Do you ever think about the less fortunate when buying a ferrari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Do you ever think about the less fortunate when buying a ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TimN88, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As the saying goes:
    If you're not liberal when you're 20, you have no heart.
    If you're not conservative when you're 40, you have no brain.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Hmm well I am a conservative at 21. One of the 31 members of the Berkeley College Republicans, in a campus with over 36K students.

I must have left my heart at home ;)

3. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    If my family was starving, I would feel guilty for indulging myself. The rest of the world's problems are not mine, I think about myself and my loved ones. I work so I can have nice things, not to feed someone who could care less what goes on in my life.

4. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I'll say it again... stupid thread. Enjoy your cars, we only inhabit this earth once...that we know of.

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I look at Ferraris (and other fine creations of man) as pinnacles, as the expression of what is emminently and presently possible for each and every one of us.

That human hands created it, and that my hands may one day adorn it, speers me on and drives me forward to excell in life to make that happen. The very idea that dreams like that can be realized pushes me on to realize MY dreams!

The persuit of luxury and enjoyment of worldly things had been deamonized, I belive unjustly.

To me the very best one can do with their carrear is to do something useful to humanity, AND get rich doing so (to encourage OTHERS to also do beneficial useful things!) Combine the persuit of wealth with respect and compassion for your fellow man, and you can elevate an entire community to a new level both spiritually and economically.

All the leaders, risk takers, tycoons, garage-start-ups, and other people who on a daily basis streatch the limits of human achivement out there, I salute you.

6. NY Joe 360

NY Joe 360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Joe

I toast to that!

7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Dont even get me started about republicans...
    I did not register with a party (but i voted for my father, who was running as a democrat.) Rebulicans where i live are so ignorant it makes me borderline sick. I am by no means liberal, but i cant stand uneducated, stupid rebulicans! I should add that i am not against voting rebulican, as i vote for whoever i feel would represent my views the best.
    btw, i hate people who are very liberal as well. I guerss i'd fit into the "liberal republican" catagory or the "conservative democrat" catagory....if that makes any sense.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL, Tim, I started out as a yeller dawg democract, i.e., someone who would vote the democractic ticket even all they ran was a yeller dawg. But then, I go back to days of Tricky Dick.

It was only after I became self employed that I got the joke about how the wheel turns. I was in the office one Sunday afternoon, when I realized that none of my employees were there AND guess who got paid last?

Lately though, I'm thinking about becoming a local Demo and a national Rep. The democractic party in my neighborhood is dead, dead, dead. They didn't even run a single candidate in the primaries. No lie.

Unfortunately, my local republicans are all on OxyContin. They recently had a major snit fit about a shopping center that put up statutes of David. You see, people could see David's pee pee. These Bozos actually made the shopping center remove the statutes of David! Geeze Louise.

Take Care, DrTax

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Thread descending into the muck....

You don't Know conservative! Sounds like that Tom Cruise movie, huh? :)

Here's conservative!:

MANAMA (Reuters) - Some 100 Bahraini Islamists shouting "God is Greatest" stormed a French restaurant serving alcohol in the pro-Western Gulf Arab state and threatened diners with knives, witnesses said on Thursday.

One diner managed to wrest a knife away from the Islamists and stabbed one with it, causing him severe injuries, a witness said.

They said the assailants, opposed to the consumption of alcohol banned by Islam, also threw gasoline bombs at customers' cars parked outside the restaurant near the capital Manama late on Wednesday, damaging nine vehicles.

"Abound 100 young men, shouting Allahu Akbar (God is greatest), came to the restaurant carrying knives and shouted at the customers: Why do you drink?," Jahanshah Bakhtiar, owner of La Terrasse Restaurant, told Reuters.

"They were acting as if they had the right ideas and people should obey them," he said, adding that there were about 40 customers in the restaurant.

Security police investigating the incident declined to comment.

Bahrain, headquarters of the U.S. Fifth Fleet and the Gulf's banking hub, has traditionally enjoyed a more liberal atmosphere than some of its more conservative neighbors.

It allows restaurants, bars and night clubs to serve alcohol but has recently witnessed a rise in protests against Western-style events deemed immoral by Islamists.

Bahraini newspapers reported on Thursday that young men had attacked a house in a village where they suspected foreign workers were producing alcohol.
    END

And don't repeat that mantra "These are islamic extremists" - These are run of the mill muslims.

Note how the writer portrays Bahrain as: "traditionally enjoying a more liberal atmosphere than some of its more conservative neighbors."

*Thread highjacking complete*

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I am always grateful to God that I have been blessed with such good fortune. And remember, God is a Libertarian ! He wants you to do right, but gives you the free will to do wrong. If everyone that was a Libertarian at heart, would join the party and vote Libertarian, we would have a much better country IMHO. www.lp.org

11. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    Honestly, until this thread I never thought about less fortunate people in reguards to my Ferrari purchase or what ever I choose to spend my money on. Guilt, not a chance, I earned every last penny and still do. Empathy,only for those who physically or mentally don't have the capacity to put in the effort neccessary to achieve their reality of success. My Ferrari has little to do with Glen the person, other then it's a cool toy. Agreed, growing up as an upper middle class male, I had oppertunities that I chose to run with, and that didn't include money being handed to me from anyone. Also as stated earlier on this board, many of us own our own companies and donate not only our time, but a lot of money to our communities, I know I do.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's hard not to think of them.....they glare at me at the stop light, from a battered old Nissan sedan.... with about six kids in the backseat....without belts on.

BUT THE KIDS ARE SMILING AND WAVING!

I always wave back.

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

I AGREE 100% Frank!!!

14. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    A quote from SOGR:

"This is the difficult point with most people... they have the idea that God has finished his work, and made all that he can make, and that the majority of people must stay poor because there is not enough to go around. They hold to so much of this erroneous thought that they feel ashamed to ask for wealth.

They try not to want more than a very modest competence, just enough to make them fairly comfortable".

The only reason why there is poverty in the world is because those in poverty self-perpetuate it because they have no concept of the reality that you and I and Bill Gates live in.

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Most California republicans ;) are not your typical ignorant ones you are thinking of. I came to Berkeley to get an understanding of the left and see what their argument is all about and see if it changed any of my views. It did not, but at least I can say I am an open minded republican. :)

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Well said Sir!