Do You Own, Lease or make payments on your Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do You Own, Lease or make payments on your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vref, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you _______________ your Ferrari?

1. Own (paid in Full)

2. Lease or Company Leases

3. Make Payments on

4. None of your Business

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    if you truly love it you own it. if you are interested in investments i suggest a old musclecar.

2. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    There may be psychological reasons for paying cash, such as "sleeping better at night," "pride in ownership," or "dislike of making monthly payments," but there are no economic/financial justifications. Bottom line is that a car is not a good place to park $200K. Econ101 tells you to finance the car and invest the $200K. At the end of the four or five years, you have the car paid plus the return on the $200K... vs. just have a car worth half as much under the buy cash scenario. Just leaving the $200K in the car is stupid unless you are extremely wealthy, ie ten figures, and $200k is a drop in the bucket.

Ernesto

3. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    But arent you effectively losing interest by using your own money for something like a car?

I believe the economic term would be opportunity cost.

No matter if one has a billion dollars in the bank, if you can borrow money for a lower rate than you can earn with it, from a pure financial standpoint, how can it be "cheaper" to ever use your own $$$ on something like a car?

Wheres Dr. Tax when we need him? :D

4. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Yeah...what he said.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    geez...even if ur worth 9 figures $200K is still a drop in the bucket!
    :)

would be nice to be worth $100,000,000

6. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Meant to type 8 (eight) figures... sorry...

7. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    I thought all you Ferrari owners were!

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The key is "if you can borrow money for a lower rate than you can earn with it" People alway make statements such as I can earn 10% on my 200K and I can get a loan with an interest rate of 5% but the thing is I don't know anywere you can get a guaranteed rate of return of 10%.
    To me it comes down to percentages if I have 200k in cash I would prefer to spend 15% of it on a car and invest the rest. If I had 7 or 8 figures in my portfolio then I wouldn' t worry about what I'm spending on a car but then I wouldn't have to borrow money to buy my car either. As they say everything is relative.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My cars are all in repo!

10. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    Another vote for OWN. At some point being 100% efficient financially gets outweighed by the other factors that some have pointed out. I've gone so far as to even pay off the house.

Now, I've heard all the money would make more in the market, you can deduct mortgage interest, etc, etc. But if the market tanks, I somehow manage to lose everything, can't work and the world ends tomorrow - I'll still have the Ferrari and the garage to park it in. Not a bad investment [or insurance policy if you look at it that way] in my book. Just a different take on Econ 101 and opportunity costs - I'd rather have a higher total net worth than make more anyday.

11. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I own. Interesting comments on why to finance vs own. Also interesting that the overwhelming majority of Ferrari owners have chosen to own outright. I don't believe in financing toys. You finance investments.

12. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Since I'm in the market for a 360 spider, I just did all the projection on 2 leases. The quotes were provided by Premier Financial Service. The projections I did included all the factors I could think about including tax savings from leasing and the benefit of investing money with leasing (after tax long term cap gain assumed).

Maybe some better rates are available, but basically, in both cases, I have to make more than 10% of interest investing the cash not tied in the car for the lease to be cheaper.

It appears that by leasing, you simply guarantee some interest to the bank. Yes you can beat 10% but you'll have to be aggressive.

It also appears that by adding a few weird rules, leasing companies make a lot of extra money. These rules include a double first monthly payment, an extra monthly payment when you want to cancel the lease and even 2 extra monthly payments if you want to cancel the lease before 12 months.

Let me know if you want me to post all the numbers.

I'll buy my next toy. Thank you very much!

ACW

13. sp308qv

sp308qv Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    South Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve Ponzetto
    making loan payments on mine, anyone want to loan me money for a challenge car?

14. shelbee

shelbee Guest

100% agree, because it is a "want" not a "need"

15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Trust me. If it comes down to it, having the ability to sign over you car to another person in case of an accident is great! I needed moola {If that's how you spell it} about 5 years ago on Christmas eve and the $1000 from to bank accounts and the $3500 from 3 credit cards just wasn't enough. Bye Bye Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS with Power sunroof, leather seats and cd player {with 20 cds in the back seat}. Playing in the snow is too much fun. It should be illegal.

16. Onlinesys

Onlinesys Formula Junior

May 1, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Own my car but in company's name so that all expenses including depreciation are tax deductable.

Cheers

17. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve

I agree with the ‘never finance a toy theory’ I think Marq agrees as well but I’m not 100% sure what the little man is trying to say?

18. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey, Marq's little 'thumbs up' man didn't come up when I replied, I'm disappointed.

By the way, how do you get these little smiley / sad faces into the body of your post

19. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Jus' giving the 'thumbs up' in agreement with Frank's statement. No question here, pay cash. Own it.
    Personally, I don't finance anything.

20. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I own all my vehicles and company trucks, payed cash and got good deals.The rich get richer by paying cash is true, you can act fast to take advantage of opportunities on a moments notice.

Its a different feeling driving something you own vs borrowing the banks property.

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Own. It's just a lot easier to drive knowing that it's just you and not your bank, too.

22. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Just left and low of where you hit submit reply is the world smilies. It brings up a window.

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I've had more than a few clients over the years who signed "closed-end" leases and had the unfortunate experience of smacking up their $100K+ "toy".

It was nice to know that at the end of the lease they were able to return their "properly repaired car" (paid for by their insurance) to the lease company for the agreed upon residual value.........when in fact the actual value was SIGNIFICANTLY less (I am talking tens of thousands here or more) as a result of the accident that the vehicle had been involved in.

Their "cash" that "would have been" tied up in the car was unnaffected...................the lease company took the hit.

Owning is emotional....*most* leasing is logical.

The argument that if you need quick cash you can always sell the car also does not wash either...sorry guys...I am in the business....if I smell blood in the water you can be rest assured that I will bite hard. I'll offer you less than wholesale or whatever I want....try to sell an F-car or anything with 4 wheels at retail prices quickly...it just does not happen anymore......expecially when you are a vendor under pressure.

As for the dollar equations......the 2-3-4% it may cost you to do it after you factor in the opportunity cost is very cheap insurance. It's really the only way to go. People who pay cash usually don't care because they have too way much money to look at it this way.......good for them I guess.

24. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    These cars are more about emotion than logic; at least so for me.

25. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    Own. Worked hard, saved cash for many years, got the TR as a 40th birthday present as planned. Not bad for someone who started out delivering newspapers and shoveling driveways as a kid. Paris who?