Do people really think M. Schumaher hit J Vill in 97? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do people really think M. Schumaher hit J Vill in 97?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 62 250 GTO, Feb 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    the 97 points are not included.

2. dinodude

dinodude Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Glenn Stephens
    It is ridiculous to think that MS did not know the JV was there. The guy is getting constant updates via radio and is so aware of the track around him that he watches the big screen monitors while driving.

He hit him on purpose.

3. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Not actually, go to the FIA webstite and look for the driving code of conduct, you have too many wrong opinions that you take as fact.

There are limits on what you are allowed to do to prevent someone from overtaking.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes naturally, but I must say this comment:

Means that racing does not actually exist. I know this thread is about MS and I am not trying to make an attack on AS, but what about Monaco when Mansell caught AS and AS (quite rightly) did not let him past. According to the above (stupid IMO) rule AS was in the wrong.

Racing is all about track position, and I am buggered if I am leading someone if I will ever pull over and let him past. Naturally I am not saying that I would swerve all over the track to constantly block them because that is not fair ... and also against the rules regarding changing position more than once. Also remember the famous race where Gilles V. held up just about the whole field for the whole race to take a win. Brilliant driving IMO, but according to that soft poofter rule he should have pulled over ...

I'm sorry if I state my opinions as fact (I guess I am too passionate about real racing), but I watched those races of Prost versus Senna, and I also raced at merely club level for 9 years and Prost did not do much wrong in both cases ... if anything he did not block hard enough ... and that I guess if where it gets complicated ;)

I also sorry am old school in believing motor racing should be about racing and big balls, etc. not nancy pansy BS.

Anyway back to MS's and JV. MS made a huge mistake and deservered the trouble he got into. I think it actually woke the sport up. I was just trying to say that AS should have got similar actions against him too, but for some reason many choose to ignore weaknesses in Senna and yet love to discuss them with MS ... I call that one eyed blindness :)

Pete

5. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    You are right that it seems anti-racing but that rule is very important in terms of safety, fighting for position in a straight is very dangerous, imagine the car in front gets his rear wing knocked off, it's pretty dangerous.

remember the jordan in qualifying that lost it's rear wing in a straight? remember how it went spinning just from braking? now imagine two cars involved in such an incident.

I admit even though i'm a Ferrari i am anti MS but i try to keep that bias to a minimum in discussions.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay it is dangerous, but don't we want a bit of that :D. I'm not saying I used to race to hurt myself or something, but I definitely enjoyed pushing myself to new higher limits and scaring myself was definitely in the bargain. If we remove all the danger then it simply becomes like a video game ... IMO.

Yes that Jordan did fly off real fast. Remember when Verstapin crashed into the back of a couple of cars at Intelagos (I think) ... that was a big one.

Fair enough everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I definitely agree that MS has done a few things that I do not respect ... but then on other days he has driven that fine line so well I am amazed at his ability.

Pete

7. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    The important thing is to diferentiate when it's a racing incident or not, the '89 Senna/Prost(not the '90 but that's another story) i consider to be a racing incident or the Montoya/MS i also consider a racing incident but thing's like the Senna/Prost crash.

we are discussing a single incident here that is the jerez 97 clash between JV and MS, now not because it wasn't pre meditated doesn't mean it was a mere racing incident, speciallly when has deliberately crashed into others in the past and admited to it(the one with Hill).

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I agree that the Jerez MS versus JV (unfortunate) incident was not a racing incident ... and will haunt MS for the rest of his life, and will be why he will never be discussed as one of the greats.

In the end winning is only fun IMO if you genuinely beat the other person. Otherwise how can you feel good about yourself.

Pete

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I think that statement is a little over-the-top don't you? I have that video and there really is nothing deliberate in my mind, but as my wife constantly tells me: " you only THINK you know everything"

Nevertheless, MS is still the greatest driver EVER and were it not for his broken leg at Silverstone in 1999 I have every confidence he would already be 7 times champion