Do you guys drive your Ferrari in the rain? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you guys drive your Ferrari in the rain?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ucorders, Jan 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Nobody expects a brand new Ferrari owner to drive in the rain. This is a learned activity that takes lots of practice. When I bought my car with 6217 miles on it 4 years ago I was afraid to drive it for fear of overly depreciating it, thinking it was special and to be saved for the future because of its low miles. The more I drove it, the more I realized I got more enjoyment out of it by driving it than letting it sit. Eventually you say to yourself, hell its my car, its not an investment grade Ferrari, I might as well drive it as much as possible and spread the depreciation over as many miles as possible. The reason why practically every bearing in my car had to be replaced at the 30K was because the prior owners let the car sit for months at a time without driving it. The car now has over 24K on it, I drive it in the rain as needed, I still keep it clean as many on here can attest, and the smile on my face will have to be surgically removed!

2. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I meant to address this to ucorders

3. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    sorry but yes

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I try to avoid it in mine,unless it rains when i drive it,which has happened twice to me since ive had the car. When i took the car home,i gave it a really good wash,because where i live,the rain turns into acid rain because the mines(people live acrosss the road from the mines) have an acid plant,lead stack and copper stack that pumps out toxic fumes everyday,and when it rains,if you leave the car unwashed,it wont take long for it to mark the paint,of eat off the clear coat. But if i lived anywhere else,it wouldnt bother me at all! More fun in the rain anyways! ;)

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What is this 'rain' thing you speak of? ;)

OK, I guess I wouldn't take mine out in the rain, but it depends on if it's just been detailed in/out/engine or just average clean. Frankly the Jeep's easier to clean. If you want to talk, I'll be standing over in the wimp line with everyone from the SoCal group.

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yeah yeah, rub it in..................................

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    There's rain, and then there's RAIN!

23 straight days with rain, as of today, and rain in the forecast for every day in the next week. The record here is 33 days in a row.

We can expect to see that salmon swimming across the road by the Skokomish any day now on the evening news. I haven't seen him yet!

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    23 days straight?? :( **** that ****! Come live where im from man,it rains maybe 10 days of the year here if your lucky! Hot and sunny all day everyday! I love it! :)

9. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

I just might move! This year has really put me in a depression with all this ******** rain. I just think of friends of mine. Year round they are in shorts and flip flops! Palm trees, beach, 80 degree + . Damn it!

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I bet it isn't as green there unless you are talking about Hawaii

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Some early Ferraris up to the 50's/'60s/'70's were only painted on their exterior panels, meaning the interior surfaces were bare metal and getting water on these could start the rusting process.

12. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    For what it is worth, I love to drive mine once a week AT LEAST. Over here on the West Side of Puget Sound, I've been able to find a day with dry pavement (usually) that often, even in the midst of the "few weeks of rain" we've had. Sometimes the rain is only at the beginning or end of the day & the roads dry out pretty well.
    So, I guess I'm lazy about having to detail it if it is driven on wet or muddy roads, but with timing, it is possible, even here in the NW, to find dry roads once a week.
    I can't let it sit in the garage dirty, so I just optimize the driving to times when the conditions don't require all that, as much as possible.
    Shucks, it is even dry today, so the red car goes out!!
    But please keep the idea alive that it rains 364 days a year up here!!!

13. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    I ran out of patience today and went for a drive. After the first puddle it does not really matter. On the positive not I found out my roof really does not leak that much. Judging by the 10 day weather forecast there is not need to clean it.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Right on!!. Stay away from dump trucks, semis and logging trucks and you'll do okay.

15. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Clean it for the fun of it!

16. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I know Porsches not the same as Ferrai but, I drive my Porsche everyday.
    Im getting my moneys worth

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    LOL! Sucks to be you mate! ;)

18. mæse

mæse Karting

Nov 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    mæse
    The rain really came down yesterday

19. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    #44 GTB4NART, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would never, ever drive my Ferrari in the rain, ever!

All kidding aside, I once washed my TR and it failed to start after the wash! Someone later told me that it bad mojo to get water anywhere near the ECUs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #45 synchro, Jan 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This silver 550 passed me just south of Olympia.
    Oh yeah, had a problem with the wiper linkage but the droplets gather and roll off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login