Do Bremont watches suck? | FerrariChat

Do Bremont watches suck?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Ak Jim, Nov 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Ok several years ago I saw an ad for a Bremont watch. It was a military tribute watch. It features the KC-135 which I flew for 20 years and I was pretty excited to get the watch. They were going to make only 135 watches and you had to prove you were an aircrew member that flew the KC-135. So I did all of the paper work and ordered and got the watch. I really like it. I think they did a great job with the design of the watch!

So I get the watch and I don’t wear it all of the time but do use it on a regular basis. Well after a year or so the watch starts running fast, like really fast, like gaining 3-5 seconds per minute. Well luckily the watch has a three year warranty. I send it back to England, and while the repair and return shipping is free the shipping over is on me.

After a bit I get the watch back and all is good. For a while, then it starts doing the gaining thing again. I send it back again and get it back and everything is fine for a while.

Then it starts doing the gaining thing again. Now the watch is out of warranty. I send it back and they do a service on the watch (USD $700). I get it back and it stops running once every 24 hours at the exact same time. I send it back as it now has a two year warranty after the service. They say that two of the hands are hitting each other.

I get the watch back and wear it probably less than two dozen times and it has started doing the gaining thing again.

At this point I just don’t know what to do. I feel like I threw a bunch of money away every time I look at it. So should I send it back once again. Obviously there is something wrong with the way the watch is designed/made.

So at this point what do I do? Sending it back to Bremont is a waste of time and money. Should I try a different watch repair place and if so who? And really I’d just like to replace the mechanical part of the watch with a quartz movement, is this possible?

Thanks for you help!

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I couldn't dig up too much information but it seems they use a Swiss movement that they modify a bit. This is pretty common for many brands, even the higher end ones. I'm guessing it's an ETA movement but I recommend asking them. Clearly whatever it is they haven't fixed and they honestly should be paying for the return shipping too after so many issues.

If you find out what base movement they use (ask them what brand and movement number), I can ask the watchmaker that I use for my business.

3. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    With those features it is likely a modified ETA 7754. I should think a competent watchmaker should be able to sort it out for you.

Have they ever told you why it runs fast?

The hands touching was probably a bang on your part - but the continual running fast is strange

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The hands touching I'm willing to bet is a watchmaker issue when they re-assembled it. Especially on a watch with so many extra hands. Bad watchmaking and bad quality control.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Jim, there could be something in your lifestyle or daily routine that is causing the watch to become magnetized. That is a common sign of running pretty fast. Are there any watchmakers in Fairbanks who can demagnetize it and put it on a timing machine?

Northward Clock & Watch Repair on Noble Street?

We have one in Anchorage who is really good, and a demagnetizing machine. Bring it with you next time you come south, and I will get it to him.

Bremont are good watches, and even an inexpensive watch should not have the same thing repeating multiple times. It is worth keeping, just need to figure out why the same thing keeps happening.

Enzo, Ak Jim and walnut like this.
  6. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I was about to say the same thing until I got to the end of the thread. I would certainly give that a check first before you do anything else.

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Running extremely fast is usually an issue with the hairspring. Most commonly coils get stuck together from contamination (usually oil)
    Sounds like they cleaned the hairspring but didn't fully remove what was causing the coils to stick.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thx for the replies. Yes they did mention something getting hung up, could be the hair spring. As far as magnetized goes I use to always take the watch on my airline trips so it would go thru the machine once a day but with the covid thing I flew very little from Feb to September and I’m actually fully retired now. It sounds like if I can find someone really good I can get this issue fixed for good. I have been looking for the paper work and will post what movement it has.

9. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    if it's the hairspring then it's just poor customer service on bremont's part, they overlooked it and they are just addressing the symptoms and not the problem. I understand this has been going on for years but I would try to make them get this right before taking it to a local watchmaker.
    As for Bremont's quality in general, up until this post I thought they were good, although arguably a bit too expensive. But I think that can be said of pretty much the whole industry hehe.

Ak Jim likes this.
  10. spepmiller

spepmiller Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Steven Pepmiller
    The strength of the Brand is their casework, dial, design and overall packaging. Full kits under $3K can be found and are a great deal at that price. They also make some very unique special order stuff but most of those are based around modified Valjoux movements (I think) which are robust chronographs, easy to service but not particularly interesting from a technical perspective. But the looks of most Bremonts on the wrist are stunning.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just a quick update. Sent the watch back for them to take a look at it. Waiting to hear back. In the meantime I'm sporting this fine piece! Image Unavailable, Please Login