Do you want one tech section or tech for each model range? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you want one tech section or tech for each model range?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rob lay, Apr 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you want one tech section or tech for each model range?

1. As is.

2. Tech section under each Vintage, Classic, Modern, Super Ferraris.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    and... you didn't go over!

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I'd very much like to see it as-is.

Altho I'm mostly interested in 308/328 series, there are often topics relating to other models that have definite carry-over value to us V8 guys. For example, on the 'old' board, there was a thread on sync'ing the carbs on a Daytona. You can bet that ALL the carb V8 guys read that one. If you divided the board, we probably would have missed it.

Also, what would you do about all the various generic tech threads such as motor and gear oil, etc.?

Hans.

3. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    How about a solution that satisfies both the desire to see all the postings in one and the need to split the forums up ;)

My idea would be to have a "Show New Posts" option for each main forum grouping, or allow the user to select which forums they wanted to show under the current "New Posts" option. I haven't looked too closely at this version of vBulletin but it shouldn't be too hard to do if past versions are anything to go by.

I currently use New Posts as my main way of viewing the board, but, as this is limited to the first 250, it fills up pretty quickly with stuff I don't want to read. If I don't check the board at least 3 times a day I have to navigate through the forums I'm interested in, and bypass those that may have less interest, risking missing a valuable post that has been made in another forum.

If more forums are added then browsing them takes longer, and I know from experience that I will not look at all the forums that may have posts of interest or questions that I may be able to help with. If everyone did the same then the board will lose a lot of potentially valuable input :(

4. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I vote to keep it as it is. Many people are interested in models other then what they own. Also, by splitting it we will lose valuable input from many knowledgeable members. It's really not too big to deal with. As a matter of fact it's very interesting to scan the post of other models to see whats up with them. You never know what your next F Car will be. Right Jerry?

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Thanks, Hans, great example. Here's how I see it...

First, some of you "I only read Technical" guys may not realize it, but you're already missing a bunch of great technical threads... posted over in GFD. But don't go looking right now... in the next couple days they'll be over in the model-specific forums. For example, by far the meatiest tech threads on the 360 and the Stradale have occurred in GFD, not Technical... and are now in Modern.

With the new Model-Specific Forums, I expect this to happen even more.

Soooo, let's look at your example...

IF you want to catch all the 308/328 Technical threads, plus any other Technical threads that might have some bearing,
    THEN you'll want to follow Classic and Technical. In Classic you'll get all the 308/328-specific threads. In Technical, you'll get all the generic Technical stuff that you mention. Furthermore, when that more broadly interesting post on Daytonas occurred in the Vintage section, one of your fellow Techies would have recognized it is applicable to other Techies, and would have posted a note to Technical with a pointer to the thread in Vintage. Similarly, when you see a 3x8 Technical post applicable to Vintage or Modern people, you post a link to it to Technical for the rest of your Techie buddies.

Now you spend much less time and miss far fewer interesting posts!!
    Win-win.

So, in the end I agree: let's keep Technical as one forum.
    But I differ a bit in that I expect to see much of the good technical content to be in the Model-Specific Forums. But that's good for you guys... because it was in GFD, where many of you weren't ever seeing it.

6. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I wouldn't split it up. But maybe you could have a check list on the new thread page with all the models and you pick your model which would then appear in front of the title on the tech. page and may be have an option on the tech. page to allow you to sort by model.

Just a thought

Lou

7. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This place is gowing leaps and bounds isnt it? This discussion reminds me so much of work. Land use planning, The No Growths, the builders/planners and those who dont care.

You cant stop growth just put your spin on it is all.

I suggest some splitting as it is probly necessary from a management point of view.

I would have liked to have seen a 308/328 label with the recent updates; only makes sense cuz of the high production numbers.

The 6,8 12 split makes sense tho more.

Cant we do searches? If you really want to find something usefull you can.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Amen to this, I have and will end up making the site best for several different styles. Sometimes if you do this too much then everything gets mucked up and no one is happy. If there's a way to please everyone, I will.

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I change my vote....let's go back to the way it was.

10. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Brian: Agree fully.

I just "discovered" the 308-centric General area and have started following it. It reminds me of the good ole days when F-Chat was young. Same overall feel to it. Homey, humorous, non-confrontational, interesting, informative.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal