Do you valet your car ? | FerrariChat

Do you valet your car ?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by legendd, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    I live in Los Angeles where everywhere you go, you park your car with valet.
    Any locals with some advice ?
    Do I tip and ask to park it in front or do I let them park it for me ?

Thank you for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Do not let a valet near your Ferrari !
    If you are going to a place where there is no other option, take another car or Uber.
    Ferrari’s are for driving not showing off via a valet and big tip to park it up front or...

sparetireless, Jaguar36 and legendd like this.
  3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Im in LA and never let the valets touch the car. As long as you pay the parking rate and tip, most places will let you self park and often will move other cars so you can park in front.

I dont care what car im driving, i never let the valet park my car anymore. Ive had stuff stolen out of my car and cars damaged and getting them to accept any responsibility is almost impossible. On top of that, depending on what im driving that day, fewer and fewer know how to drive a manual transmission.

F2003-GA, darth550 and legendd like this.
  4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Ritz Carlton Valet Tore the reverse lever out, $4500

they paid quick, I recommend them.

the 360 F1 is simply too hard for a valet to drive, and the design of the reverse lever is insane.

Testarossa Sean likes this.
  5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I think I've used a car valet 3-4 times in my whole life and that was for a cheaper daily driver. Never for my "special" car.

6. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    It’s a car. Drive it. Don’t be a girly man. If you spend your time worrying about it, you can’t afford it.

TTR likes this.
  7. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    That's got to be one of the stupidest things I've read on here.

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree with the first 1/2 though.

9. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    So what I conclude is, drive your car and enjoy it.
    Ask the valet to park it yourself and keep the keys.
    If they have no issues with that, that's great.
    If not, let them park it and move on.
    The point of buying this car is enjoying it without worrying about every little thing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LorenzoOO likes this.
  10. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I do too but emphasis on YOU drive YOUR car. Don't let strangers do so, especially when that entails close parking.

Saying that you can't afford a car because you worry about valets damaging it is quite silly.

legendd likes this.
  11. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yeah, I’ve valet 2 times as a last resort. I don’t like it. When the valet moved the Ferrari there was the water run off and it’s like he was afraid to give it gas to go up it. After that, no more valet. I just tell them I’ll pay and self park it.

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    We’re all on this earth a short time. Enjoy your life. If a ding or a scratch on your car causes you to have a stress crisis you need therapy.

F2003-GA, TTR and Testarossa Sean like this.
  13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just look at the cars that the valets own. They're usually the ones parked on the street in front of the fancy place conveniently at the meter that's free after 8:00pm or whatever. I and way too many others have been victimized of theft, damage, personal info stolen, car used as a taxi, etc. I am completely against it entirely. In the event that they will not let me self park, I will most likely leave and never return to the establishment. In the event I'm on a date, I'll always uber so I can drink and not have to worry.

14. MAXF430

MAXF430 Karting

Nov 16, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joey
    After curbing my wheels many times I never let valet park my car. I self-park in the valet, pay, and tip them. If the valet has an issue with that I’ll go to the self-parking or go to another venue. If you’re kind to the valet they’ll let you self-park in the valet almost all of the time and actually keep an eye on your car.

15. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I was parking in La Jolla on a date. The valet at Eddie V's at first didn't want to let me park it (literally in the spot right in front of me). I told him there was no way and I'm dropping him a 20. He still had some resistance. I said "look man, you wouldn't be able to even start it if you tried...." (carbed Gt4 wait 15sec, pump twice turn and hold technique). He gave in and said can you at least leave me the keys? Fortunately for me, i have a re-pro set because the original "dino" key chain is so rare that I've seen them with a sale price of a couple K.....

16. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Dude was probably confused at what a carb is and what you meant by “pump twice” lol

Testarossa Lover likes this.
  18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I only valet my own Ferrari , “Self Park” :D

19. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I dont let my wife drive them and i sleep with her. Why would i let a valet?

Yes its just a car but i have to deal with the aftermath if it goes wrong. Ive had bad experiences with valets and daily driver cars that i wouldnt trust them. That being said i have never come across one that wouldnt let me self park and often them move cars for me.

Testarossa Sean likes this.
  20. As a former valet myself, I would never valet a car I'm driving. Maybe a rental. Maybe.

21. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    If I can't self park in a valet spot, I leave and never come back.

The guy in front of Eddie V's pulled the same thing on me as previously mentioned but let me park after I used my line.

Have you driven one of these with a Race Clutch that cost $10K before? They will immediately say no. I quickly ask where would you like me to pull in? If this fails, I leave.

I have not been to Javier's Newport Coast in years because of it.

On a fun note, I love going to Mastros Newport Coast, they know me so when I pull in, Valet usually moves a Lambo or a Rolls so I can take their prime spot. :)

Prancinghorse619 likes this.
  22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I pay the Valet well and pick my own spot and self park
    Usually I get the closet to entry spot - Never had a problem