DIY: California T Parking Camera mod | FerrariChat

DIY: California T Parking Camera mod

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, Jun 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go for sharing.
    My usual disclaimer:

I’m posting for sharing. In case anyone wants to do this modification / upgrade here are the step by step procedures to make life easier for you.

Note that I’m not here to argue or debate with anyone as I have better things to do. Im not seeking your approval or asking whether you like this or not.

If you don’t like what I do or you disagree with my approach or choice of parts – it’s OK, it’s my car. You too can do whatever you want to your own car.

Always remember too, to each his own. Your life, your car do whatever makes you happy.

And just like anything in life, individual results may vary and you do this at your own risk; your experience may be different than mine so take this info for whatever value it provides to you.

If this info helps you a simple thanks goes a long way.

Now that we got that out of the way………………. (sorry for the above, all based on lessons learned.)

==============================================================================

My 2016 Cali T had all the factory options I want except parking cameras. So time to look into installing them. I installed parking cameras on my 360 and F430.

Hardwired parking cameras and integrated to the factory stereo is the best way, but its very expensive and very intrusive, too much work..........

Why the need for parking cameras? Difficult to see while backing up. Last thing I want is to damage the rear of my car or worse yet God forbid injure someone like a little child as I didn’t see him behind me while I’m backing up.

Reason 2: I scraped my front bumper already (ugh) on those darn parking cement stops, so it’s time to install also a front view camera.

The usual for most of us, we want the easiest to install, cost effective, very good quality, reliable, we don’t want to tear the car apart, do it ourselves as no one can be more careful and do a better job than us owners.

I have now tried several and I thought I’d share my findings. Note that I have no business affiliation to any of them.

1) Garmin:
    BC40 camera, ($140), Garmin Drivesmart 55 or 65 ($150) for dedicated monitor & GPS.
    So for $300 you can have back up camera completely stand alone & plug and play. Probably take an hour to install.

Very good video quality. Cons is you will have to change camera battery every 3 months or so.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591686

2) Pearl:
    Same as above, completely plug and play and stand alone. You use your own cell phone as monitor. I use my old Samsung S7 as dedicated monitor I placed in center console.

I have the Pearl camera on my wife’s BMW that I purchased 3 years ago for her and it still works great so I just moved it to my Cali T as my wife never uses it. Works great, excellent picture quality. Very customizable options.

Note: Pearl went out of business >2 year ago as their payroll I heard was too large. Hence, no warranty nor customer support. However, they still make their back up cameras and its much cheaper now. $299.00. I paid $400 for mine 3 years ago from Crutchfield:

Photos attached on my Cali T:

https://pearlauto.com/

Those are the only 2 rear parking cameras I can currently recommend. I’m sure there will be new ones coming in the market soon. Qustions is how long can you wait in the name of safety and vehicle damage.

Front parking camera:
    Im now testing and trying different front parking cameras and will provide updates as things develops. The front will be different as it has to be non license plate mounted small camera as most of us have no front plate.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    What about delay? I read in other threads the garmin BC40 takes 3-4 seconds to activate?

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    All wireless cameras will have lag. Yes, 2 -3 seconds.

If that is too long for you then hardwire is the way to go.

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    For those willing to go hardwire route I heard NAVIKS for California T.

I did not try it as even though they say Plug & Play it will still require removal of dashboard and other panels to gain access to head unit, front camera and rear camera connections:

If anyone has tried it kindly share your experience.

Beach Boy likes this.
  5. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Wow Dan, you are making your T complete in every way! Ha! I admire your tenacity ! James

whatheheck likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks James!

Have a fun Friday.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    Hi Dan, great job! I am interested in the front camera option. I do have a license plate attached to the tow hook as its' required in Massachusetts. I am not brave enough to drive without it just yet as I don't know how the state troopers will react when they have a slow day and see me coming along without a front plate...

whatheheck likes this.
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Mohamed,

If you have a front plate then I think the easiest to install is the Garmin Parking Cameras as there no power wires required for the cameras. Complete plug and play.
    Just need to change camera batteries every 3 months or so. Not bad.
    Use Lithium Battery they recommend.

Also ensure you use the 55 or 65 series GPS Monitor they recommend using as those are capable of producing HD video signals.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Mohamed Haider likes this.
  9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I've been running around Mass and RI for years without a front plate in various F cars -- Cali 30, F430, Cali T -- and never been stopped. I bought the Carbonio bracket and keep the plate in the trunk just in case.

