Do you really need a radio/stereo in your Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you really need a radio/stereo in your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alx355gt, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Art, this is strange. My 04 spider does not have a cd changer.

AW

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    My V1 is hardwired above the rear view... works great.

My new Stradale won't even have a radio or speakers... as little as I've used the one in my Modena, I see no point in the added weight, loss of storage space, and the ugly appendage from the dash. In fact, I plan to install data acquisition stuff down there, so the radio would just get in the way.

For long trips, I'll bring along my iPod... afterall, in the middle of west Texas or Arizona, radio reception is somewhat lacking, and with the Stradale at full song on open highways, I doubt I'll be able to hear the radio without noise-cancelling headphones anyway! :D (Note that I said "I'll bring along"; its not clear I'll ever actually play it. ;) )

The ONLY issue will be the inability to get traffic reports when I get caught in traffic; for that, I'll probably get the radio receiver SD card for my Treo cell phone.

Okay... I admit it... I'm a gadget guy... in addition to being a Ferrari nut.

3. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    I agree with both views, initially I want to hear the engine, but during a 200+mile trip some music is good, although the reception on the std 360 becker unit is pisspoor, the worst radio I have ever heard - or is mine just a dud.

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've had 3 Ferraris, and never turned the radio on in any of them. Well to be fair, the current one (348 Challenge) doesn't have a radio, but despite driving it on the street (to and from track events) it would never occur to me to have one.

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    As a musician, music lover, audiophile, etc.... Have been debating this for a long time in my mind. On one hand the sound of the tranny, custom exhaust, etc in the 1985 Euro 308GTS QV is plenty of "music", yet on the VERY RARE occasions there MIGHT be a time where music would be nice. In the end i have also debated removing the radio and speakers to further lower the weight of the car.

Conclusion: Radio and speakers stays in and during the past year have listened to the unit about 45 minutes... driven the car 8k miles. Do the math :)

Enjoy the Music, er, um, Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Absolutely yes, at least in my opinion. While I love the sound of my car, music is a requirement during a daily commute. I generally leave it off until I hit the freeway, and then turn the radio on.

The unit in mine is an older Sony. I need to upgrade to some decent speakers and a CD/MP3 changer at a minimum. Once I drag all the extraneous alarm systems out of the passenger side floorboard, a sub will go in there.

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile and and have some high-end gear at home for home theater, etc. but have only ONCE turned the radio on to see if the power antenna worked, that's it. I LOVE THE SOUNDS, gate shifter clinking, burbling engine, sonorous ROAR as you run up the tach. Stereo ... we don't need no stinking stereo !

8. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    A week after getting my 360 spider (and hearing the stock sound system) I dropped $2100 on a custom installation. When I picked the car up, I got in and before starting the car, listened to the new system. I was BLOWN away by the great sound. I started the car and started to drive home. I quickly realized that a stereo of this sort is wasted in a car like this. The engine sounds blend with the performance of the car and together create the ultimate driving experience. Adding a stereo screws it all up.

It is kind of like trying to listen to two songs at the same time.

Russ

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Replaced the original speakers and player with new speakers and a MP3 player.

Listening to the engine is fun on curvy streets and while racing. But on an hour long highway drive it gets a bit tedious without sound.

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I can't put a finger on it but I never tire of the SOUNDS. Been an owner for 3 years now and it still excites me, my wife tells me I'm a strange person though, maybe that's why.

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've found that I rarely ever listen to the stereo in my car. The engine is a nice substitute for the music. Then again, maybe I don't listen to the stereo because it's too hard to hear with the "other" symphony always blasting.

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in the sportier models, you need a radio/disc player, but i would not make it an expensive one since you either aren't listening to it or the car/road noise drowns it out. i put it in the lowliest single disc player in my 512tr and only really ever use the radio when tooling around town; on the highway its a complete waste of time.

in the 456/612 (maybe even in the 550), the stock radio/multi disc player is probably sufficient, and works pretty well.

i never felt that i would want to reduce my trunk space for stereo equipment. if you want to listen to music in your car, get a merc with a great system.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Granted this is probably immature, but anyway: Has anybody seen the movie "Iron Eagle"? Where the kid tries to fly an attack on Lybia (?) to free his father and he doesn't get it right until he puts in his favourite rock'n' roll tape. I know, silly. True, but that's sometimes how I like to drive: Put in my favourite rock CD and hit my favourite road and turns.

Of course that's not serious track driving, but it sure is fun. Maybe I should grow up...

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Ah yes. How could I forget. Good old "Iron Eagle." Still don't like the stereo, though. I think it's a bit of a distraction from enjoying the drive.

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Everyone has there own, legitimate feelings on this issue, I just like the engine symphony, my personal version of Pavarotti or Andrea Bocelli singing wonderful arias like Nessun Dorma. As far as movie scenes go, what about Nicholas Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds playing "Low Rider" before commencing the night of pilferage?

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That is a great moment, no doubt. And probably comparable to what athletes go through, when they rerun the film of their upcoming performance in their head.

Puccini, Pavarotti and Bocelli are playing in my cabin when my better half rides co.

17. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    "Do you really need a radio/stereo in your Ferrari?"

NO, got a Tubi w/test pipes!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

18. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Radio? Oh, that must be what goes in the empty hole in my 360 dash!

Actually, my radio hasn't worked since I picked up the car in December (it was recently sent back to Ferrari to get fixed) - and I haven't missed it at all. The Capristo "radio" is all I need. :)

19. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Got my test pipe on order from Hyperflow, I can't wait !!!

20. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Hey, thanks for the replies so far!
    So it's a matter of taste on longer trips, and when you use the car as a daily driver a radio becomes a bit more usefull. For most people, a radio/stereo isn't really neccessary is this kind of car.

It seems everyone loves the sound of Ferrari. Off course! Just what I tought :)

21. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    An amendment to my previous post, YES there are times i wish i had a nice, bumpin' hard hittin' stereo. Alas, to really do it right i KNOW this would add a few hundred pounds :( FYI: One of my previous cars had multiple customized "Class A" solid-state 12 Volt amplifiers (extra batteries, modded charging system, etc), a pair of 12's, JBL studio drivers, etc.

Then when sitting at a light with the usual Camero/Z28/Ricer trying to "play game" i'd not race, but instead drop the tune...

Enjoy the Music (DMX "What's My Name"),

Steven R. Rochlin

"This is the f----n s--- I be talkin about
    Half rappin' a-- mothaf----s
    You think it's a game?
    YOU THIN IT'S A F----N GAME?

Come on
    Come on
    What'cha really want
    What'cha really want, what
    D-M-X
    Come on
    RYDE OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT'S MY NAME?

dmx and I be the best
    You see the rest they lookin like they need a rest
    ONE MORE TIME
    I'mma spit at you some s----
    That's gon get at you be f-----n with your mind

STOP TALKIN' S---
    Cuz you out there runnin' your mouth
    And really don't know who you f----n with

HERE WE GO AGAIN
    How many times do I have to tell you rap n----s?
    I have no friends

YOU STILL ACTING UP
    Runnin around here like some brand new.... that's about to get..."