Dinos in the Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide Summer/Fall 2013 Edition | FerrariChat

Dinos in the Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide Summer/Fall 2013 Edition

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Jul 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#1 dinogts, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Many of you have probably seen the current 2013 Summer/Fall edition of the Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide - but for those of you who haven't, here is a photo of the cover and a photo of the Dino 246 listings. According to SCM, the **** Forecast Rating means that Dinos "Will outperform the market at large, perhaps 10% gain in 12 months." Also, SCM indicates that the 246 GT Coupe has risen in value by 21% over the past 12 months, and the 246 GT Spyder has risen in value 19% during the same time period. Also note that the SCM says to add 15% for C&F.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I think it'***** or miss. They consistently say the BMW 2002 turbo is worth $18K, in reality they trade $50-75K.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I saw that the SCM Pocket Price Guide says a BMW 2002tii is worth $22K to $30K (sold mine 5 years ago for $25K) and a 2002 turbo is worth $14K to $22K.

I would have liked to have had a 2002 turbo. I have seen and driven a few great ones, but funny thing - every one (including the ones that I have driven) has had a history of running problems that can be fixed for a while, and then the problems come back. Unfortunately, the turbo engine seems to have been underdeveloped so maybe that is why SCM values them less than a proper and well-cared for 2002tii.

But, I think SCM has finally caught on to the values of Dinos.

4. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nice to see that SCM is finally catching up with more realistic values on the Dino. However, I remain perplexed by the value differential between the GTS and GT. At the top end for example, the gap in favor of the GTS is $185,000. I have never been able to understand how the production number difference or the open top experience justifies that level of disparity. My guess is that the gap will eventually reduce over time to perhaps $75,000.00 or so which would mean more growth potential for the GT.

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yeah, especially since the GT is prettier, IMHO.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    So is this SCM Pocket Price Guide only available to subscribers to the rag? I went to a local Barnes & Noble which had the Aug 2013 issue of the rag, but no Price Guide. I'd like a copy since one of the Dinos on the cover is mine.

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I think that is true.

I get it maybe twice a year in the plastic pack along with some glossy auction guide.

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I ll send you mine if you pm me your address. If I can find it......

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #9 UroTrash, Jul 23, 2013
  10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    PM sent...thanks!

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    How many stars does that have under the "Investment Grade" column?

12. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    4 (****) == "Will outperform the market at large: perhaps 10% gain in 12 months"

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

At the same time, a recent FML review of auction prices states that Dino prices have been erratic, and cautions that the market maybe softening - but at the prices that the FML mentions, I am still more than happy as an owner.

14. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

NOTE: The SCM INVESTMENT GRADE is different from the SCM FORECAST RATING!

According to SCM (in part), Investment Grade B = Cars that have something special about them, often technical innovation, style or competition provenance - but normally not all three.

As per SCM:

A Forecast Rating of 4 (****) means the value will outperform the market at large; perhaps 10% gain in 12 months.

A Forecast Rating of 3 (***) means that the car is fully priced at the current time. Will appreciate or depreciate along with the market at large.

So, synchro, are you asking about the Investment Grade of the 246GT/GTS, or about the BMW 2002 turbo?

If you are asking about the BMWs:

The BMW 2002 turbo's Investment Grade is a B, with a Forecast of 4 (****) and SCM predicts a gain of about 11%

The BMW 2002 tii's Investment Grade is also a B, with a Forecast of 3 (***) and SCM says no change

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #15 UroTrash, Aug 1, 2013
    b 4* 11%

It is preposterous to say a turbo is worth less than a tii.

To say they down value the turbo because it is troublesome makes no sense. The $ value should be from sales and auctions.

16. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Glad to see the Dino is doing well, as I have one

Way off topic,but what does it say about Series 1 jaguar xke? And '67-69 Porsche 911?

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

You need to be specific as to which Series 1 E-type (year/flat floor/convertible or coupe/3.8 or 4.2 you want a price for as the SCM lists a wide range from $40,000 low to $92,500 with various investment grades, forecasts, and % changes.

Same type of issues with getting a price on a 67-69 Porsche 911.

18. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Those are certainly behind the market...
    3.8 coupe (flat floor was just the first 500 basically)
    4.2 closed headlight drop head

911:
    1967 S soft rear window targa
    1967 S coupe
    1969 E and S soft rear window targa

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If someone knows of a choice 2002, restored, for $ 15K, I am definitely a buyer.

These guides are off the wall...

Regards, Alberto

20. dino_246_gt

dino_246_gt Rookie

Dec 14, 2007
    NL
    Full Name:
    Petra
    A light hearted approach to valuables - and "where to park those spare millions" - at The Economist:

Video: The Economist valuables index: Where to park those spare millions | The Economist
    Index: Valuables
    Article: The Economist valuables index: Fruits of passion | The Economist

Pay notice to the collectable examples used in the video ;-)
    Also, having acquired my Dino in 2006, and having it evaluated (for insurance purposes) regularly, I must admit my Dino's value pretty much follows the grey line in the graph.