Discuss Malaysian GP Results Here! | FerrariChat

Discuss Malaysian GP Results Here!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Brian C. Stradale, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    To prevent results from showing up in a title, I figured I'd start the thread with an innocuous title...

Dominant performance from Schumi.
    Rubens was strong most of the way... but not the best early on got him behind.
    Alonso ran a good race... would have been interesting had he not gotten stuck behind Coulthard.

Thoughts?

2. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Congrats to Ferrari. Cool about Button getting his first podium.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yeah, and I'll bet the next thread title is a spoiler anyway....

Good to see the 'other' teams coming on strong. Who would have figured that BAR would have more constructor points than McClarean?

Schumi Jr. isn't doing a whole lot to help his salary negotiations...

Shame to see Weber blow the start. That obviously affected him, as his driving style was not typical throughout the rest of the race.

Once they got past the first few corners, it was obvious who was going to win (barring engine failure). Might be a long year for the Ferrari haters

It's late, I'm headed to bed :)

4. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    1 Michael Schumacher Ferrari Winner
    2 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW +5.0 secs
    3 Jenson Button BAR-Honda +11.5 secs
    4 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari +13.6 secs
    5 Jarno Trulli Renault +37.3 secs
    6 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes +53.0 secs
    7 Fernando Alonso Renault +67.8 secs
    8 Felipe Massa Sauber-Petronas +1 Lap
    9 Cristiano da Matta Toyota +1 Lap
    10 Christian Klien Jaguar-Cosworth +1 Lap
    11 Giancarlo Fisichella Sauber-Petronas +1 Lap
    12 Olivier Panis Toyota +1 Lap
    13 Giorgio Pantano Jordan-Ford +2 Lap
    14 Gianmaria Bruni Minardi-Cosworth +3 Lap
    15 Takuma Sato BAR-Honda +4 Lap
    16 Zsolt Baumgartner Minardi-Cosworth +4 Lap
    Ret Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes +16 Lap
    Ret Nick Heidfeld Jordan-Ford +22 Laps
    Ret Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW +29 Laps
    Ret Mark Webber Jaguar-Cosworth +33 Laps

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I thought Sato retired!?
    But results shows he finished 15th... I suppose because he had more laps before retiring than Zsolt who finished??

I ask because I projected (tipped) 15 would finish. Was I right or wrong?

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I guess we will only know how they classify it once they post the results. At best i can figure is i had a bad weekend on my tips scoring only 24 points (Estimate) for this one. But i feel that this will be a lower scoring weekend with Webber in the mix on qualifications........

Of well it is off to bed for me..

Great job Ferrari and hats off to Michael

Forza Ferrari 2 for 2 so far.

Rob

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Bit worried about RB not being able to catch the Buttons BAR !

8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    A driver is classified as finished if he completes more than 90% (I think) race distance.

9. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Schumi 1st!!

Button did great and we can see the BAR are really becoming a serious contender. When Button came out the pits in front of Raikkonen ,we saw Kimi's McLaren not able to catch the BAR.

Renault : Bad strategy ...
    Remember when Alonso passed Coulthard and then they both came into the pits and we saw Renault putting more fuel so that Alonso could finish the race and to be in front of DC. Bad move cuz it didn't work, DC finished in front of him.

10. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Webber's luck better change soon, or else he is going to end up with the same reputation as Trulli. Quick, but can't finish a race.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That has always been the rule, and I don't believe that's changed. Nonrunners who complete 90% are classified; runners who don't complete 90% are not.

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    We were more interested on how the F1tipping.com handled the situation if they classified Sato as a finisher or not. For the FerrariChat Fantasy F1 league.

Rob

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Isn't it interesting how both BAR and Jag have come alive (a little) after canning Jacs and Eddie....

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I am impressed with BAR's results so far they have suprised myself a bit and there preseason testing times are proving to be no fluke. It is a shame that Sato melted down at the closing stages of the race.

As for jag they have made good improvements but i think they still need some work. And i cannot belive some of the driving that Webber did down that front straight. that move was insane.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Weber seemed very frustrated. And why wouldn't he after his start. That move on the front straight was a little extreme though. Then he got muscled out by Ralf in turn one and cut a tire (was that before or after the front straight move??). Anyway, I think he could have had a good result if it were not for some really bad luck/breaks.

16. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Pretty good race.Some good action early when the conditions were a little iffy.Man I need some more sleep.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was impressed with Sato being able to power up to what- 8th or 6th? - even after starting in the back of the grid and then spinning out. They finally mentioned this up towards the end of the race right before he retired. I exclaimed 'yes!' with a raised fist when Raikkonen's MB died again...

Felt bad for Webber because he was probably overdoing it the whole race after the good qualifying, and everything crapped out on him.

I'm excited for these new Bridgestones: they were saying that the company has an even newer compound tire that is better than MS' from the past two races, which was a more 'intermediate' tire.

18. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Congrats Schumy again !!

Forza Ferrari

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes pissed off with his start, but thank God we have a racing driver on the grid instead of a 'no balls' driver. His pass of RS was awesome ... it was a fnck you I am coming through, and pushed him wide. I think that is the first time in about the last 5 years of F1 that I have seen some motor racing ;) ... as for the blocking move on the straight, AGAIN what do you expect a racing driver to do, pull over off the track and get out and drop their pants and let the other driver fnck him up the arse. This sort of blocking maneouvre is part of REAL racing and occurs in every race series EXCEPT F1 (except for MS) and when it happens everybody goes ... oh dear one driver is being a little dangerous!!! Remember the passing driver can choose to lift to stop the contact ... and Weber did not change direction more than once, he went to his right.

In the good old days drivers did this all the time and it was all on REAL racing ... so please do not make too much noice or the rule makers will ensure that NO driver is allowed to race and that they HAVE to hold their starting positions until the end of the race.

This is why I rate Weber, as he is not in awe of the established drivers, he is prepared to take his gloves off and RACE, and give him a fast car that can finish and we might see somebody bump wheels with MS :D

I must say that the first 10 laps was great racing, heaps of passing, heaps of fighting on the track ... but then I went to bed because Weber was stuffed and MS was embarrassing the rest of the 'I'm not really a racing driver brigade' ...

As for RB ... hmmm, he chose the wrong tyre, but IMO he is lucky to have a job after that performance.

Pete

20. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I liked this one. It was one of the "real" races that I've seen in a long time. Lots of passing, lots of guessing (aside from MS). Boy did I feel bad for Weber though. Not cause I thought he could win, but it was one bad thing after another, and then he was out altogether. Looking forward to the rest of the season :)

21. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    As for blocking it wasn't done "all the time" back ion the good ol' days. It happened but not every turn. It's still dangerous and still a poor way to hold a position. If I was run all the way to that walll I would make damn sure whoever stonewalled me would pay. So where do you draw the line? That block was ok? So my forcing him off track in the next turn is ok? That block was dirty and if he was passed, then he should fight back and get by. That is racing not swerving back and forth on the straights. I don't accept that from any driver and have never thought of doing it myself. Thumbs down.

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have been following f1 since 1972.
    f1 at the moment is complete bullsh.t.

20 car fields, vs 30+
    the leader lapping all the way to 6th or 8th place.
    6th coming in over a minute behind the leader.
    half the field not deserving their superlicense but there anyway because they have the money to pay for a seat.

etcetc

i love it that ferrari is winning because there was a fair old drought before the schumi era. but the whole thing is just getting stupid.