Dinoplex/MSD | FerrariChat

Dinoplex/MSD

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by magnum15, Oct 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I need a MSD Box for a 83' 400i. Anyone has the wiring diagram for that?
    MSD #6200 ok for that car? What else do i need to install the MSD Ignition x?Unit? Or does anybody know who may rebuild/restore this Dinoplex's?

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Permatune will rebuild your factory box for around a grand. It works perfect.

3. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Will leave the antique Dino and malfunction in his place, dont want to spend a grand on passe technologie. Rather add MSD for fraction of price.
    So any help with wire diag is appriciated.

4. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I would call MSD tech support. The last time I had a question about a special application, I called them and they FAXed me a wiring diagram.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe Permatune actually replaces the Dinoplex internals with a modern electronic ignition...

6. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    We have an exchange program. A rebuilt exchange unit is $2340 with a $1000 core charge. If you're a Ferrari Club of America member we can give you a 10% discount (you can join here). We also can give you 30 days without charging you for the core, ask for details.

The rebuilt units look just like the original units but contain modern electronics.

PS: Good idea, wrote to Tech Support MSD!

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    also check the MSD website, it has everything you need. I am in London or wouldd provide url otherwise.

John

8. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    http://www.msdignition.com

Our '82 400i has an MSD 7AL-2. I could check the specific wiring, but it looks straight forward. The wiring diagram is on the top of the box. The only unusual thing is the 11,000 RPM rev limiter module. Not sure if the limiter is affected by the number of cylinders or the person who put it in just didn't want a limit...

9. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #9 magnum15, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the diagram provided by MSD.
    Not really great in details. The Coil is already connected to power sources.
    They dont mention to disconnect or just add (orange/black) to the excisting coil. Etc...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Check out page 4 of the 7AL-2 instructions... It says "This is the only wire that makes electrical contact with the coil..." One might assume (do you feel lucky ;) ) that the wiring is the same for other models...

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You have to remove any original wires to the ignition coil and use only the orange and black wires from the MSD unit. The MSD unit no longer uses just a standard 12v to power the ignition coil, but instead charges a capacitor and that is used to fire the ignition coil. The wiring diagram is pretty simple and self-explanatory.
    They work very well, but do have somewhat of a reputation for not being super reliable among racers.

Brian

12. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks all!
    Makes sense only one power source. I will pickup a new MSD coil today and put everything together.
    Will post result bad or good.....:D

13. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Used the MSD 6 Offroad box because it's black, waterproof and shockproof. The Dinoplex is still in place with wires still connected and the MSD box is installed under the right headlight unit where it is virtually impossible to see. The point of getting the waterproof one is because it's up behind the grill and more exposed to the elements.

I can't attest to exactly what the improvement was because a number of things were done at the same time. The result was a great running 400iA that starts on the first spin of the engine every time.

Al

14. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you have any pictures of where you mounted the MSD?

Ours came with an MSD mounted on the left fender-well, blocking the cold air duct path. I recently did some rough mesurements and it seems that the MSD might fit where the Dinoplex was. Moving the MSD and replacing the air pump with an electric GM unit, should recover the space for both cold air intake ducts... :)

Picture:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135885661&postcount=5

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've seen a lot of MSD's mounted in place of the factory unit on the hood.
    It'll fit.

16. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #16 400iGuy, Oct 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Next time I take the grill out I'm going to wrap the wires in black so they aren't so visible. It also looks like I need to wash the bugs off from this last weekend!

Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the picture. :)

I don't think I can get away with that location as my MSD is only listed as being moisture resistant. I'm going to go for the original location...