Do you ever think about the less fortunate when buying a ferrari? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Do you ever think about the less fortunate when buying a ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TimN88, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am NOT talking about poor people in this country. I am talking about people who dont have shelters to live in because there are none to speak of there! I am talking about the people who die because they dont have penecillin to take for a simple infection, heck im talking about peolpe who die because they havent eaten a meal in weeks. If you think that these people should get their act together and go to school and then to college to obtain a career then you truly are the most naive person i have ever had the pleasure of exchanging thoughts with. you people who say you had nothing growing up are wrong. You had a country to live in which made it possible for you to have what you do.
    Gabriel, i know those charities are are wasteful. The idea was if you could provide those meals at .30, without the charity taking its share to run its operation.
    I really didnt expect allan lambo to ever care about less fortunate people. I think hes an ok guy, and hes really funny, but he doesnt seem like the kind of guy who wants to do good in the world and make it a better place for those to come. I could be totally wrong because i dont know everything he does, but thats the way it seems. This is ok though, as most humans are greedy by nature, meaning that all of our acts are dictated by self preservation (this is a depressing thought).

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, I think about what I spent on my F-car and how that $$ could have been put to better use in the world. At the same time I consider myself fortunate that I am in this position and that I was dealt the cards that I was. It hasn't come easy and I've earned it all myself. Fortunately I made the decision to take a positive road rather than the alternative. That's a choice that every human being has imo. You may not own an F-car but happiness can be measured in many ways. So the definition of a winner is one who takes the high road and chooses to shed adversity and make something of their lives.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually Tim, you'll discover as you go through life that this is our saving grace. I have seen much more good done in the interest of making a buck than by all the Sister Theresa's of the world. I'm not putting down her efforts. I'm sure they were well intended. Unfortunately, far too many chartiable efforts amount to little more than a bandaid. The underlying problem remains the same.

Just to give one example... I'm aware of research into a vaccine for the Teste fly fever. The people doing this are motivated mostly by money. But if they are successful, this technology will save the lives of millions of babies.

This, my friend is real progress.

Take care, Dale

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I understand what you are saying. I am motivated to get a good career because i like money. The best part is i will be able to earn this money while making things better for everyone. Just think of how great it would be if people who dont have a hand could have a mechanical hand that was almost as useful as a human hand? It is a reality, and this is the topic i want to do my senior project on.

5. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I do think about the money I spent on my two F-cars, porsche, BMW and bikes. Luckily, I've been successful enough to indulge my passion and still be very generous to other causes. I do not just mean charities, but making a difference through writing books, impacting our future generation, hopefully leaving a legacy for my children when I do decide to have a family. If you can meet your basic needs, then your indulgences then you can only have so much more to give to the less fortunate and with an open heart instead of feeling responsible or forced to be more giving.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don't fret, Tim. You're a lot closer to figuring this stuff out than you think.

When my daughter first went off to her hoity-toity college, she came back a Commie. My wife was a little upset because my daughter's Ivy-League college sure doesn't charge Commie prices for tuition. I wasn't worried because being a Commie at 19 is a good thing. If fact, I'd be a little worried if she wasn't questioning the basic principles of life here in the good ole USA.

As predicted the Commie stage didn't last too long. She is now talking about law school at Berkeley or working in London or Berlin or....

Ah, to be 20 again, and have the world at your door. Things might seem a bit sketcty right now. But, the truth is that you are entering one of the best stages in life. So get back to work and quit worrying. You'll do just fine.

Also, winter will be over soon, and with Spring comes...

Dale

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    All those homeless folks without penicillin are HERE now. They are walking thru my backyard, along the rail tracks. You want me to send you some??
    What's your address?

I can only use so many lawn men or housekeepers.

The only hope is with the future, man. That's why I'm doing my work with kids. Of course, the kids WE raise will grow to interact with the kids THEY raise... and so it goes.

8. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I gave up trying to save the world a long time ago; therefore, I rely on my elected officials to do this for me. As a matter of fact, I plan on making another huge donation on April 15th, just like I do every year...

9. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    i call the less fortunate, ricers!

When i get a ferrari i will think of the people that have honda civics and always wanted a ferrari...then i wont give a **** about them

let that be a quote for ferrari chat to remember

10. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Equilibrium Theory Doc? Very astute, and I'm quite annoyed with myself that you put it so much better than I.

