disabling ASR permanently | Page 2 | FerrariChat

disabling ASR permanently

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 456_MGTA, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    I see no one answered your question , just gave you reasons not to disable ASR.
    Does anyone have the answere he is looking for ?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nope, but not too hard to do, just maybe not the smartest thing to do.

3. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    how would you disable ASR ? not using the switch ?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #29 Qavion, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    I'd say that no one who has read this thread knows the answer to this, Dean.

You could perhaps permanently disable the ASR by shorting out pins on the ASR Cutoff module plug or, alternatively, by unplugging this unit. Unfortunately, there are no clear diagrams of the internals of this module so it's not clear which action would disable the ASR. For info: The module is designed to put a latch on the cutout circuit until the ignition is turned off. I believe it is located in the passenger footwell (?).

Here is a 550 wiring diagram showing the ASR Cutoff Module (item 155).

Ferrari_550_ABS_&_ASR_Wiring_Diagram

Please let us know if you can figure it out, especially the wiring related to splice 217. Does the cutoff module take power off this splice (during cutoff ops) or is power present here all the time? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a 550, 456 or 575, so I can't check. Does the ASR cutoff switch take power off the suspension switch?

I'd say that whatever you do, the dashboard warning will show because the warning is generated by the ABS/ASR ECU.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I just realised that there is a better diagram of the internals of the ASR Cutoff Module in the Workshop Manual Brake section.

Theory: Pushing the ASR switch for 1 second latches the solenoid in the ASR Cutoff Module and puts pin 5 of the module to earth via an unknown component (perhaps a resistor). This earth or resistance is presented on pin 44 of the ABS/ASR ECU, disabling the ASR during acceleration.

Perhaps someone who wishes to bypass this car's safety feature (at their own risk), could remove the plug from the ASR Cutoff module and check the resistance(?) between pin 2 and pin 4 of the module, he/she could progress from here. He/she could perhaps remove the ASR Cutoff Module plug and put a jumper wire on the loose plug between pin 2 and pin 5 (with a resistance in the jumper wire). Pin 2 is a black wire, pin 4 is not used, pin 5 is white-yellow. I've updated my diagram (now version #12) showing the added detail, with the unknown resistance (?) in magenta.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's a picture of the ASR Cutout Module

Image Unavailable, Please Login

You would have to determine pin numbering by looking for the unused socket on the plug. This will be pin #4.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's the ABS/ASR wiring diagram for the 456M with updated ASR Cutout Module internals

Ferrari_456_ABS_&_ASR_Wiring_Diagram

Pin 5 has a white-yellow wire, pin 4 is not used, pin 2 has a black wire. Like the 550, check the resistance between pin 2 and 4 (Hopefully there are no capacitors or diodes in that circuit to mess with your multimeter).

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    On the 550 the ASR is very intrusive - that's something I remembered very well, and even within a few miles with my "new" 550 it was triggered a few times with no real reason... the 575 was far more subtle, with "sport" mode making it even more subdued. On a track the ASR had to be off on the 550, and even on the road it's sometimes a pain. That's the price to pay for old technology ;)

Qavion likes this.
  10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The digital throttle makes all the difference in ASR smoothness.

11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    IMHO, 550 is undrivable with ASR ON - conditions are a hot CA road with modern rubber. It's always off in those conditions and car is sublime.

Will report back once it rains, I suspect it to be tremendously useful in slick conditions.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not see what the deal is? ASR is just one button press off or on. Modern cars a real pain hold down 5 seconds rub your belly pat your head. 550asr is a pleasure by comparison. It’s old first gen traction control not work very well but with good street tires it never comes on unless people showing off. On track or as needed just turn it off. Stickier the tire the less it comes in at any street speed.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #38 Qavion, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    As mentioned in the other thread, the ASR Cutout Module internal circuits shown in the wiring diagrams don't match the real internals in any way. Perhaps someone could take a photograph of the wiring going into the plug (showing module orientation). It may help me figure out how to test this module... although I may have already fried my test unit by applying power in the wrong places. The 456 module is mounted to the back of the relay panel access door. The 550 module appears to be located above the relay panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pin 3 seems to be the output, but I've arbitrarily numbered the pins. I need a photo of the wiring on the car to know if I've got the numbering correct.

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    In the absence of volunteers... I continued to do experiments on the ASR exclusion module. It appears that during ASR cutout mode, the module puts a resistance of 562 ohms (to earth) on pin 5 of the exclusion module (if this pin matches the white-yellow wire going to the ABS module pin 44 ... photo still required). This 562 ohm resistance is the blue resistor shown in the photo above (with the green/blue/red/black/brown stripes).

So, in theory, you could pull the plug off the ASR Exclusion Module, and jumper socket 2 (black wire) and socket 5 (white-yellow wire) with a 562 ohm resistor. This would be completely reversible if you wanted your car back to normal.

This would still show the ASR warning light... until it burnt out with continuous illumination ;)

Revised (but still simplified) wiring diagram here:

15. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    Is your TPMS light on also ? The TPMS is tied into the ASR. Us only factory sensors .

16. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    On my 575 I think the ABS module is linked to the ASR . I think the one module controls both systems .

17. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    Did you solve your ASR problem ?

18. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    I repaired my ASR problem with repair on ABS/ASR module and O.E. TPMS sensors .
    I am now loosing calibration sometimes and the ASR comes on. I am going to pull the TPMS module and have it checked.
    TPMS scan tool show no problems. Have you run across this before ? I am open to any insight .
    Much thanks
    Dino

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not sure if this question was specifically aimed at me, but no, I have no idea what's going on with your car :p

20. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    Sorry to say NO . I still have ASR problems. I sent my computers out to Florida and they went thru them.
    It worked for one trip to Malibu and ending up driving home in second gear. limp mode doesn't allow you 3rd gear.
    I pulled codes p1611,1631,1538,1463 and 0246 . the killer for me is on restart the ASR light goes on and the car is undrivable.
    I'm going in the direction of a sensor that heats up and fails ? I've talked to computer repair company and they will get back to me ?
    Any suggestions?? , I'll keep you posted

21. dinos575m

dinos575m Rookie

Oct 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dean Pellegrino
    having problem smogging 02 575 , secondary air monitor does not set.
    anyone know the driving sequences to set monitor? thanks Dino

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    See if this helps. For the 360 (7.3.1) and 575M (7.1.1).

Attached Files: