do you hide your keys? | FerrariChat

do you hide your keys?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Purch23, Oct 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just watched a video of a NJ home burglary. 3 perps cased the kitchen searching for the key fob to the BMW in the driveway. That's the only thing they took. My town has a very low burglary/car theft rate but my 430 is quite eye catching and I would think would be a trophy steal to some career criminal. I've seen UPS drivers and such take pictures of it in the garage. I also had an unscrupulous looking fellow pull over on a back road when he saw me in his rear view only to then pull directly in back of me after I passed him. I wonder if he wanted my plate #. My car is alarmed, my garage is alarmed and the car alarm is always on. But I leave my keys out in the open on the kitchen counter. If I'm going to hide them I'd have to do better than in a cabinet, which is exactly where the thieves in the video found the beamer fob.

Wondering others' thoughts.

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I keep both sets of keys to my 430 in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DadsFerrari likes this.
  3. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Ya know, not a bad idea to keep keys in the safe…

While on the one hand I could see a Ferrari being a trophy steal, on the other hand I’d think most thieves would want to zoom off in something less noticeable.

Of concern to me would be a thief thinking if someone has a Ferrari they likely have more valuables/cash/etc. in the house than the average home.

NYC Fred likes this.
  4. addict

addict Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 9, 2019
    Boston, MA
    I wasn't in the car so I can't judge but when I was younger [and occasionally to this day], if I see something exciting in the rear view mirror, I pull over and let it pass just so I can watch it move down the road. At the core of it, we're all car nuts, some of us can just afford more expensive toys.

Since you live in a safe zip code and everything is locked up, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I try not to at least. I'm sure you've got great insurance, worst case you'll have to use the policy.

+1 to the safe idea assuming your safe is big, heavy, and bolted down.

5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I keep primary keys with me in my laptop bag at all times and secondary/backups in the safe-

Cheers

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ^
    This.

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I know someone that never locks his home. He was burglarized once. Came home to a jacked up door that needed replacing.
    He now leaves his alarm on and door unlocked. No need to come home to a jacked up door…..

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Was this Moorestown? Its where my folks live. Would you mind posting a link to the video?

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Re-tittle for thread.

Just how paranoid are you? :eek::rolleyes:

10. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave

11. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Move it along.

DadsFerrari likes this.
  12. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I did that with my mailbox. The post is not secured into the ground so when it gets knocked down on mischief night I put it right back up, unbroken.

DadsFerrari and ronfrohock like this.
  13. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The gentlemen was unscrupulous of an urban variety. I won't go into detail because it will sound racist.

DadsFerrari likes this.
  14. addict

addict Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 9, 2019
    Boston, MA
    I would hope to give people the benefit of the doubt and just assume they're a car person but obviously I wasn't there. I probably wouldn't drive home until I was sure they weren't hanging around anymore. That said, it's basically impossible to convert a license plate into a physical address -- trust me, I've tried with an abandoned car.