Dispute with Bell mobility. Any advice? | FerrariChat

Dispute with Bell mobility. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ferrarilover, Aug 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    #1 ferrarilover, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
    I'm in a dispute with Bell right now. Long story short but a few saturdays ago went wakeboarding with the phone in my pocket and after removing the battery and letting the it dry for 3 days, everything works fine except it can't find a signal. A Bell tech on the phone walked me through a manual reprogram but no change. I have been negotiating with them for a replacement phone even as far as what they call 'the retention department' and since I've got a year left in my contract I went from a $50 credit to a $100 credit. Ok that may seem generous but it still wouldn't get me a suitable replacement without me paying $$ for hardware when a brand new customer has lots of options for example a Blackberry Pearl for $0.00. I have been with Bell since 2001 (home phone and internet) and 2 cell phones now in my name (mine and my wifes) and pay my bills so feel I'm a good customer but I'm getting the impression that I am not valued by Bell. I inquired about breaking contract to go with another option (telus - a friend is a manager at corporate or rogers - a friend has offered me his old Pearl for free) and it appears thats not an option at all: $400 to break contract. I am also disputing some changes in my Sympatico internet increases ($35/mo to $55/mo) and substantial increase in our long distance plan on the phone but that is another story. So. I have been told (co-workers, friends etc) I can take the phone back to the store and tell them my phone is not working and leave out the water damage part (exclusion clause in contract) and will get a replacement phone. I would like to stay with Bell up to this point been happy with everything and had issues in the past with Rogers and am told Telus's coverage isn't great. Is it possible to stick it to them with an offer of ie. "Ok. New phone, new contract, etc"; meaning: give them an offer of my business with something concrete instead of me calling and asking, 'ok what can you do for me'.

Oh! And, I've been researching and learning about this sort of situation. I need to have rice handy in the future as it apparently is a good absorbant/desicant (haha). I have also been advised of a white dot on the battery that turns red when it gets wet and mine is......white.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your responses.

ALSO SEE: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206837

Chris

2. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi Chris
    The likelihood is that since you called CS there is now a note on your file indicating that you soaked the phone. The store you return it to might or might not check the file. Or Bell might check it after they process the returned phone. If you didn't tell them why it stopped working then you stand a chance.
    Don't expect service from Bell, they just laid off 2500 managers. The CSR won't have any leeway to help you. Bell Mobility and Telus Mobility will likely go away over time unless they move to GSM. They will have increasing difficulty getting decent handsets, the CDMA market is too small for manufacturers to care about. Thier internal handset costs must be higher due to this so they have less leeway in pricing options.

I would read your actual contract regarding the early termination. $400 sounds high for 1 year left. Over the years this fee has changed, I am thankfully no longer a Bell customer on anything. In fact my land line is now VoiP and costs 3.50/month plus usage. I doubt I will see more than $8 per month on that. (.01 incoming, .015 outgoing anywhere in NA), .02 to UK and NL).
    If you go with Rogers, buy your basic phone somewhere else, otherwise it will be locked to Rogers. This prevents you from using other SIM cards, eg. in Europe. You also avoid contracts this way, there might actually be some choice (we live in hope) in a year or two with the recent spectrum sales.

Gerrit

3. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Thanks for the info Gerrit. You are right it seems their hands are always tied. In fact with the home phone the rep said "I can reduce your bill by $1.00" and then she lets out a little laugh. Ya thats funny all right!

So I'm banking on the hope theres no notes and/or the Bell store I deal with doesn't check just does a swap.

Are you sure they keep track of conversations? It appears they don't keep notes each time I call and I have to refresh all the info. VOiP sounds interesting. Do tell more or send me a link if you can.

Chris

4. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Hit them where it hurts and switch the services that are not under contract. Like your Internet, long distance and home phone. Only suckers use Bell. They are over priced and have bad service. As for the cell phone, get a cheap one until your contracts runs out.

I have 0 services with Bell.

