Disassembling 360 headlights | FerrariChat

Disassembling 360 headlights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by billwann, Jul 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    #1 billwann, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have read a few threads on how to clean the heads light son 360s and how to remove the clear cover from the body colors base .
    I thought i would share how easy it is to do . First off someone posted cooking the head light in an oven to soften the sealant used to bond the two half's together . This wont work . the sealant used is a silicon based sealant it it has on hell of a melting point . It took it up too 450 degrees in the oven and it did nothing . The plastic will melt way before that . My headlights we in perfect condition before attempting this . I decided to take then apart because I would like to change the color of the car . It only takes about 20 minutes to remove the front bumper and about 15 minutes per side to remove the headlights . To get the two halves apart you first have to pick a starting point . I started right in the middle of one of the long sides . I used an assortment of flat blade screwdrivers and small pry bars to get the two haves apart enough to cut the sealant with a snap off utility knife . One you get th pry bar all the way through just work you way around . pry a little bit , cut the sealant and move an inch or two and repeat untill it comes apart . the lens is one strong piece of plastic . you would have to be one serious gorilla to break it . I was able to flex it pretty far .
    It takes about 20 minutes a side to get them apart .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    You kidding??!?!?!!? But what about the others who said it was impossible to get the tools all the way through due to the angle of the lip?
    Would love to hear from the others on this as well. But, that being said, I guess the proof is in the pudding.

I've been so itchy lately to deal with my lights; looks like I'll tackle this when the rains return and the car is garage-bound.
    Great job Bill and thanks for posting hope!

3. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Nothing is impossible if you want to do it . The trick is to pry the half's apart far enough so that the you can cut the seal with a knife .
    If you pry it with a screwdriver iam sure it will break . That why you use a small flat bar . something with about 2inches to pry the half's apart . Once you get the sealant cut it will start to peel its way apart just keep the pressure steady and cut any sealant with a knife to make things go faster .