Do you work on your own Ferrari / Exotic? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you work on your own Ferrari / Exotic?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by -FROG-, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    One cannot own a working Europa without doing their own work. For you shy types, I knew this when I bought the car 3 years ago and figured it would be a 'train as I go' deal. Granted it's a simple car compared to even a 308, but for someone like me it was still a head scratcher at times. Fortunately there is a lot of support from the Yahoo Europa group, and Bob Campan from here was kind enough to show me how to time an engine at his house. I have since done the brakes (replaced the mc), thermostat, various electrical, electronic ignition...

I now do all my own work, but if the engine ever needed a rebuild I would consider letting a pro do it. A Lotus TC engine is similar to a Ferrari engine in that it doesn't forgive mistakes from a shoddy or inexperienced mechanic.

Ken

2. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I've done much of the suspension and engine work on my MGBs, past Jeeps, and friends' cars/trucks, but I am scared to touch the Ferraris. I don't even want to think about messing something up and then how much more it would be to fix after the fact.

If you guys know of a mechanic in the NY area that would be willing to let me help when they do the work on my car, I would LOVE to know.

David