5. Maas

Maas Rookie

Jan 22, 2005
    so you broke your phone and expect the phone company to pay for it???? You've got to be kidding me.

I cant' believe people these days. If you drove your ferrari into a lake would you expect Ferrari to give you another?

6. sjolly

sjolly Guest

Apr 10, 2006
    toronto
    u r retarded

7. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Maas and sjolly thanks for bumping my thread.

You should read my post to understand what I'm after. Read betweent the lines.

Chris

8. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I dont want to sound like another "retarded" person in this thread...but Im going to have to agree with this.

Just think about it. You agreed to go with Bell as your service provider. Bell offered you a phone at a discounted rate, based on the fact that you would agree to service with them for a period of time. Bell has to make up its loss on the phone by you paying for the service on the phone they provided. Now, if you drop that phone in water or run over if with your car....how is that Bells fault? They still have to make up the money they lost on the phone in the first place. If you want another free phone, Bell is losing more money on you. Big companies like that cant just give away phones when people drop them in water. They are trying to make money too. They dont mind losing a customer here or there that is pissed off because they cant give them a phone. Bell wll gain a Telus customer that did the same thing and left Telus. What makes you think any other cell phone company is different?

Just suck it up and by yourself a new phone. Dont blame Bell for not giving you something for free when its your own fault you broke the phone.

9. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I went and re-read the initial note - and I don't think that's quite the argument. He's 2 years into a 3 year contract. He's convinced he's having to pay much more than 1/3 the discount to start over. And there's a huge cancellation fee to walk. Upset enough he's willing to bend the truth a bit to stay with Bell, rather than walking across the street and starting over with someone else.

Cell phones are quite the addiction, and we're just the sheep being led around.
    I think?

10. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Thank you Tom, you basically got it. I have been happy with Bell, and want more out of them at this point. It is pretty low of me to expect them to pay for my carelessness and I own that. I just thought I'd see if anyone has any way around it especially my history with them and I dont think everyone on this board are 'saints' so seeing whats been done out there.

furious_ferrari: You are right, whether cell phones or cars or dishwashers, consumer dissatisfaction, upset etc happens in all businesses with selling and people switch all the time. As Tom pointed out, I'm not keen on going elsewhere. I've had lots of problems with Rogers (particularly with internet and billing errors) in the past so not keen on going there (everything with Bell as I said up to this point has been great), and I've heard Telus doesn't have great area coverage.

Chris

11. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    You also cannot use the argument that you have internet, home phone and so on with Bell. The people you call to find out about getting you a new phone have no access to your internet and home phone history. Those people will only look at your cell phone history and how much per month you are paying. If you are paying more then $60 per month (per phone) on a regular basis, then they would be more willing fto give you an offer to resign. They are obviously making more money on you therefore dont mind if you stay.

For someone that is 2 years into a 3 year contract and has had a history with a Telus would easily get a renewal offer for a new phone. I know you claim that Telus doesnt have the best coverage over there, but maybe it is time to switch.

Just so you know, I do work for Telus and have dealt with a lot of these situations. I do know how you feel and I really hope that Bell can work something out for you.

Best of luck!

12. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I had my phone replaced when I walked in a store and simply said "it doesn't get any reception in my house like it used to". They gave me a new (identical) one ... when it wasn't even the issue. That was with Fido, a year or 2 into the contract.
    Regarding billing, I got sick of the 20Gb limit (videotron cable), so called them up 2 mo before the end of the contract telling them I wanted to cancel ... they ended up giving me the extra high speed for the price of the basic one.

Not necesserily advice, but gives you an idea of what other get ... they don't sound to be working with you at all on this one. Quite surprisingly, I must say so.

13. sjolly

sjolly Guest

Apr 10, 2006
    toronto
    you should stay in barrie

14. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    HUH?

15. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Chris, I think this thread is done...

16. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Thanks Vasco, I got some great suggestions, Thanks guys, and some guys not sure what they are up to.

Anyways, I've resolved the issue and taken care of things.

Chris