DIY: Back up camera | FerrariChat

DIY: Back up camera

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Aug 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #1 whatheheck, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go for sharing in case anyone here is interested in doing this project.

Some disclaimers first:
    Do this at your own risk. I will not be responsible for your own actions.

Im also posting for sharing. I am not here to argue or debate with anyone. If this helps you a simple thanks goes a long way.

Kindly keep criticisms to yourself. Sorry, I don’t do perfect work.

So as not to risk getting in trouble with the moderators for favoring a specific equipment or supplier – I will no longer provide direct link or info on where I got my equipment from. Sorry….

Situation:
    Difficult to see when backing up. I cannot live without a back up camera system. Always worried about backing into something, not only damaging my bumper but also hitting people, animals, light posts, bicycle, kids, pets, other cars, etc, so this upgrade is on top of my priority list. Finally done.

Difficulty level: 5 out of 10.
    Total hours it took me is 16 hours. Yours should be a lot shorter since all the info you need is already provided here.

Items needed:
    Back up camera, LCD monitor or your own double din head unit with back up camera input, extra wires, tie straps, drill, 3M double back tape, patience, good beer.

Important: Always turn battery master power switch off anytime you are working on electrical systems.

Note: I decided to use a dedicated monitor & not use a double din head unit with video input as I don’t what the flip up screen to block A/C vents.

Complete DIY instructions with lots of photos on a pdf file attached.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jamie traina likes this.
  2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Note: I had to compress the DIY pdf file as it exceeds the limit of 2.6mb. If you want the high resolution version just eMail me and I will eMail you a copy.

Dan

3. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Thanks Dan for your contribution to the community again! Very useful addition.

XLNLIFE and whatheheck like this.
  4. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    That is a very cool mod!

whatheheck likes this.
  5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Looks like you do pretty good work to me,,Nice job

whatheheck likes this.
  6. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    Nice job and thanks for sharing

whatheheck likes this.
  7. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Sweet DYI Mod..thanks, Dan.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Thanks for the info. Definitely will be doing this. PO installed a camera in the back and the wires are already run to the cabin. I was told it was for a GoPro. Should be a lot easier than your installation.

Much appreciated

whatheheck likes this.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks everyone for the appreciation. Sincerely appreciated.

I received a couple of PM's with very good questions so I thought I'd post it here for sharing.

Q: Why not go wireless?

Great question! Yes, I looked into wireless back up camera but I decided to go hardwire for solid connection. Just like cellphone signals and wireless security cameras, nothing more frustrating to me than signal drop outs so I decided to go hardwire connection.

I also searched and searched and was not able to find a very well made & reliable 12V video transceiver. If some of you come across one kindly share info with us.

I also learned that Garmin makes a good wireless back up camera system. However, I already have 3 dedicated GPS and none of them are compatible with their wireless back up camera system and I really dont want to buy another GPS. Plus, I want a 7" LCD bigger screen.

Thanks!

Dan

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi, great info.

Kindly share what you learn about the GoPro back up camera system so that we can help others here too that are considering doing this mod.

Thanks.

Dan

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    By the way, the monitor that I purchased has two video inputs.

My next mod is Front View Camera so that I wont have to worry about scraping my front bumper when parking.

Will share that DIY here soon / once Im done.

If some of you want to know the parts I chose just PM me and I will share that info with you.

Dan

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Luckily my car already had this with the Clarion that was installed, it sealed my decision not to rip it out along with the rest of the ghetto fabulous sound system. Great job on the install, now you can concentrate on getting some color on those smooth whities you call legs!

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    LOL! Thanks Matt!

Yes, we dont get that much sunshine here in Seattle area.
    I will work on tanning my legs ASAP :)

I better get back to work.

You all have a fun day!

Dan

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    A couple of more info for sharing that was asked:

1) No need to drill holes to mount the camera. Use 3M double back tape. Super strong.

2) No need to drill holes too to mount the LCD monitor. The monitor kit comes with double back tape for the monitor bracket, most likely made by 3M too that is super strong and holds the monitor down firmly to the center console.

I hate drilling holes. Its always a last resort.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I like to see what people are using for a looping data/video event recorder. People always blame the ferrari driver yet I'm seeing boneheads do dumb things near me everytime I drive. Any ferrari accident and people instantly assume the ferrari going too fast.

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great question.

I recently installed a dashcam and will be sharing that DIY here soon.
    I have mine hardwired so there is no wire dangling from center console cigarette lighter connection.

And yes, I highly recommend a dashcam as people out there will always try and blame someone else for something that is their own doing. Videos speaks for themselves.

Will share soon.

Dan

17. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I installed wireless rear view using my phone as the display when I need it. Cheap from amazon. There is a noticeable delay, though. So you have to be careful and anticipate or move really slow. If I have to do it over again, I'd probably do hard wired. The convenience of wireless is awesome. I also never had any problem with connectivity.

I also have a dash cam. I'll take pictures when I get home today.

18. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Dan....nice job and thank you for the very detailed install description. I've wanted to do this to my car since I bought it. This may have sealed the deal. I'm curious if there is someone making double din 1:1 carbon weave insert so that one could replace the stock radio with one of the monitor radios.

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing info Andrie.

Dan

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Kevin.

The problem I have with double din Head Units are = the head unit itself has to stick out about an inch from the dashboard in order to clear the center A/C vents. (I know this as I installed double din HU on my 360 Spider.) And when the display is extended out it blocks more than 50% of the A/C vents.....

But to each his own so as long as it doesnt bother you - then its all good.
    In life - always do whatever makes you happy.

Dan

21. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    #21 klointheridge, Aug 24, 2017
    I was referring to something like this (although in this install, the weave doesn't match up):

PKIM likes this.
  22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I did the same on my 360 Spider. I can post some pictures if there's enough interest.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Picture's worth a thousand words.

That is certainly a great option for a double din HU installation.

If its the carbon fiber weave that is an issue to you Im certain you can find a matching carbon fiber overlay in Fleabay.

Would you happen to have a source for that custom made center console double din faceplate?

Dan

24. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #24 Corsair66, Aug 25, 2017
    I've been thinking of having a custom double-DIN enclosure made - probably something like this (see attached photo).

I do like the custom faceplate shown above, though. Is there a ready source for that CF component?

25. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes, please. I'm interested.