Dodge Challenger Hellcat quarter mile under 10 seconds | FerrariChat

Dodge Challenger Hellcat quarter mile under 10 seconds

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Jo Sta7, Dec 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #1 Jo Sta7, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Very impressed, being a Challenger 392 owner, I'm interested in seeing what is next for the Hellcat production. I've heard a few thinks like a Widebody or Turbos. Time Will tell.

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    impressive car...but I still don't understand the tires on the hellcat. seem to be disproportional to the car's capabilities. skinny tires on a 700+ hp car? don't get it.

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Design of the car does not allow for larger rubber without massive redesign. I just run Nitto 555R drag radials. I ran 10.7 with mine.

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How do you like it? I'm considering picking one up in the spring.

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    You did not ask me but I own a Hell Cat plus other cars so I hope you do not mind if I respond.

A poster on this website called it a one trick pony and I guess that is true but I would add what a trick!

It has a long wheel base so it does not drive like a sports car. I drives like a modern sedan with with a strong suspension.

The car makes every thing else I own feel slow. The power and acceleration have to be experienced to be believed! The car makes my gen 5 Viper feel under powered.

The exhaust sound of the car is awesome. I would buy the car just for the sound.

I bought a manual transmission car and it is smooth with a world class, modern feeling and perfect knotchy -ness. The automatic is quicker but that has been a fact for most automatics for a long time.

Some one posted the 2015s gave some problems but the 2016s are okay. My 2016 has been perfect so far and I expect it to be that way for quite a while.

The handling is modern sedan so if you expect sports car you will be disapointed.

The car is heavy but the power and modern suspension make the car feel and drive well.

Enjoy your car

Lee

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Of course I do not mind, I appreciate all insight. The car has really caught my eye this past few months. I'm thinking of picking up a 2017 early next year. I'm looking for a new sedan in Pittsburgh. I have an 2016 s550 for here but for something radically different I was thinking Hellcat. Even if I tire of it in a year it would be much more fun for at least a little while! I was so impressed with the Volvo XC90 that I recently bought that I don't really think I need the luxury of the S class for a sedan and would rather have a loud, fast and obnoxious sedan. I need to test drive one though when the weather breaks to be sure.

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I spent some time in a 3000 mile '16 this week. Black metallic with Brass Monkey wheels & automatic.

I am a g i a n t Mopar fan since childhood with a wheel standing Dart dragcar and Ram tow rig in my current arsenal. So I certainly wanted to luv-luv the Hellcat Challenger.

1st off the biggest noticeable detail was how damn long the Hellcat hood was from the command center seat. It was nearly worth the price of admission alone! Then the car sounds terrific. Some value found there. But the dash is a tad underwhelming. Cool enough gauges placed right in front of the driver (remind me of a 1967 Charger dash that I restored) but the center stack and the infotainment screen are just not my style. I have a RennTech S-Class for a daily and panels like that are fine in that, but in a muscle car I don't want any BS digital data flat brimmed-hat fan boy crap. And that is what that center stack is.

Anyhow driving it is exactly what is posted above. It feels like a well set & planted touring coupe. Happy with that I jumped on the throttle & enjoyed it. Power was nice ~ but not really what I expected. I had owners telling me "this car is too fast for the street" - "It should not be allowed!" I however felt that it was 100% tamed in any configuration no matter the silly driver selection button settings or manor in which I drove it. Sure it would lay waste to a lot of street machines, but its still safe for public consumption in my eyes.

My Son (who knew I wanted any fast Mopar) said "So dad you really want one!?" And I said (after the extended drive time) "Well, I like it, but I want one a little less now"

FWIW... One of my pals (70 years old) has a Hellcat Charger. He puts small slicks on it at the drag strip and leaves on the brake for consistent 10.9's till he packs up & goes home. Fun.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When I drive one in the spring I'll report my thoughts. Thanks to anyone for any input.