Do you think that a 348 will become a classic? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you think that a 348 will become a classic?

Discussion in '348/355' started by GERRA456gt, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think this is spot on. The 348's are still in the process of being used up and modified. In 2026, you'll be hard put to find a nice original one outside of a collection. 348 prices are also falling into a range where many of them no longer have homes where money is no object (ditto 308/328). That suggests increased attrition.

But: maybe we're confusing "classic" with "highly sought-after collectible"? The 246 and Boxer are already there (or damn close); the 308/328/TR will be there eventually - maybe in 5-10 years. I think the 348 may lag a bit in the "highly sought-after collectible" category for being less iconic and also for its reputation (deserved or not) for being problematic.

2. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    So should I sell it now or later?
    13k miles, absolutely mint condition.

3. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    I think the 348 Spider (and the TRs) are the last of the "classic" look Ferrari. I believe any convertible Ferrari in stock, well maintained condition will become a classic. Interesting point about international economics and growth opening up to create a "bigger" market and still so few cars.

Will a 348 ever be as iconic as a 308/328?? No way. Magnum PI is a classic show and helped create a classic car. I personally wanted a 348 Spider over a 328 GTS for its convertible (im a rag top man!), classic lines and styling and i wanted 90's technology as compared to 80's technology. I love my 348 Spider. I did put it on the market and when it goes, i will miss it. I want to try out some other models, old and new. We only live once and life it short--I want to experience as many exotics as I can while im able to.

I also know what kind of cars I like to drive. Im sure the raw power of a 12 cyl TR or Diablo is going to be insane and put a HUGE smile on my face.. but in the long term drive, im going to miss the quick, nimble ability of the "little" 8 cyl 348. It truly is a fun FUN car to drive and experience. So much more comfortable then I ever thought it would be.

No regrets on my purchase and I dont plan on losing dollars when i sell it.. I think the market on them has leveled and as the years go on you will see them steady, and rise on the clean, original, stock ones.

4. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I never like the car on pictures, but I am always pleasantly surprised when I see it in real time. Yes, it will be a classic, although it will take some time.

5. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    Being an owner of a 348 I am biased but.......

I think there are two ways to look at a classic. One of for the hard core Ferrari enthusiasts and the other is from the view of the general public. Although I own a Ferrari I am probably still much closer in my thinking to what the general public think. When I decided to by a Ferrari this fall I thought the new ones still had the strakes! I'm in my 40's so this probably influences what I think a Ferrari looks like. My vote is that it already is a "Classic" as far as the public is concerned. As far as the resale value and the opinion of Ferrari experts it may always be thought of as a less than perfect series.

6. carlosgdias

carlosgdias Karting

Oct 11, 2004
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    G.D.
    It will definitely become a classic, and sooner than any 355, 360 or 430 will...! It`s as simple as that.

It`s a FERRARI (meaning they all are different from the other cars, they all bear the same pedigree).

Seeing other Ferrari owners saying that a 348 «doesn´t deserve to be a classic» seems like cannibalism to me...
    Is the same going to happen with the 360?

7. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I don't think any of the modern cars will be classics but I still like them.

8. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C

I agree. I dont think the 348 photographs as well as other Ferraris and must be seen in person to truly appreciate. I find that true of my own spider, too.

9. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    348's do have beautiful lines when seen in person.
    Hard to capture in a photo.

John,
    Did your flawless Spider sell?

10. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    I agree with you. Heres my reasoning--

My opinion is the higher production numbers will hinder the newer Ferraris as a "traditional classic" car. I also believe that with the 360 on up, Ferrari has become like an unattainable super car. Now I know Ill get criticism for that comment, and to us exotic fanatics we know the difference between an Enzo and a 430.. But when i first saw a 360 in person and saw the price tag it just seemed like a ridiculous car. I love the car, but I dont look at a 360 or 430 and think FERRARI like I did when i was a kid and had a 328 GTS poster on my wall. I see it as a different animal altogether.

My first Fcar is/was a 348 Spider. I intentionally picked the car for a lot of reasons. One of those reasons isnt the BEST speed, acceleration, performance, etc (its a ****en blast to drive, dont get me wrong). Its by no means the fastest car ive ever driven. But I didnt get it for that. I got it for overall appearance, convertible, in my mind a "classic look" Ferrari. If i was more about performance, i would have spent the extra $20g's and gotten a 355 Spider.

I will get and try out a 360 someday.. Im really in no rush for one (my wife loves it over any Lamborghini, though). I want to experience a lot of other exotics before that one. Its down the list of Things To Do.

11. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C

I had a few serious buyers.. One finally decided to get a 355 instead. Another drove 4 hours round trip, was AMAZED at the condition and we made a deal. He shook my hand. He called me 3 times the next day to leave me the deposit...

Then he dropped off the face of the earth. I seriously hope the guy didnt get sick/die (im being serious), but short of those excuses one of my biggest pet peaves, other than slow, idiotic mini vans with Jesus fish on them, is a man that goes back on his word after a hand shake. To me thats a sad example of humanity and being a "real man". I **NEVER** will back out of a deal, even if 10 mins later I have remorse. I live with my decisions.

Any who, everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we dont know why, but I truly believe that.

