Do you think a 355 with over 20,000 is worth much less? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you think a 355 with over 20,000 is worth much less?

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348SStb, Mar 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Kelly,

Thanks for the compliments...while I'm inspired to keep writing, I'm equally terrified that I'll run out of clever things to say ;)

Yeah, there is an interesting situation when it comes to mileage. I think high-mileage sellers try to suggest that the low-mileage garage queens are problems waiting to happen.....while the low-mileage owners think they have super-prestine value on account of the small numbers on the clock.

For what it's worth, I've met several regular buyers of Ferrari's who have told me that they've never bought a "garage-queen" and had all those rumored problems occur. Technically I bought a garage queen too: '97 355 spider with only 3,200 miles....no issues so far (crossing my fingers). My hunch is that higher mileage sellers are just trying to generate a knock on their more appealing competition.

Back to the theme of this thread: yes, I think 20,000 is a bit of a magically number where you could almost suggest the 'virgin' miles are over....it definitely strikes me as a seperate "level". Perhaps the next level is after 35,000 then 50,000 then 80,000. Who knows....just guessing.

I am convinced of one thing: with a Toyota Camry I'd bet you could take 2 idential cars and each would have a very VERY similar engine longevity & life. At the same time, you could take 2 Ferrari's that are identical and one may go 80,000 with few problems and the other blow-up at 34,000. It's a luck-of-the-draw thing.

2. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    you mean low mileage like this one....

http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=198812&sessionkey={7E8ECE9A-65A7-4AB7-A645-9B4D4688CE0B}

3. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    steve, i agree with you in principle, however, i still feel stongly that most of the non wear and tear issues usually turn up before 25,000 miles. then again, you can't beat buying a car with 3000 miles on it, especially if it has passed a rigid ppi, and you make a great buy. last but not least, i don't think enough could ever be said about general maintainence, which is usually what is lacking when people buy an f-car that they really can't afford. man, i really enjoy the f-chat community, provides a great forum for good debate -- i will look forward to your future posts. cheers, kelly

4. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Big Kahuna,

Man....we're riding the same wave. Honestly, I was going to throw in something about how proper mainenance can really make a huge difference in how far a car goes without major problems AND how many defect problems will emerge & show themselves when you have those 20,000 miles on the car already.

One could make the arguement that the 20k miles flushes out some issues, but in reality we place the prestine quality of low-miles as paramount. I'm glad I'm no longer in the market ;)

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yes, That WAS traumatic for me too! :D:D:D

DL

6. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    Wanna speculate.......buy some property

Wanna buy an investment.....talk with a stockbroker

Wanna drive the piss out of a car and never look back, do your shoping and pick a good one but be happy with the purchase

9000miles in year one and about to break 30K....no looking back here. Cars were meant to be driven, just look out for the ones with the demons, get it and drive it....it's that simple. I think those who truely enjoy these cars are more weary of the garage queens....what are your intentions? Every one tends to ask.....what is this worth? Well.....what IS it worth to YOU!

I'll chime in again end of this year when I hit 40K!

7. vsnqust

vsnqust Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    Next to roland
    I have 32k on my 355 and 20k on my 456.. I change the fluids regularly and
    go over the cars to look for problems regularly.. The most expensive part
    for me has been the belts at 5yrs on the cars. Otherwise nothing else
    has been a problem.. I get in the cars turn the key and hit the road! I plan
    to drive the 456 to the vegas event which is 800 miles each way and
    don't have a worry at all on breaking down.. Last summer I drove the 456 -- 1400 miles from texas to colorado without a problem... okay I did have a problem.. I had to slow down to get gas!!

8. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The problem on the trannys is the 'Lifetime Fill" (ie, fluid is good for 100k and no more, and we removed the dipstick tube to make it very hard to change!)
    Change it every 60k and you'll be good to go for 300k miles.

9. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I don't know of a street driven F355 that has had a motor wear out (valve guide problem notwithstanding, and this is more of a design flaw.) Does anyone else know of such a car?