Mohamed Haider and whatheheck like this.
  10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Back camera looks great, Dan!

whatheheck likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Vic!

I also want to share something:

I had a few BMW M Cars (M5, M6 Coupe, M6 Cabrio, M4) before I purchased my 1st Ferrari.
    All my BMW's had no front plate and I was pulled over twice for no front plate. Never got a ticket though.

Why no ticket? Very simple. I remained very respectful, compliant and friendly to the LEO.
    I apologized for not having a front plate and I told the LEO I will order the front plate bracket and will install the plate once the bracket arrives.
    They issued me just warnings with no fines nor ticket.

My point to the above is simple. If you get pulled over by LEO, do what I do above.
    Remain respectful, friendly and compliant and chances are you too will only get a warning. They are human beings like us, everyone wants to be treated with respect.

My basic rule in life - treat others how you want to be treated yourself and life will be very good to you. It has always worked for me.

With Ferrari's, my Cali T is my 3rd Ferrari. All no front plate. No tickets no warnings, nothing.
    I think the LEO's respect the car and admire the car so much they either dont notice the no front plate or they just let it go.
    All I get from LEO's here in Washington State when I drive by them are thumbs up and waves.

I wave back big time and smile and say Thank you Sir!

Dan

12. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    hello, I’m in the boston area too. I have a CaliT coming. As it related to plates, I never drilled holes for my Porsche turbo. 2 years of driving. No one mentioned. If they did - I had the plate in the front boot on a tow mount. I’d just play dumb... worse case a small ticket or warning.

Initially the issue was inspection where the process requires a pic of the front plate. We used double stick tape for that.

Not sure if the new car has a plate mount on the front. It’s from the west coast. Won’t drill it if not there already...

13. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Just ordered pearl. Very smart implementation. Looks like they sold the co. No clue support but very clever implementation. Tech here is moving incredibly fast but the best solution I’ve seen if you don’t want to spend days...- thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Simply can’t wait! Ready for shipping. Had wheels darkened. First order of biz is to get the pearl back up camera installed...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dan Millman and whatheheck like this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Beautiful car! Congrats!

I cant recommend the Pearl Back Up Camera as wireless connection is inconsistent.
    Frustrating when you're trying to back up and the camera often times wont connect.

I removed my Pearl Back Up camera and will be selling it soon in eBay.

16. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Humm. Too good to be true.. we’ll see.. thx

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  18. Dan Millman

Dan Millman Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2020
    Saint Louis
    Dan - thank you for posting all of the information on this topic, very helpful. Any ideas why it worked in your wife's BMW but not the Cali T?

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dan,

I can only assume the Pearl wireless connection is having a difficult time connecting at times due to all the Ferrari electronic modules.

Dan

Dan Millman likes this.
  20. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    #20 Joshman0531, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Love this idea. I want this for my 355. Is this device required or just in the event you don't have a PDA device to use? - Garmin Drivesmart 55 or 65 ($150) for dedicated monitor & GPS

21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The Garmin back up camera system only works with its own Navigation Monitors. And not all their Navigation Monitors works with their back up cameras so ensure you check their website before you buy.

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    If anyone wants to try the Pearl Back Up Camera on their car let me know.

I am selling mine for $80 shipped. I paid $300.00 for it.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Just want to provide an update that I installed this kit on my Cali T and it works great.

Dan

24. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Dan,

How difficult was the install? Was it well documented? Did you have to take the entire dash apart?

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Scott,

Complete installation took me 3 full days.
    One day (8 hours) to install the NAVIKS VIM / Video Interface Module.
    One day to install the rear parking camera.
    One day to install the front camera.

Scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being difficult - this mod is about a 7.
    The NAVIKS module provides complete instruction on how to remove the front dash and install the module.
    Please see attached document.
    The front and rear parking camera installation and routing the cables I had to figure it out myself.

For complete module, back up camera, front parking camera (tired of scraping my front bumper so I installed one) information -
    Please eMail me at [email protected] and I will share with you my complete DIY step by step procedures info and also lots of photos.

Files are too big to post here.

NAVIKS VIM install procedures attached.

Dan

Attached Files: