Dinos and a child seat | FerrariChat

Dinos and a child seat

Discussion in '206/246' started by Sal Manzur, Jan 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    1. Image Unavailable, Please Login I went for a short drive today with my 20 month old child in the Dino.
    Car seat was secured just barely.
    Anyone done this before?

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Sal, I'm all for getting tikes involved in cars, and blast around in the M3 with my girl. But under 8 in the front seat is a huge no-no...Just saying, keep safe, I'm pretty sure if seen/caught that may land you in hot water...

3. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur

4. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    I was just in my residential street
    where there is no traffic. I have been dying to see his reaction
    to a drive on the Dino.
    So far he has been facing backwards on the rear middle of my
    Ml350. Very safe place.
    I have not received a straight answer to children on front seat
    Of a two seater car. I understand
    Cars with air bags but what about
    Cars without?

5. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I used to drive my kids around all the time in my Dino, from when they were infants. They were usually asleep by the first stop sign. The noise and vibration of the Dino is perfect for even the crankiest kid!

The reason for the back seat requirement is air bags, which don't exist in a Dino. Nevertheless, I did have a close look at the legislation in my jurisdiction to make sure.

I once got stopped by the police while driving my 2 year old around. Here's what we discussed:

1. Baby in the front seat: I reassured him there were no airbags in the car.
    2. Racing style seat belts: Apparently not allowed in street cars here. I explained the car originally came without any seatbelts at all. Should I revert to original?
    3. No front license plate: I told him I'd ordered one from the factory in Italy and it was taking a while.

I think he just wanted a look at the car. :)

BTW, Mercedes has kid seats you can use in the front of your ML350. They automatically disable the air bags. Great to have! (I still have a couple of heavily used ones!)

LARRYH likes this.
  6. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    Thank you for this information.
    I think any Dino owner would like
    To see the look of their child in a Dino. The modern child seats
    Are more bulky and don’t allow
    The seat belt to go through the bottom so it is very difficult to secure
    Properly in a Dino. I won’t customize
    The seat belts like I did on my 66 Mustang convertible. There I drilled half of a racing seat belt on to the frame and used it to clip on to the car seat.

7. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    It is in the rear
    Middle.

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Haha, when I was a kid they stuck a piece of plastic under you, fastened a lap belt, and you were off.
    Times have changed.

9. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    Not Dino related. About 2 or 3 weeks after my friend's #3 son was born, my friend was at Laguna Seca with his GT40 at a Shelby Club Meet. My friend's wife came over to show everyone the new baby. When she went to the rest room, we rushed to get the baby seat out of her car and strap it into the GT40. Then as we were strapping the baby into the seat, she returned. I learned something that day; some women just do not have a sense of humor.

10. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    Ha! That’s great

11. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    #11 Rory J, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    I rode home in my dad's new-to-him 246 GTS when I was 5 yrs old in '85 (and plenty more times before the age of 8), but those were different times I guess. I remember that I was small enough that the lap belt nearly couldn't get tight enough due to the bolsters on the sides of the seats. Dad was pretty nervous driving home (first-time owner) and I was told a couple times to stop asking questions so he could concentrate on driving! When we got home, he pulled me out of the car through the open roof so I wouldn't accidentally open the door into the garage wall.

I also remember not being able to see much outside of the car (too short at 5), which made the noise and sensation of the car that much more special.

12. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    And you never forgot!. That’s my objective.

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I took my daughters for rides in the front seat of my cars in the day ... I recall taking my now 14year old in a car seat for a ride in my 67 side pipe 427 corvette convertible.....now talk about vibrations she loved the ride... and in my 59 corvette... one hot day... my 19 year old nephew still remembers me taking him for the afternoon to a car show in one of my cars when he was 3.....
    they were always safe and soundly strapped in car seats and of course we would drive the cars carefully when carrying precious cargo...
    my daughter has ridden in my Dino several times but she was older by the time I got that car.....

15. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    My little boy will ride again. Maybe there is a seat belt extension I can buy like they use in the airlines

LARRYH likes this.