DIY: Best and easiest way to clean your engine | Page 6 | FerrariChat

DIY: Best and easiest way to clean your engine

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Apr 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Looks super clean!

Thanks for sharing Kaspar.

Note to others. 2 weeks after I cleaned my engine I got the check engine light and my oil pressure indication needle started hunting.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but please play it safe. If you plan to clean your engine with scrubbing bubbles I highly recommend you cover your variator solenoid control valves (2 per side) and also cover the oil pressure sensor.

Cover both the units and their connectors.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Love how awesome all of these engine bays look!

Whether using Scrubbing Bubbles, Griots, or anything else, does someone have pics of what to cover (on a 360 spider) in the engine bay?

Asking for a newb. :D

TIA!

obertRo likes this.
  3. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    It would be more helpful to know which parts must be covered to avoid water contact. As far as cleaning soap, I'm sure there are plenty to choose from.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don’t cover anything, just used low pressure water to rinse, open end of hose.

Griots dressing did a great job, but I suspect the same result could be had with the miracle elixir, wd40.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

firewire likes this.
  5. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I did not cover anything however I was very careful and sensitive to how I sprayed the water ( mist setting) and then used shop air to immediately dry off all standing water...

firewire likes this.
  6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    whatheheck and kes7u like this.
  7. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    EXCELLENT work! Can I ask what you used to clean? Did you simply rinse at the end with a SLOW stream of water? Did you cover any parts before doing so?

Thank you for sharing!!
    Kevin

8. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Good old scrubbing bubbles, makes it easy. I couldn't believe it at first when people were saying to try it a few years back, needless to say I have a bunch of the stuff around here. I had something like 30 years of gunk on a car I had bought... melted that stuff off like butter.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Kevin,

I just sprayed it with scrubbing bubbles let it sit for 8 minutes. After that I sprayed it with low pressure water from a handheld pump sprayer. After that I just patted it dry with some shop towels. I also didn’t cover anything prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kes7u likes this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    That looks super clean to me!

Thanks for posting updates and making the time to show appreciation. Sincerely appreciated.
    Glad I was able to help.

Dan

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm going to use the Scrubbing Bubbles to clean all the salt and gunk from my daily driver's suspension and undercarriage when the spring breaks.

Matt

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Update on this:

Its time for me to clean the engine again on my F430. This time I decided to just spray the entire engine bay including the area behind the side panels.
    I removed the side panels and sprayed scrubbing bubbles on the panels too. I wanted my entire engine bay super clean.

I didnt wrap any connectors or avoided any area. Just the usual spray scrubbing bubbles all over, let it sit and let it do its job for about 8 - 10 minutes, then using low water pressure on garden hose - rinse the entire engine bay down.

Then I wiped down the entire engine bay to avoid water spots.

I started the engine and the engine ran rough. Obviously something not close friends with water got wet and didnt like the liquid.
    I let the engine run for about 15 minutes, then the idle started running smoothly (water is evaporating and drying.).

I then shut the engine down and let the car sit for an hour to let the engine bay heat fully dry the engine compartment.

After an hour I started the engine, idle is almost smooth, I let the engine warm up for about 10 minutes then I went for a drive.
    Drove and pushed the car hard and it performed flawlessly. Idle is back to normal.

As I expected, CEL came on (due to rough idling I had).
    Drove home, cleared the CEL, started the engine and everything is back to normal.

Love my engine bay so clean. Everyone compliments it.
    And I dont know of any mechanic that would not love working on a clean engine, especially a Ferrari engine.

Just thought i'd share.

Dan

obertRo and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Note again that just like anything in life - do this at your own risk.

Dan

14. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Dan, when you first started your engine after spraying and rinsing, was that a cold start? I ask because my engine on cold start idles rough about 1/4 the time. I don't think it ran rough due to the cleaning. No CEL for this rough idling.

I changed the original method of rinsing to using a spray bottle with DI water and spot drying with towel before firing up.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes, when I started the engine after cleaning the engine it was dead cold. Never clean a hot engine.

If your car runs a little rough during initial start my experience tells me it could be the MAF's either dirty or they are going bad.

I say check your MAF's. Let me know if you need help or more info.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sakodik likes this.
  16. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    OK guys. I cleaned the engine of my 360 using Dan's method. I'm impressed!!! Some things to mention:
    1. I wrapped a few things that were 'electrical connections' with cellophane
    2. I think the sun may have dried the Scrubbing Bubbles, so better to do this in the shade.
    3. I was tentative with the water, so a few areas of residue were left. Use copious water to rinse.
    4. The car started without any problem.
    5. I used an Auto Air Dryer to blow a lot of water away from the engine bay (while car was running)
    6. I used Finish First on the air box covers as I did not have Griot's Engine Bay Dressing (but I will definitely get some)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    That looks super clean!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

18. DaveCos

DaveCos Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Dave C
    Great tip, looks awesome! Where do you spray the dressing, all over? Thanks...

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You can spray it anywhere you want.

If you want satin finish - after spraying immediately wipe it down with microfiber towel.

If you want a little shine just spray the engine bay dressing and then leave it alone.

20. JonM

JonM Karting

Oct 31, 2017
    South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jon Maratos
    If only Scrubbing Bubbles was available down under :(

21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    They are available at Amazon.

If not, I can mail you some. I have 2 more cans in my garage. Just pay for shipping.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

f355spider and kes7u like this.
  22. DaveCos

DaveCos Rookie

Apr 6, 2013
    Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Dave C
  23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Thanks again to Dan, this has been a wonderful tip, and I now use Scrubbing Bubbles in place of regular engine cleaner and degreaser. It actually works better in two ways; one (as Dan mentioned before) it leaves a pleasant scent, rather than the smell of petroleum products. Second, it doesn't leave any residue...I used to often find a light residue using regular or foaming engine cleaner/degreasers. SB seems to rinse off much better without any oily residue.

I found it works excellently for cleaning the grids on my electrostatic air cleaner in my Carrier HVAC system. Two successive cleanings does a great job.

whatheheck likes this.
  24. JonM

JonM Karting

Oct 31, 2017
    South Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jon Maratos
    I have a real problem with paying $100 for a can of spray to clean the engine, especially when you can buy 6 cans for $30 in the U.S.

Thanks for the offer to ship some to me Dan, but I'll be coming over there in August, so might stuff the suitcase with a few cans on the way back.

Jon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Holy crap, its like 3 bucks average per can. $100!??

JonM and whatheheck like this.