The car will go eventually but im still enjoying the crap out of it. The more seat time I get, the more i really fall in love with it! I was/am working deals on 2 other F-Cars so maybe the reason my buyer chumped out is because I wasnt meant to get one of those. Maybe the TR i was going to buy last week was going to hit me with a $10,000 repair bill in 3 weeks. God works in mysterious ways.

Thanks for asking!

12. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Best of luck to ya buddy!
    And the man upstairs does work in mysterious ways.

13. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    They're all classics to some degree just by virtue of the name on the tail. If it were easy to pick a "classic", we'd all have a garage full of Daytonas, Dinos, Cobras, and Hemis., wouldn't we? All were cheap to their original cost not too long after manufacture. My 348 is a classic to the only person who matters in that regard-guess who?

14. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

Maybe he didn't have a fish on on the back of his car

15. HOT4RE

HOT4RE Karting

Nov 28, 2005
    LA County, CA
    Full Name:
    (TJ)

Based on my life experience, I agree 100% with this statement. Very well stated. "Things happens for a reason."

16. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    Well the 348 is already classified a classic Ferrari here on FerrariChat, and this forum is full of experts.

17. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Of course... all Ferraris will be classic. There are two things in old cars; junk or classic. Non will stay modern forever. The one that stay in modern term the most, I think, is the 308. But one day it will be a total classic. If the appreciation toward a particilar car die with time, that thing is as good as junk. Non of the prancing horse will ever become junk. May be one is more than the others but they all are very classic.

18. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Thank you.... but most people don't think so. Look at the 348 value still some what equal to the Testarossa, I still don't understand why...

A better question than " Will the 348 ever become classic? " is " will the value of the Testarossa ever be way surpass the 348 in 20 years? " YES..!!! 20 years from now, people will say..." you know what, 20 years ago, this Testarossa was the same price as that small 348 ", " No, you're kidding. Why? ", " I don't know, they thought it was faster and more modern then, I guess. "

19. Harold

Harold F1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2004
    Singapore/Australia
    Its a great car and true value for money. But no, it will never be a classic in the sense of the greater Ferrari's, there are too many heavy weights out there. Having said that, it is still a wonderful car in its own right and that is all that counts. And heck, its still a Ferrari.... doesnt matter what Montezemelo ever said, as long as you love it, so be it.

20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I may be a little biased here ;) But it will become a classic in mind :D If it doesnt,it doesnt bother me in the least :D

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    In the Ferrari world I don't think it will be a "classic". The 355 took the wind out of those sails.

However, I do think that the 348 will become a "cult classic". Just like the movies "Animal House", "The Blues Brothers", or National Lampoon's "Vacation" are cult classics. No the didn't win any Acadamy Awards, but they have won the hearts of of those that love fun movies. You can watch then 5, 10, and 15 years later and still get the same fun and stupid laughs out the movie. In the same way the 348 has won the hearts of those that love a fun car. The 348 doesn't have all the fancy schamncy electronic controls that modern cars have. No traction control, no power steering, no electronicly controlled suspention, no fancy computer controlled paddle shifting, no variable valve timing, no launch control, or fly-by-wire throttle. No the 348 is a pretty basic settup. The only electronic driving aid it has is Anti-Lock Breaks. Other than that it's all about the driver.

Maybe that's why it already has a pretty good fan base. Those of us that own a 348 refer to our little cult following as the "Brotherhood".

Then we have fixxing the car. Those of us "Men" :D that like to do our own mechanical work don't need any fancy computer to work on it. No, just put a wrench in your hand and start turning it. If you do need to get into the computer it has the very basic OBD1 settup that flashes the engine codes. We can thank Uncle Sam for that. It is also another reason why the 348 is well liked by those that own and work on it. In a word it's "simple".

The styling is getting a bit dated, but to me it is still way better looking than the uglieness the factory is turning out these days. There is something about those side strakes that just screams Ferrari. There is no mistaking the 348 is a Ferrari. Yeah it's now over 15 years old, but it's still COOL!!! No it doesn't have the performance of the modern cars, but it is still fast enough.

So maybe the 348 will never be an "Oscar" winning "classic" Ferrari. But it will always be a very fun and simple example of a Ferrari to own. In the hearts of those that own and like them the 348 will always be a "cult classic". It will always be looked at as a fun and entertaining Ferrari.

22. Harold

Harold F1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2004
    Singapore/Australia
    Just went for a drive this morning, challenge exhaust screaming with the assistance of tubi tests, windows down.... and the sweetest music one can ever hear.... guess what. I dont give two hoots whether or not the 348 is ever a classic in the Ferrari sense... I had a great ride, and I've got a grin on my face right now... doesn't ever need to be a classic so long as it makes me feel this way....

23. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As a new member of the Brotherhood I, of course, think the 348 will become a classic. They aren't terribly easy to find any longer. This year they went up in value.

24. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    well said! I bought a 348 spider because it's Classical to me - prices can plummet, synchro's could fall apart - and I'd still love it. The last hint of older ferrari technology with just enough new stuff to be "right", and the first full spider in a V8.

25. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    All Ferraris are classic in their own right they dont always bear comparison the design and technology is different model to model but they are always Ferrari