Dismantled Barns...for wood floors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dismantled Barns...for wood floors

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by msdesignltd, Feb 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If your slab wasn't done with keeping moisture levels way below grade via a deep bead and drainage then that is a potential issue. There are barriers you could apply first though. I was thinking of sheet flooring and not the kind with a thin clear layer over the top. It's the same composition all the way through about 1/8" think. Solarian used to be one product name. It's only 8ft wide but you can seam it. You need a good installer who works with the stuff regularly though. But I haven't shopped that stuff in 15 years. Yeah tiles would have soooo many places to fail with all those seams.

Best of luck.

2. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I would avoid linoleum tile, rubber or any rolled product - it will show every little imperfection in the slab when the car is rolled over it. Ceramic tile, if specified and installed correctly, is an option - car dealers use it in showrooms all the time. If it was my project, I would use red brick - the contrast would really bring out the beauty of the wood walls. Brick (and ceramic tile which looks like brick) is available in thin profiles so it will fit under the base moulding.

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
  4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Rolling a floor jack over grout seams with a few hundred pound or more on it?

I use masonite on the tile floors in my rental units and home when I move a fridge or stove.

The tile in my kitchen cracks when a 3 lb jar falls out of the fridge but I'm not sure if any real work is going to be done in this garage anyway? Just get a couple extra boxes of the tile & grout then learn how to replace the tiles and grout.

Make certain the installer gets a good bond with the concrete and no voids.