Do you wish Hip-Hop had different music? | FerrariChat

Do you wish Hip-Hop had different music?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have always liked new music crazes as they came about since the late sixties. I listen to everything from Pink Floyd to Avril L with the ten year-old and like it all. With that said, I HATE rap and it looks like the top 'artists' (and I use that term VERY lightly) will be around longer than disco and other music types we have seen in the last thirty years. I feel that Rap has done more harm to american culture than any other music fad in our lifetime....Am I being an 'old geezer' here?

2. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Sort of, rap has lasted longer than Disco i can tell you that b/c it started when disco started as well. The songs arent very good i agree, just take comfort that when rap fades out that the artists will not have any money b/c they spent it all on limos, posse, bling, houses, hoes and what not

3. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Define 'old geezer'. Would you say that Ben Stein,Ferris Bueller's Day Off 'Bueller, Bueller' guy, is an 'old geezer' ?
    (It's a loaded question.)

I am not a big rap/hip-hop fan. I have not liked anything in that genre since House of Pain.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like rap, but I do agree with you. It's not entirely responisble, but it's a part of it.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I do not know, go buy "The chronic" and see if you do not like it. I love it. But I am now getting a little 'old' in my tastes too. (The chronic is now like 11 years old)

Tupac had wonderful great songs. DMX in his early years as well.

Rap evolves. Look at the late 80s 'happy rap' to the early gangsta rap of the 90s, to today with bling and mainstream pop rap/r&b.

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Indeed it has. I'm with Peter on this one, and really have a distaste for it. Of course, there was Anthrax & Public Enemy - I'm the Man. Damn, what a great song/era for both of them. Now, it is less of an escape and more about "getting real", "keeping it real", or "being real" whatever that might mean.

I really must say, 'what goes in, comes out' in terms of thoughts/music/productivity. If you listen to negativity, it will breed negativity.

7. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yea early 90s rap was very good, especially old Dre and Snoop Tupac is awesome to this day, it was real rap. Not what it is today where all they talk about are a$$es, Benzs with 24s, Crystal, and various sexual acts.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have memorized The Chronic and Snoop's Doggystyle CDs entirely, as well as most songs off of DMX's "Its Dark and Hell is Hot" CD.

I wish there were CD's like that today that I could listen to (rap). Sadly, nothing compares.

Side note in Highschool I lost nearly all use of the English language though. My friends even laughed how poorly I could express myself. I was basically screwed for the writing SAT (where they ask you to find grammar errors) since I could not find anything wrong. :rolleyes:

I sat down one day with a grammar book, and after a few hours, fixed my problem, and managed to beat most on the writing exam..much to their (and my own) shock. I still have a few 'hang overs' in my writing style, but what can you do.

9. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    When i lived in NY for the first 14 yrs of my life, DMX grew up in the town next to me, Yonkers/Mt. Vernon. Both have some shady places, and are mentioned alot in east coast rappers songs.

10. Murcielago03

Murcielago03 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Shaan
    Rap today is GARBAGE!!! Its all commercial...And I've been listening to this genre for 10 years F*ck Ludacris, Nelly, 50 Cent and G-Unit, Jay-Z...all poison for your ears and a negative influence for children. Its sad that no major artists today still try to preserve the essance of which it was founded on. And its also sad that everyone thinks rap is trash because of what they hear on the radio. Rap is still takin seriously but those who do take it serious arent played on radio because their songs are not commercial enough or they're not talkin about girls,cars,jewels, livin large...etc. I would advise people to listen all varities of rap before making a conclusion about it. Here are some artists worth listening to:

1. The Roots
    2. Common
    3. Gangstarr
    4. Ras Kass
    5. Kool Keith
    6. Kool G. Rap
    7. Big L
    8.MF Doom
    9. Nas (Illmatic album only)
    10. Tupac
    11. Sticky Fingaz

I'll post songs worth downloading that I hope would change your opinion on the genre.

11. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    There is still bad-ass rap out there, but the mainstream ($$$) has gone the way of, as mentioned, trying to prove to the world how hard or real you are. The new pack of rappers including stuff like G-Unit are getting a little too far gone for my tastes, but I keep my ears to the pavement for new talent and in the mean time keep bumping Tupac, Dre, Tribe, Blackstar, Atmosphere, Bone Thugs, Del the Funky Homosapien, Cube, and Dead Prez.

The thing about rap is, I believe anyone with something good to say is going to be dealing with how jacked up race relations are in this country. If you're squeamish about that, you're kinda stuck with the bling, hoez, and killing people.

12. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Ah I miss the days of good rap and R&B. Now I listen to mostly alt/rock and Techno.

13. gentry

gentry Guest

I like hip-hop, but not all of it. I get a little tired of the current fad of 48 bars of wheel sizes, how many diamonds they have, oh, and wheel sizes.

I prefer artists like Mos Def who is a lyricist. Some things he says aren't popular, but it is done metaphorically rather than just to say it.

I do like the music (beats) more than the lyrics most of the time.

14. Murcielago03

Murcielago03 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Shaan
    To know everything you wanted to know about the politics of rap and how fake it is download "Music of the business" by Ras Kass

"A record deal is just a loan with a F*cked up interest rate..."

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    boop boop BOOP! boop boop BOOP! (keep that beat...) "Mary had, a little lamb,her fleece was white as SNOW. Everywhere that Mary went,the lamb was sure to GO!..." ....boop boop BOOP! boop boop BOOP! (keep that beat going...)..."Old Mother Hubbard,went to the cupboard,to get her poor dog a BONE.When she got there,the cupboard was bare,and the poor dog had NONE!...." .....boop boop BOOP! boop boop BOOP!..............................Yo,Yo,Yo,(Yawn!!!!) and so on,and so on,and so on,and............ And,for that,I got a "Crib". A Lambo. A Bentley. And so on,and so on,and..........:)

16. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    they still make "rap"?

luckily the places i go to don't play it.

personally, i only listen to 80's music, One Night In Bangkok.... aaaah, Tainted Love... oooh. :D

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    This household hates bad rap.

I've supplied my gals' son with:
    advice, critique (I'm a tough critic - no pu**yfooting)
    books, music
    3 keyboards, 2 guitars, drum
    computer, software
    mike, mixing board, amp
    supported in his LACC Music Programs
    so on and so forth

So he can create better Hip-Hop Music than has been, and is out there. Period.

After trial and error, false starts and true epiphanies, he's got GREAT stuff others will hear when he's ready to declare "it is finished." Takes time to get every song right, so... patience is a virtue.

Hopefully, people will be as "influenced" by him as they are by Tupac and Mos Def.