Disturbing Films | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Disturbing Films

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by whart, Apr 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Signs
    Halloween I (none of the others)
    Mothman Prophesies (Indrid Cold scared the p|ss out of me)

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh! American History X was AWESOME...! Great movie...

Anyone ever see Captain Howdy...?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What's REALLY disturbing is that I rented 21 Grams, kept it here for 2 weeks and NEVER watched it!

DL

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Well, I saw 8mm, and I think while watching it that the whole plot to the movie was far fetched - in fact, its a rip-off of a Miami Vice episode.

As for there being a market for SNUFF films - yea, we all have that morbid curiosity. Explain the popularity of FACES OF DEATH film series.....I think this group of films takes the cake for this thread.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Parents ('89 - Randy Quaid, Mary Beth Hurt)

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Not sure what people have said yet but:
    The Passion(put so many things back in perspective for me, excellent)
    Faces of Death(very very disturbing and I saw one when I was like 13)
    Full Metal Jacket(pretty much a classic, but pretty freaky)

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    While watching Faces of Death -

Part of you hopes what you are seeing is fake.....
    Part of you hopes what you are seeing is real.....

The low-budget look of the film points to the latter.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I bought the DVD last week. I think I'm going to sit down and watch it after dinner tonight.

9. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    first of all anyone who gets a kick out of the absolutely disgusting should first check out: www.rotten.com

then rent all of the banned on tv videos especially #1: Girl getting hit by train, boy getting shot in the stomach by a shot gun, girl getting her leg taken off by a shark, etc etc...

If you are talking about disturbing movies:
    1) event horizon -YES I totally agree, it's scary as hell, definitely underated, this movie was amazing
    2) Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon -It's scary, and if it came out before Sixth sense, it would have been an even bigger hit
    3) House of 1000 corpses -I love horror films, and this one was a masterpiece -a tribute to the classic horror films, they just don't make 'em like this anymore -not to spoil anything but taking the face of some of the corpses and pretending to be that person was texas chainsaw genius
    4) The last barber shop movie -it sucked so bad, I can't believe it even got made
    5) I think this list can go on forever but I heard some movie called, "I spit on your grave" was pretty disturbing, never could get myself to watch it though -sounds too disgusting.
    6) Pulp fiction -poor marcellus!
    .........on and on

Great post.

Here's a scene from a movie I bet all of you guys remember, Misery -where the guy gets his ankles bashed in by the sledge hammer and the camera actually shows it... OWWWWWW!!

10. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    I must have repressed this. I did see a 2 minute segment of the film.

Horrible and inexplicable. It greatly disturbs me to even think about it as I write this. Very, very sad. Even more sad that people 1. Paid money to see it 2. Made money on the film.

11. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    1932 Film made with "Circus Sideshow Freaks" This film was outlawed in the UK. It is the single most distubing film I have ever seen.

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Yeah, my intention in asking was not so much about the gross-out factor, but the ones that leave you wondering. I agree the Tod Browning's Freaks is disturbing, not so much because of the plot, but because the "actors" were frightening, and yet so much more human, in their various deformities.

In terms of classic 'Horror,' i personally find the mental institution setting in Session 9 (like the hospital scenes in Jacob's Ladder) very ominous, but neither of those movies was disturbing in the sense of making me question my very existence. (Likewise, i always found the original Night of the Living Dead, particularly the opening scenes in the graveyard, to be scary).

I agree that the Holocause movies, like Schindler's List and the Pianist, are disturbing, but i believe this is in large part due to the fact that the events portrayed really happened, and not because the filmmaker/writer created something, from their own ingenuity or insight, that was thought-provoking.

Likewise, there are any number of movies containing shocking images: Salo; any actual footage of human or animal death/torture/maiming, etc./trash and slash-eg. "I Spit.'

Hence, my question, since there are plenty of gross films, disturbing images, etc., but which ones, beyond real shock value, really left their mark in a thought provoking way? Thanks for all the responses.

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Reservoir Dogs. The brutality of the violence in movie is still something I think about.

Event Horizon is a movie I wish I'd never seen, same w/ 8MM although I've only seen pieces and parts of 8MM on late night tv.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm confused. How did you buy it on DVD already?

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    :)

I suppose you're going to tell me that I'm not supposed to have Starsky and Hutch on DVD as well, right?

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    And really upset when I tell you both cost me $0.84 each.

17. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    but then not upset when we find out you can see the top of the audience members' heads in front of the camera and hear them laughing throughout the film...

I'm just kidding, I think the technology has been much improved lately.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Those are still out there, but can be had for $0.72 if you know how to negotiate.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just watched Dark Days, a documentary shot in B/W in '99 about people who live in the NYC subway tunnels system. The director spent 2 yrs with the people under the city. Very, very depressing, although a surprising ending.

20. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Absolutely. Irreversible should be added, if no one has. It had the most brutal rape and murder scene ever. Disturbing.

21. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I saw it when I was in my early twenties before I had kids and I was really shocked and disturbed by the scene at the train station (I won't spoil it in case there's still someone here that still hasn't seen it).

This is one film that I will only see once. Now that I have a family, I don't think I could handle watching that scene again. Wonderful, thought provoking film with the greatest actress in my mind that's ever lived.

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you want to kill some Nazis, go get "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" (PC game) and blast away!:)

Re: disturbing movies.

The Last Detail - early 1970's, Jack Nicholson, Randy Quaid. Excellent commentary on basic human confusion, injustice, and all round stupidity.

I saw the big screen rerelease of "Exorcist" a few years back, and have seen it several times on tape over 25 yrs. Never bothered me, but very entertaining.

23. Noelani

Noelani Formula Junior

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    R
    Elephant. Its about a school shooting. I liked it, but the end was hard to watch.

24. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Honestly, I can't say there's a movie that moves me. I'm used to watching Trauma on TLC, you get a weekly dose of gore on that show and it's all real.

25. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Its not about gore, its about being provoked to think about your life in a different way. See my original post, starting this thread.