DIY Cam Cover and Intake Manifold Gasket Change and variable valve adjuster Solenoid 599 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DIY Cam Cover and Intake Manifold Gasket Change and variable valve adjuster Solenoid 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by JM280z, Mar 16, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTBV12

GTBV12 Rookie

Mar 28, 2024
    Palm Beach, Fl.
    Full Name:
    CQ
    After rebuilding my 07’ Mercedes AMG E63 NA I certainly have an advanced appreciation for engines that are well made. That said, even “well made” engines have their faulty or “weak” points! In the E63, one in particular is its Head-bolts Design whereby the Torx head was recessed into the bolt making it weak and therefore prone to breaking! In my case, from there it was matter of fixing one thing after the next, but in the end it has been every bit as rewarding as I imagine you are having. All I can say is CUDOS to you for taking this project on yourself as well as explaining it so well for those of us that have the ability to do such repair ourselves!

JM280z likes this.
  2. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    #52 JM280z, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Thanks! Ferraris don’t have to be “unaffordable.” My goal is just to share my experience doing it myself. It’s a great feeling driving a car after working on it.

The Allen heads on my intake plenum were well goobered/messed-up. I think someone forced the wrong screws into them at some point. I taped all threads and replaced the hardware with m6 fine thread (special order). We definitely need to be careful threading steel into aluminum.

Working with Chris from Scuderia Car Parts makes ordering parts affordable and easy. NOT a sales pitch, just the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

599_GTO likes this.
  3. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I wish an admin could change title to “DIY Cylinder Head & Valve Cover Gasket Change 599.” “Head gasket is incorrect of course.

4. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Just saw you comment; I apologize for the delayed answer. I believe that plastic hose from the back of each cover is oil/air Breather and attaches to the oil fill tunnel. There is a PCV valve or such under the heat blanket. I added the heat blanket to help prevent premature failure of those valves which is a fire hazard.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Might as well change it to DIY Cam Cover and Intake Manifold Gasket Change 599.

If you hit the little Report exclamation point symbol at the bottom left of your post, the mods can make a title change for you.

JM280z and 599_GTO like this.
  6. GTBV12

GTBV12 Rookie

Mar 28, 2024
    Palm Beach, Fl.
    Full Name:
    CQ
    On my 6.3L V8 E63, after having removed both Heads to have them rebuilt, I installed a Catch Can by running 1” Heater Hose attached to the OEM fitting on each side (ie-Crank Case-Intake Manifold) through a Catch Can to trap unwanted Oil from Vapor that would otherwise be deposited inside the Intake. My intake was quite wet with OIL before I had it rebuilt! I wonder if it would make any sense to fit one on the 599 unless, that is, there is already one essentially in place? I say that as my observation of the 599 Engine Diagrams (I’m still shopping for mine!) shows that Oil “Canister” Passenger Side from which several Oil related tubes run to? Is that Ferrari’s version of a Catch Can?

JM280z likes this.
  7. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Yes!! I’m adding an oil catch can. Absolutely. I’ll post a thread on it too.

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Incredible job Jake, congratulations!

JM280z likes this.