DIY Cabin Filter / Pollen Filter replacement | FerrariChat

DIY Cabin Filter / Pollen Filter replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Mar 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #1 whatheheck, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did a search and there are multiple threads on this so I thought I'd summarize it and make it easier for the next guy since its time for me to replace mine.

Part number: 65384300
    Same filter for 360, F430 and Enzo
    Ferrari dealership charges ~$100.00
    You can find them in eBay and various on line sellers from $60.00 - $160.00

Best deal is from Ricambi at $60.00 plus they give us FChat members 10% discount.
    During check out, just add note: "Kindly provide FChat discount".

Ferrari Parts : 65384300 Pollen Filter : Ricambi America

Ricambi is a great sponsor here so I order from them.

Very simple to replace. Takes less than 3 minutes.

Photos below.

Hope that helps some of you.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  2. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Great info! Thx

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Surprised Ferrari did not spec a filter with activate charcoal in it, to reduce odors. Very common amongst most other car manufacturers.

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome!

Dan

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You can find them in eBay for a great price.

To me it doesnt matter as I have a Spider and I drive my car with the top down 95% of the time.

Here you go:

Ferrari Enzo 360 Spider F131 Corteco Activated Carbon Cabin Pollen Filter | eBay

Dan

neil e dale likes this.
  6. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do what I did....don't buy new. Just rinse them out with your garden hose. My came completely clean and did not lose any shape! Worked like a dream!!!!

whatheheck likes this.
  7. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Just a couple of things to add. Firstly, note the direction arrow of the filter when fitting.

Also, over here (UK) we can buy aftermarket filters for £17 from eurocarparts. They are made by Corteco. Part numbers are:

507580410 (standard)

507580420 (activated carbon)

EDIT: I have now read the entire thread. Sorry for the duplication.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I buy these on ebay from Italy, EUR 14.50 + shipping. The seller is called mondoautoricambi

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info.

Dan

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome Hugh.

Dan

12. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    Thanks for the post and DIY instructions, Dan. I was wondering how to remove the pollen filter. Placed my order through Ricambi, pollen and also intake filters. Will be performing this work over the weekend. Thanks again!

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are most welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to post and share your appreciaton.

Dan

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What the advantage of carbon activated ?

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Carbon activated filter provides better filtering of airborne contaminants

neil e dale likes this.
  16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Activated charcoal will absorb odors in the air, although not totally/completely. Most cars like BMW an Mercedes use them. For the small additional cost, I believe they are worth having when available.

neil e dale likes this.
  17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I would like to put my thoughts on cabin air filters ....

Now, first, let me say that I have driven cars for nearly a half century. During this period I have managed to drive cars with and without A/C. Only in the last few years have any of the cars I have driven were equipped with cabin filters ... some with activated charcoal, some without. My thoughts on this:

Activated charcoal is overkill. Don't pay more for it as the filtering quality is not any better.

About 85% of my driving in the 360 is with the windows down. I run the heater or A/C ... even with windows down ... for comfort purposes. The cabin filter is useless when the windows are open.

Certainly, if the filter becomes too dirty, it will impede air flow to the A/C blower and reduce its efficiency. So it should be cleaned or replaced if it becomes dirty.

How many miles do you put on your car every year. Most cars recommend annual cabin filter change, but your filter should last at least 15,000 miles or so. This will depend on where you are.

What are the possible detriments to merely removing the cabin filter. IMO, only that dust may accumulate on the blower motor fan ... not really a big deal. If you drive 100% of the time with the windows up, then the cabin filter will reduce the amount of dust accumulating on the interior. Any other factors are inconsequential. I don't buy into the argument about filtering air before you breathe. If the environment is that bad, you should be wearing a respirator all the time.

So, in summary, I have decided I do not need a cabin filter on the 360. But, on my Acura MDX, I drive almost 100% of the time with windows closed so I think it is a good idea to keep the interior a bit cleaner. But, on the 360, if only a few dollars, then no biggie. If it is $100 or so, then to hell with it.

Regards,

Steve

Mimmo Blue and whatheheck like this.
  18. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the great practical post. Have been meaning to replace mine!

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #19 f355spider, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    To each their own Steve....but with all the crap I see in the filter, it is obviously doing it's job on my Scud (bugs, a few pine needles and a lot of dust and dirt). Activated charcoal indeed works. I work for a medical device company, and our machines are used for cleaning and disinfecting medical devices. We have the supporting studies to show the effectiveness of activated charcoal filters used in our machines to filter out harmful vapors from the disinfectants.

Agreed, they do NOT need to be changed often. Since we now know that the oem or aftermarket activated charcoal filters can be obtained for around $65 delivered, and only need to be changed every two to three years, seems totally fine by me. But each can make their own decision. I would prefer not to have all that crap blowing into the HVAC system and into the car.

neil e dale likes this.
  20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    For me, it is that I rarely drive with the windows up ... so not a big factor in my book.

OTH ... in my MDX, I almost always drive with windows up. Dust filtration is nice, but just a not big deal in my book.

Steve

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Curious if anyone has bothered to measure the dimensions, and find an alternate that will fit? Might take some doing at the local autoparts shop opening boxes...but there has to be a close fit for $15, over the $65 to $100 alternative. :)

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Knock yourself out but that is a lot of work for something that last so long and costs so little.

23. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Well, you can take the Saturn VUE off the list. It is about 2" longer and about an inch wider, but of the correct thickness, than the 430 filter. It is $12.60 for NAPA's cheapy and $17.55 for their best grade of pollen filter for the VUE.

Something could be said for cutting the VUE pollen filter down to fit the 430. That would be a savings of about $80.

Tom
    07 F430 Coupe

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is only work the first time. Once it I figured out, the savings can be shared amongst all 360 an 430 owners forever. /

25. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    #25 treue, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dan and Others,

Per my suggestion, above, I bought a NAPA 4872, cut it down, glued it back together and came up with a spare cabin air filter for a 430.

The NAPA 4872 normally fits a Saturn VUE. Lucky me, we happen to have just such a vehicle right next to the F430. The VUE filter is roughly 1” wider, 2” longer, but, most importantly, precisely the same thickness.

Using the OEM filter as a template, I marked the VUE filter where to cut, taking into account the thickness of the end and side pieces. I took care to mark accurately since the filter needs to fit in the filter mount with little or no gap on all sides. I made the long cut with a band saw so the cut edge would be perpendicular to the inlet and outlet sides of the filter. Other cuts were made with scissors or tin snips. The 1” of accordion-fold filter material just pulls off the side piece. I glued the modified pieces back together with the long side piece turned inside out since the formerly “in” side had a bumpy texture after the accordion-fold filter material was pulled free. I used Loctite Plastic Bonder 20-minute epoxy.

The cost of the NAPA 4872 (better quality Enviroshield) filter was $21.24 to me and I used about $2.00-worth of epoxy. I probably spent 2 hours making the new filter. I did it mainly for the challenge. It might be more efficient if I made six or eight at one sitting. The new filter has a little tab (black) that makes it easier to pull out of the mount.

Tom
    2007 F430 Coupé

Mimmo Blue and neil e dale like this.