Disturbing Films | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Disturbing Films

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by whart, Apr 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Is reviving two year old threads an ode to "Reanimator"? ;)

Films I found intellectually disturbing were:

"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" -http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0178105/- an old BBC2 play (one of Joanne Whalley's early works). The supposedly fact-based story of an 18 year old young woman who escapes from prison after serving ten years of a life sentence .... Hello, what? Brits view Americans as "barbaric" for having a death penalty, but what kind of barbarians sentence an 8 year old to life in prison? If you can't rehabilitate a child, you might as well hang it up. That one point pretty much overrode anything else in the film, for me. I'm hoping that the "fact-based" aspect was merely hype, not real.

"Untamed Heart" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108451/- Christian Slater, Marisa Tomei. The notion of this kid tossing his life away by refusing a heart transplant for superstitious reasons really came up against my belief in freedom: "There's no worse tyranny that forcing a man to buy something he doesn't want, just because you think it'll be good for him" -- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert A Heinlein

"Un Coeur un Hiver" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105682/: Some may find it disturbing. I thought it was hilarious. But I'm weird. ;) (Emmanual Beart isn't hard on the eyes, either.)

But then, even the dingo fight in "Quigley Down Under" could be a bit disturbing: Noting that the Giancomo character looked pretty appealing at the moment that she's standing there defending the child indicates the influence of genetic programming that accounts for that "Roy" item tossing her out in the first place: it's disturbing to find traits of a despicable film character in yourself.

Of course, on a far less intellectual level, I remember having nightmares from seeing "X: The Unknown" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049967/ - when I was way too young for that kind of flick. ;)

2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I could never watch something like that, they would have been someones brother, son and father, imagine being a yaoung child growing up knowing your daddy was murdered and shown all over the net, it would be traumatic

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I saw that movie . What a POS !

4. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I would never watch any films like that, i've never seen the point for disturbing films, there is enough violence in this world without film companies glorifying it

5. netfreak

netfreak Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    BC, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul Lezica
    8mm for sure
    someone mentioned mulholland drive.. i'll add lynch's Lost Highway
    titicut follies (rare documentary)

i also recently saw a documentary on homeless kids which i believe was filmed in russia pre-1991.. i would not want to watch it again

6. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

It shows how spoiled are the gangs of the U.S.

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I was a kid back then and from 1,000s of horror movies I still think it was "The Gates of Hell" by Lucio Fulci.

"The Exorcist" for me was childplay, I actually prayed to God to turn me into the antichrist and to give me powers after I saw the movie.

8. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger

I didn't see The Pianist, but when I heard that Schindler's List was made (in essence) without a script (ET with Steven Speilberg), I could see it. Basically a bash Germany because of something that happened 60 years ago.

Imagine if someone made a movie about pre-State Israel and the terrorist tactics they used that included the murder of innocent civilians, they would be called racist. But it is still OK to bash Germany.

And while they say 'those that forget history are doomed to repeat it', I tell you that 'when they keep you fixated on one incident, you fail to see that it is still happening right now'. China, Cambodia, Sudan, and many many more.

EDIT:::: The problem with this topic is that when I see a film like these, I know they're fake. The real ones (Faces of Death, etc.) pale in comparison to the real thing.

9. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
  10. icantdrv55

icantdrv55 Karting

Aug 13, 2005
    Hartfordish, CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    "Schindler's List" has got to be up there, and how about "American Beauty?" The scene with the father and his daughter's friend oogs me out every time I see it.... So horribly wrong, yet you can't look away.

And "Gummo," that's just f-ed up.

11. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    people have probably emntioned these already: clockwork orange, hostel, and se7en

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Happiness, Very Bad Things, Reservoir Dogs, and Permanent Midnight all had scenes that were either too much to watch or just wrong. Interesting stories in all of them, anyway.
    BT

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Did I misread the guidelines? Aren't we looking for films that made you review your own beliefs?

Most of what I see here are films that show others that don't have the same beliefs. ("Gee, weren't Nazis bad?")

Silence of the Lambs might have been a "scary" film, but did it really make anyone review their decision not to eat people? (And I'm not talking about your girlfriend :: (you know who I'm talking to here :p)) (With or without avacado sauce.)

If we're looking for epiphanies, maybe we should open the scope to include books, too.
    (Many people accuse Heinlein of "preaching" in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but mostly it contains some durned interesting questions.)

14. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Changing tune a bit - anyone see "The Aristocrats"? Incest, Murder and all sorts of nasty **** rolled into one, truly tasteless joke. You'll either die laughing or turn it off in 5 minutes.

And..."Delicatessen".

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I would like to see that...

16. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yeah that does sound interesting.

Clockwork Orange?!?! That's one of my favorite movies, I wouldn't say it's disturbing.

Se7en wasn't bad, the first SAW had shock value, City of God was just a good movie, Hostel wasn't that bad.

I think after seeing one of those "Too Extreme For The US" videos at a friends while I was in high school, no movies really shock me any more.

You know the ones where they show real executions, suicides, killing of animals, riots, etc... After seeing a few real deaths, knowing something is fake during a movie takes the affect away.

The one thing I took from that video that I've never seen in a movie is when people are shot in the head, in real life the head seems to instantly collapse where impact was. I've never seen that in a movie.

BTW: That video really disturbed me :/

17. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Maria Full of Grace

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/m/maria_full.html

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No need to see it now that I know how it ends... :)

19. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Believe it or not, Running Scared with Paul Walker from the FF movies. It is a bit disturbing because of all the violence going on around a couple of 9-10 year old boys. It's especially distrubing if you have an adolescent son.

20. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    As a kid I remember seeing movies like Omega Man, Clockwork Orange and Soylent Green. Those flicks messed me up real good.

Duel (Spielberg's first film) was more unsettleing than disturbing, but it still rattled my cage.

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Same here, but after watching killings and seeing dead bodies dropped in the street in real life, still video is a little shocking.

22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Damn, didn't realize this thread was still alive and kicking.
    How about the original Dutch version of the 'Vanishing' movie?

23. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Funny Games - German subtitled - extremely disturbing - weekend vacation home is taken over by a couple of pyscho guys that torment a family into tortuous acts and then ...well I better not say...the wife has several opportunities to escape and...well I better not say. Not what I expected, not a lot of dialogue so "titles" are not a big issue. What I will say is the movie uses very little music to dramatize an event, it allows the acts and sounds to horrify the reality of the situation. If you want disturbing - this is it. The only movie I've ever watched and had to turn off momentarily to contain my rage and disgust in what I was seeing portrayed.
    Too often music is over-played as a medium to add effect. All one has to do is follow the lack thereof in the first "Alien" movie and see how it was gradually added in w/ the evolving change in directors in the following sequels. Which was the best, Ridley Scott's (director) version, Alien. Had to walk out of that, albiet I was 10 years old in 1977. My older brother who took me loved the scare it put into me.

Faces of Death - watched in highschool w/ a bunch of friends- don't know if there even obtainable anymore, they were XXX - a serious of movies that depicted real life scenes of death, carnage and morbid attrocities - now that is distrubing.

24. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    On a postive "thought provoking" front, it is hard to beat, Pay it Forward.

25. SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    It is a poor movie, but the Hitcher really messed me up when I was a teen. Another that got me at a younger age was Sybil.

Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart both kept me awake for a few days, could not sleep at all...just stayed awake with my mind going in many directions...and both had me crying my eyes out.

Elephant completely shocked the heck out of me...bizarro movie.

A goofy one that got me out was Creepshow, with the old guy always spraying the roaches, and at the end they all poured out of his mouth...I kept scratching my arms and legs all darn night!! :)