DIY Mondial Dash Removal | FerrariChat

DIY Mondial Dash Removal

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by gunn, Jul 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    I decided I needed to remove my dash to remove more of my 12V wiring for my EV conversion. This post from Lenvo65 was super helpful
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/140924983/

Steps
    • Remove the front wiper arms. I found the RH side one blocked one of the screws I needed to remove so I pulled them both. Flip up the black plastic housing, remove the nut, and then gently pry upwards on the arm to pop it up. In the unlikely event you break one, they are Bosch wiper arms so I'm sure you'll be able to find a replacement.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    • Remove the screws holding the cowling down. There are 5 on the bottom and 3 on the top. All phillips head
    • Gently remove the cowling and be aware that the wiper tubing will be attached to the nozzles on the cowling. My tubing was crunchy so I removed it all and will repair it later.
    • you might as well clean out this area as well; mine looks like it was NEVER cleaned so I'll scrub and repaint this area with POR15 before reassembly. I also removed the plastic cover to the intake of the HVAC/blower assembly but its not necessary
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    • You just need to gently lift the dash up and away from the car; there are 6 plugs that need to be disconnected from the driver's side and 1 on the passenger side. Removal could be done by one person but I had a friend over for dinner so I conscripted him to help me pull it off. Took 5 minutes. One person can easily hold the dash (even if off center -- its that light) and the other can reach behind and disconnect the connectors.
    Removal gives you easy access to the underdash wiring (my goal) and the HVAC/blower assembly (removed for now for my car).

This dash removal was a walk in the park compared to my 89-97 Tbird -- those are far heavier and much more involved.

2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for that!

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I reposted this in the DIY section, thanks for the write up, pics and tips!

4. tdskip

tdskip Karting

Aug 25, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for clarifying that it is light shining through those bolt holes, at first glance it looked like you cut the bolt heads off.

Thanks for the post and update.

5. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    I'm making a street car out of this mondial, not a race car. My track car has plenty of holes. There was one time during a rainstorm where the driver was complaining about a giant pool of water on the floorboard (because no windows).

A few holes solved that problem right up.... And made the car faster because of the weight reduction :)

In comparison, I found myself actually looking for grommets to plug up the various cabin holes I no longer need.