DIY 360 clutch replacement | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DIY 360 clutch replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by billwann, Dec 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    This is the company that did the work , Very nice to deal with . Total cost for relining disk with Kevlar , rebuilding pressure plate and machining flywheel came out to 550 dollars .http://www.hrclutch.com/

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats cheap. :):)

3. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    My post has been graced by the man himself , Iam honored .
    It sure beats what a factory one would cost and should last a hell of a lot longer , shame i just put a factory one in my 355 last year .

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I know EXACTLY what you mean mate! :):)

I needed a new clutch for my 348 back in December 05. Genuine Ferrari twin plate clutch kit was AU$4625. :eek::eek:

I had one made, bulletproof and similar to yours, for a cost of AU$2200. :):)

The clutch has been great so far and I am sure it will near on last the life of the car. :):)

5. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Good find there; I'm tempted to have them reline my clutch disk with Kevlar and just replace it while I have the engine out. I just did the clutch with the OEM replacement disk / pressure plate 3k miles ago, but if the Kevlar is that much better might as well do it now.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bill, when you have time, please post a few pictures of the work they did, that is an terrific price for the work involved.

7. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    #57 billwann, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some pictures of the clutch and such . the last two pictures are of a metal matrix catilitic converter that iam playing with.
    You can get the cores , the part in teh picture real cheap . Iam going to section my test pipes and weld these in .
    Should be just like the expensive ones for a 10th of the price .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have heard that kevlar lined clutches needs to be beded in properly with the flywheel or else you will have to take everything out again and get the flywheel resurfaced. Not sure the exact details with that, just heard this from someone.

9. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I notice you have typical Ferrari burn marks on your flywheel - You need to send out your clutch disk and have it surfaced in Kevlar. PM me if you have questions

10. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Those are the pictures after the disk was relined . It look like crap before .

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Looks good mate. :):)

12. trentw

trentw Karting

Jul 25, 2005
    Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
    Full Name:
    Warren Trent
    Where did you get the cat cores?

13. Drpalm

Drpalm Rookie

Feb 5, 2006
    San Clemente, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Slater
    Now that the kevlar clutch is in........how is it woking? Does it feel different? Do you think that it's going to hold up better than the stock one? This post is for Bill or anyone who has a kevlar replacement cluth in a 360.
    ~DrPalm

14. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Sorry for the long time with no updates , Ive been busy trying to finish my house . I had to take over as trim carpenter because the trim guys could not seem to line up a miter right . I got the rest of teh parts from Daniel and put everything back together . I must say that it went together very nicely , Must easer than taking it apart . I was able to reinstall the gearbox by myself with the help of a floor jack . Took about two hours form mounting the clutch to getting it to the point in the pictures . I had to make a tool to get to the pins that hold the throwout bearing on . I was able to cut them off and use a 12mm socket to remove them but I need the tool to put them back in . I copied a picture that rifledriver sent me and it worked like a charm . I also seconded my test pipes and welding the cats . That was pretty easy , This is another reason everyone should learn how to tig weld . My tubi had alot of stress cracks from someone not mounting it right so i welded it back together . I must say they the use the cheapest stainless ive ever welded . If anyone needs a better picture of the clutch tool or want me to trace it let me know .

15. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Cool thread!
    Great to see these technical threads with all the pictures!

16. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Bill, You are a true automotive craftsman and an inspiration to us all! Thanks for sharing.

17. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #68 mrpcar, Mar 5, 2008

Bill,

Would have to 100% agree with the TIG welding. I have been TIG welding for about ten years, and LOVE it!!!! It is certainly cheaper than what my shrink charges, it is great meditation for me. I spend at least 1 hour a week on TIG welder doing mostly stainless steel. I still haven't perfected my aluminum welds yet, but still trying. Another tool I really enjoy is the plasma cutter, which cuts metal sheets like a laser, precise and clean.

Mostly for fun I build custom Porsche 911 mufflers in my free time, Jerry Siefeld have 3 sets of them.

Great work on the clutch job. I just did a 13 hour clutch job on a 911 this weekend, worn me out! I swear I don't want to wrench on another car for another month!

18. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    #69 billwann, Mar 6, 2008
    I been welding my whole life , My grandfather was a navy underwater welder . I started welding when I around 7 , just gas .
    Got my first arc welder for Christmas when i was 12 . I welding in high school for money . I like to weld stainless , mainly process piping . Love welding aluminum nd Titanium for my heat exchanger foe my fish tank . Nice setup you have there . I have a Miller myself , Its ok but I would like to get an esab next .

19. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Good to hear that I'm not alone.
    Bill those welds are perfect.

20. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Bill,

Those looks just like the pipes that I weld up at work! Mainly all piping for pharmaceutical usage, I have to back purge them when I weld them. Awesome welds, question: Do you bevel the pipe ends to create a "V" before the weld? Do you tac it at 4 points and then just continue welding the complete circle, or you weld a quarter at a time and do the oppsite side? Do you spray any water to cool them off during the weld or just air cool them, or you don't stop? Sorry, questions from one welder to another.

I manage a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, so welding is usually not something I would do. But since I am the only TIG welder in the whole company I became the "official" company TIG welder. Funny thing is that I don't know how to use a MIG welder. LOL!

21. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    Yep , thats what those are , sanitary pipes . I was using them for my boilers . The company i won does alot of work for the drug companies . I do back gas purge them . I dont have to bevel them because they are thin wall . I tack in four places then weld all the way around non stop if i can . I have a cool tool for aligning the pipes for tacking , ill post a picture . I have never needed to use any water to cool them off . I just keep my heat low , right where it needs to be . Mig is easy , point and click pretty much . You can make mig weld look real nice if you know how .

22. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great welding on that pipe Bill. I'm a bit of a welder/fabricator myself so I love seeing pictures of that stuff. How many amps were you using and how thick is the pipe? Here is a link to my latest project. It's an LS1 intake for my 71 Corvette.

http://i26.tinypic.com/xeorac.jpgi

How does doing your own clutch or other maintenance affect the resale value? I can't afford a Ferrari at this point, but at some point I'll probably get one. I could do all the work myself, but I've wondered how much you save in shop bills versus what you lose on resale.

23. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    I might be off-base with this, but perhaps its not the amount you would have to lower your price, but maybe it's that you would have a hard time finding a buyer? Not sure though and I hope not since I tend to DIY also.

Just my thoughts.

24. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Bill, can you elaborate? I'm fixing to start my Tubi install here in the next week or two.... what should I try to avoid? What's "not mounting it right" mean?