Do stainless steel brake lines deteriorate with age? | FerrariChat

Do stainless steel brake lines deteriorate with age?

Discussion in '360/430' started by SCKOMS, Jul 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I am upgrading my brakes before a track day next month. Among other things I ordered Stoptech stainless brake lines for the front and rear brakes.

The front lines show a manufacture date of February 2014. Any concerns? Should I have them installed or return them?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Galaxy

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I personally would have no concerns with these parts just sitting new, unused. So-called stainless lines are actually stainless braiding over a teflon-based tubing. They are mainly subject to flexing in use and heat cycling, which I suppose ages them some, and like anything else, they can deteriorate with exposure to UV and maybe the fluids themselves, but nothing lasts forever. You should check them at least annually for possible kinks, abrasion, coming loose, etc., but are likely to outlast OEM rubber lines. I put StopTech lines into my 360 and there is a noticeable improvement in brake feel.

What pads will you be running?

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    EBC yellow for the track and red for the street (much less dust). Also installing Girodisc rotors.

Sent from my Galaxy

4. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Spoke with Stoptech tech support. They said there is no problem in using them.

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Instead of EBC, I suggest StopTech sport pads for street and light track. Ferodo DS2500 for track, but you can use them for street, too, if you don't mind a little squeal and you do a lot of track days and don't want to bother swapping pads.

6. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks,
    I'll keep that in mind for next time. I do maybe 3 track events per year.