Documentary - "The Flying Wing – What Happened To It?" | FerrariChat

Documentary - "The Flying Wing – What Happened To It?"

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Wade, Jun 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Here's an interesting 30 minute video from 1979 with interviews of Jack Northrop, along with Max Stanley (retired Northrup test pilot, Robert L. Cardenas (retired Airforce General and test pilot), Russ Schleeh (retired Airforce Colonel and test pilot), Hugo Pink (of Northrup Aircraft), D.G. McNeal (also of Northrup Aircraft), and Richard Millar (former Chairman of the Board, Northrup).

Maybe a repost, I searched but couldn't find anything.

https://silodrome.com/documentary-the-flying-wing-what-happened-to-it/

2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Thanks for posting that, I was unaware of the history behind it. I was amused by this quote that the B-49 "Was somewhat deficient in lateral stability". I sincerely hope that Jack Northrop was aware of the development of the the B-2 before he died.

I do understand Symington's concern about having another large aircraft manufacture for the Air Force to manage. Even today, with just 3 major manufactures, the Air Force struggles to maintain them. Seems like he took a very heavy handed approach to the matter though.

I wonder if the B-49 had gone intro production if it would have prevented the B-52 from happening, despite the B-52 being so much larger.

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    He was given a clearance and saw a scale model from his wheelchair. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Northrop

Jaguar36 likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At least one XB-49 should have been retained for some years to do test flying, as was done with the XB-70.

JCR likes this.
  5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    What's old is new again...

6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I think they were all scrapped or destroyed.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They were YB-49's,

They were all converted YB-35's (propeller version).

SecDef ordered all but one scrapped, it was scrapped several years later.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I was lucky enough to meet Jack a few months before his passing at a group gathering in his honor. He repeated this story to the people there almost word for word. Someone should make movie about this story as it seems incredible. Something like Tucker.

Jack said that the plane had some stability control issues in bombing tests but he felt the technology existed to correct it. He also spoke of the accident of the YB-49 saying it was due to the AF trying to push the plane beyond its parameters.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Spin testing something without a tail and marginal stability was silly, but USAF insisted. They spin tested the F-111 once, as an example of another unnecessary spin test, and lost the aircraft.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Today computer simulations would have proven what would have happened. In those days, it was the test pilot and his ass in the seat.