Do not buy a Samsung refrigerator! | FerrariChat

Do not buy a Samsung refrigerator!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kizdan, Apr 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I bought a French door style fridge back in 2013, with the freezer on the bottom.

For the second time since I have owned it, noise starting emanating from it, and would stop as soon as you open the door. The temperature in the refrigerator started to slowly go down, and eventually stopped working. Ice was formed around the vents where the cold air flows into the fridge, so much now that the entire opening is covered in thick ice.

Doing some research online, it is a very common problem. It is caused by a design flaw. The part that would need to be replaced is the evaporator assembly cover, and has been modified from the originally installed part to correct the flaw. Did Samsung ever issue a recall for this? Of course not.

Repair guy came out, and said it will cost over $300 to repair. Absolutely livid, I called Samsung. I don't feel I should have to pay for a part that failed due to their design flaw, even if it is out of warranty. They said because I already made a half payment to the repair guy (who is an authorized Samsung repair facility), they will not reimburse me.

I have a Samsung phone, fridge, microwave, and stove. I think I may be having a Samsung clearance sale, because I find this to be unacceptable, and they have not handled themselves properly.

Anyone else experience this with Samsung?

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I have an LG and have had a few problems. Most recently I lost cooling in the refrigerator even though it seemed to be running. It turned out to be the freezer light switch (located above the drawer). It turns on the air circulating fan only when the light is "OFF". This isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual or troubleshooting instructions. If the light stays on when the drawer is closed, it will ice up the coils and the refrigerator will get warm. It's a super easy fix, pop the switch out and unplug the wires (do you really need a light?). If that fixes it, a new switch is under $10 online. If things are iced up you might need to let it defrost awhile first.

The other problem involved the refrigerator light staying on. It actually melted the light fixture. This turned out to be involved in a class-action settlement. Unlike the freezer light that was controlled by a simple switch, this thing gets it's commands directly from the main circuit board. Fortunately my unit was covered by the settlement and they sent out a guy to fix it free. The parts would have been a couple hundred $ otherwise.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The wife and I bought cheap Kenmore appliances at Sears when we first got hitched. More high end stuff after we did our recent renovation. We got almost 15 years of use out of our Kenmore appliances.

It'll be interesting to see how the fancy stuff lasts compared to Kenmore.

We've had one warranty claim with our GE Profile oven, which they fixed fast & free.

LG dryer. hus far, no issues.

T

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I feel your pain!

The Kelvinator fridge/freezer in my family's summer cabin died last year. Damn thing only ran for 60 years. :(

Even worse? We had to remove the doors before they'd cart it away, because they lock & kids can get trapped in there.

But, even though the above IS true - had similar problems with a GE fridge with their "adaptive defrost," which is known to cause problems in fairly short order. Wish *I* had known of those problems before we'd purchased it! Much like you - died just after warranty.

p.s.? Kelvinator mentioned at the top never once needed service in all that time. Had BARELY more energy draw than today's "high efficiency" models because it was so well insulated & had such a high thermal mass load inside when stocked up. Kept a LOT of fish in the freezer section!

6. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm not buying another Samsung device... period.

Our Samsung Fridge was a french door, with two ice makers, purchased around the same time as yours.

Our "in fridge" ice maker (which provides ice through a dispenser), very recently had the same issue.

Thank god we'd purchased the extended warranty from Lowes. Fixed to us at no-charge. came out way ahead.

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I ended up getting a call from the assistant to the vice president of some department at Samsung. They ended up paying the diagnostic fee, so at the end of the day, I ended up paying $200 total to have it repaired. I guess partial satisfaction is better than no satisfaction.

8. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    That's funny. Our Samsung refrigerator, purchased in 2011, has been making a funny noise. I'll have to investigate.

Oh, and the freezer door needs to be lifted up before it will close. I think that's just an adjustment, although I also blame my kids for holding the door open and swinging around on it. :(