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am not a communist, if thats what your thinking.

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not familar with Equilibrium Theory. Just based on what I have seen that works.

Take Care, Dale

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL, no I never thought that you were a commie, Tim. I was just using my daughter as an example of the changes that people tend to go through while in their late teens or early 20s. In fact, she'd probably be a bit ticked off if she knew that I had mentioned this little story.

Say good nite, Gracie...

14. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Damn right!:)

Do I feel guilty for the things I enjoy? No. Do I feel guilty that child labor helped produced the cigar that I'm smoking at this moment? No. Without my friends company to pay that child, the same child would starve. Would my friend make cigars if there were no profit? Hell no.

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SPEECHES:

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, is that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

-Gordon Gecko

15. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Give Tim a lot of credit for stimulating this discussion and perhaps bringing about some self reflection. Give Dr. Tax a lot of credit for his wise perspective and rational thinking. Thanks to both of you. The great thing about this country is we have the freedom to make a choice to the extent that individuals can choose how much to give to others. I think, however, that there is a growing movement in this country which proclaims: "I know what's best for you and I know how much you should be giving to others." I bitterly resent that movement and I think such righteous arrogance undermines the foundations upon which this country was built. If I give my money to those less fortunate, as I have a moral responsibilty to do, that's called charity. It's the right thing to do. However, if I give money to those less fortunate because some sanctimonious politician says I have to, that's called a shake down. And that's immoral. That form of government invariably fails, if history has taught us anything.

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love it.

17. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Good post la

18. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Doesn't sound racist only very true.

19. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Wow

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thank you Greg.

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Not sure if you Egyptians are considered "black" although they certainly are Africans. They had a little thing called the Egyptian Empire which was the mightiest power on Earth once, granted it was a long time ago.

As for latin america, Brazil has a powerful economy & a lot of bright shrewd businessmen & fairly intelligent politicians who are not 100% corrupt like the rest of latin America & who actually allow business to thrive.

If the US didnt exist Brazil would be THE American Superpower

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have a very hard time feeling bad for dropping $40K into my 308 when our President has spent $80B to go to Mars!

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I would say Egyptians would fall under Arabs or middle easterners.

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Prancing Horse, this was a rather rude comment. Don't forget the slide to Hell is greased with pride. Once I was offended by a dingy looking individual and I said to a friend almost the same thing you just did, something about pulling up in a Ferrari someday and spitting on his shoe. My friend turned and said that line to me, and I noted how malicious and prideful what I had said was. I felt bad about my comment for a long time.

Dr. Tax - if she's out of her Commie Phase, Berkeley Law might not be the right place :)!

I agree with you: it's the big money donors that really provide the means to get any philanthropic or charitable action to work. After having discussed this issue at length, I've come to a mid-point conclusion: that the world needs the big money donors to pay for projects and build capital, and the socially-minded individuals (ie. some bleeding hearts) to actually carry out the actions and manage the projects. Personally, I think I want to be on the side that's paying for the projects and maybe getting my name on the foundation rather than a worker dealing with people hands-on. People have different preferences though of where they want to be in the process.

One theory I have is that many families (who struggle/are poor) build wealth and are more centered on caring for their family and their money - and are generally "conservative." Then many of their children, because they grow up without any material fears, cares or wants, don't worry as much about 'making money' and become more involved with social causes and liberal politics. These well-educated people then lead the charities and foundations that are paid for by the charitable donations of the more conservative wealth-building families. And the cycle continues.

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Actually that is the stereotype, but I don't think it holds much water. Average median salary for Boalt Hall graduates last year was $119K/yr. We might portray a liberal image at undergrad, but when it comes to join the real world, Berkeley law grads seem to take the high paying high powered jobs, and forget all about thier undergrad liberal ideals they used to spew. I guess liberalism is fun when you are 20 and don't have to worry about bills, but can be hard to swallow when you are working at the public defender's office at 40K a year. I love the hypocrisy of Berkeley. LOL. I talked to the Boalt dean at a conference, and he said he was having a hard time getting the students to accept the loan forgiveness programs by working at low paying public sector jobs, since they all make $100K+ when graduating.

Very well put and certainly true!