Discount for high mileage ---488 Spider | FerrariChat

Discount for high mileage ---488 Spider

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HouTex67, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HouTex67

HouTex67 Rookie

Oct 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Patrick Sullivan
    Anyone have any thoughts on how much of a discount should be expected when purchasing a 2016 488 Spider with approximately 17,000 miles on it? The amount of mileage is not bothersome as long as I can figure out a fair discount on the front end. I intend to put 3,000 to 4,000 miles a year on it, and will likely own it for 3 to 4 years. I know there is no exact science to this. My goal is just to make sure that I account for the millage in the purchase price offer.

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I knew this thread would gone a challenge as soon as I saw the word discount, and the numbers 488, within close proximity. I don’t think a ferrari dealer will make much allowance for 17000 miles im afraid while the demand for 488 is so strong. Someone will buy it. Technically, it’s just been driven a bit, but with free servicing and warranty, why are 17000 an issue?

If you like it, go drive a great deal, but I wouldn’t be expecting miracles I’m afraid. Enjoy the car and don’t worry about the money is my advice!

:)

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's kind of funny calling a car with 17K high mileage.

I agree with Sid that you are not likely to find much of a discount over a car with say only 2K.

However, demand must be different in Old England. Last week I went to a book signing by Luca Dal Monte at Ferrari of New England and I think I counted 8 488's on the floor.

4. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I think you would be surprised. Theres 16 488's that are trading in for 100k off original sticker. That car very well might have a price with a 1 instead of a 2. Owners have really taken baths on these cars.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Wow, I need to get to the US sooner than later and take advantage then. My impressions here are that they are like rocking horse poop! I suppose there is always a tipping point for every model, where they are holding values great and then supply suddenly just goes past demand and bang, they slide..

To be honest, it, and the recent models before them, are all great cars and much more capable of coping with the miles a bit better, so if there are a few out there, go get one, it won’t be a disappointment

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes Nate, I agree on the discount. My point was the discount on a 17K mile car wouldn't be much less than on an identical 2K mile car.

7. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I am not sure why you are getting responses that the price of cars would be similar for a 17k miles car vs 2k miles. Just ask yourself, would you pay the same price for the higher mileage car where the cars were very similar other than for miles? Even if you assume $2 per mile for depreciation, that would make the price $30k less for the higher mileage car.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    My thoughts exactly.

The reason for a discount ? Resale value. All things being equal, the higher mileage car will be harder to sell and thus result in a discount. If not today, some day.

We aren’t talking about an Enzo or LaF.