Dodge Challenger SRT8 6 speed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dodge Challenger SRT8 6 speed

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by parkerfe, Aug 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Don't follow, have you seen a '69 Camaro? They share many styling elements.

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    For me it's:
    Camaro
    Challenger
    Mustang

Camaro has the best overall platform and best engines.
    Challenger looks the best, just is much to big.
    Mustang looks better for '10 minus the back, just has an old school chassis still.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#28 Kds, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    Armen......

I haven't driven a Challenger yet but am trying to get hooked up to do so. It would be the one I'd buy just for sentimental reasons, as well as looks. I love the way it reminds me of my old 440-6 Pak car. Kinda like to get one and put the Chrysler 528 ci Hemi crate engine in it.....

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks.html

I have rented a lot of V6 Mustangs in my travels as of late and really like the overall car insofar as noise, vibration and harshness goes. They really put the package together well. Haven't tried a V8 GT variant yet.......

The Camaro is just so fugly I wouldn't even look at a used one.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While the new Challenger, Camaro and Mustang are all big by modern compact car standards, they are still smaller than the original cars...

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You replacing the MS3?

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #31 SSNISTR, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    I hope your joking....The new ones are all bigger.

There was a '70 Challenger parked next to a '09 at a car show last week. The new car was like 12/10 it's size or more.

7. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If you want a cool Challenger look into the Hurst editions. I like them alot. And you can get a supercharger.

8. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

The Challenger looks as big to me as an old one, maybe taller and not as wide. It's definitely as large (but heavier) as my 70 Chevelle - another big 2 door car from the glory days. Its fun to see the Chevelle parked next to my 4 door Acura TL. It was MUCH larger. I cannot believe they made 2 door coupes so big at one time. Those proportions seem similar in the Dodge.

The Challenger is a cool as hell car, but it is a slug and heavy. You're only going to be able to make a car that big and heavy handle only so well, though. I just love the sound of it with the cats cut out. I think what most people forget is it's a muscle car: loud, big engine, lots of hp and meant to go in a straight line and burn lots of rubber.

The Camaro and Mustang have different vocations. They did then and they still do today.

RMX

9. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #34 SSNISTR, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When they are side by side you can really tell how much bigger the new car is. Width is close, but the new car is much higher and has very big doors. Just doesn't look "tidy". These aren't the best pics, but it gives you an idea. Look at the roof and doors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. humps2120

humps2120 Karting

Feb 19, 2007
    Waterloo
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    When my brother took delivery of his challenger, he didn't realize the size of it until we parked it in our garage. It takes up more room than our mom's grand caravan. It is extremely comfortable and roomy and has been excellent so far.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    No, I would continue to use my MS3 as my daily commute car...

12. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Frank,

The new cars dwarf the originals. Having owned a 68 Firebird [close enought to a Camaro] the new ones to me appear to be huge. IMHO the new Challenger/Camaro turned out to be missed opportunity in the area of styling .

Ciao,
    George

13. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #38 ForzaV12, Aug 10, 2009
    Of course, the new ones are quite a bit larger than the originals. The exception being the Mustang-larger than the first editions, not so much if you include the 71-73s.

Here is another comparison pic between the new and old that I snapped during the Edmund's comparo of my car and the new one. Even though the new Challenger is rather portly, 174mph out of the box isn't too shabby.

14. scuderia2008

scuderia2008 Rookie

Aug 31, 2008
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Rob
  15. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
  16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    True

True

WOW I am in love !

17. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    I went to their open house today but forgot my camera, otherwise I would have better photos to show. The ones on their website don't do any justice to the car.

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I would have to say after reading the review on the cars in the Mags.... I wouldn't say that the camaro has the best platform if platform is pertaining to chassis. It barely finished first with 100 more horsepower around a track. The mustang has a very good chassis set up from the factory. That being said... i would take the camaro in a heartbeat :) I think its very cool, plus if any of you know anything about the ls_ motors... 600 hp is easy and cheap... and please don't waste your money with hennesy or lingenfelter... they are a joke for the money.

I think Dodge did it best though. I love the new SRT8 in black... sinister... when that thing is behind you all you think of is the movie bullet... it just has that weird look when its behind you... its like whoever it is is trying to follow you. (yes I have seen the movie bullet... and everyone refers to the bullet car as the mustang but the car chasing him was a mopar... )

19. REMIX

The chase car was a 1968 Charger.... :D

RMX

20. REMIX

#45 REMIX, Aug 13, 2009
  21. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    SSNISTR, As for the looks, I can easily see the Camaro connection, but the new Camaro is HUGE compared to the first gen Camaro that its looks are cued to. Its size is even larger than the '70 Chevelle, but at least it's closer to the Chevelle in size. I would rather that the new Camaro be 90% of its current size. Also, I have no complaint as to how it looks on the road; it is an eye catcher, but the interior doesn't do the car justice.

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I agree and wish it were smaller too, but at least they got the proportions right unlike the last abomination of a camaro. Its size is large, but I don't blame them. People forget that we had alot of great coupes for sale in the US but every single one of them died due to lack of sales. America does not like small coupes. There are only a few coupes that made it, most have made it due to there niche market. The camaro being a decent size and able to hold averaged size people in the back is a huge selling point, and thats what this is all about. I agree about the interior, however... it is GM... there interiors do suck... and lets face it... the interior could be much much much much worse.

23. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #48 SSNISTR, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    All the new muscle cars are larger then the old ones. Just how it is. I think the Camaros interior is by far the best of the three, the seats look and feel great and it had many '69 cues. I just don't like the radio area. The Mustang is not far behind. The Challengers however was taken right from the Charger/300 and does not fit the car at all except for the pistol grip shifter. I'm just glad the big three are putting an effort into these cars and letting the big SUV craze die. I sure won't miss seeing big, ugly Navigators and such on the road.

24. soccerjunky

soccerjunky Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    #49 soccerjunky, Aug 28, 2009
  25. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#50 Kds, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
    Soccerjunky......

What a difference lowering makes to the broad slab sided look of the car when it is at the OEM ride height. It's night and day IMHO. How'd you do it ? A simple spring replacement, suspension adjustments, or both ?

REMIX.......

Geez Tony.....if only I could I'd buy you a beer right now. That pic of the 1968 Charger R/T you posted made me smile. My Charger R/T that I owned some 30 years ago was the same year, dark green in color (almost black) and I put the A12 option hood scoop on it and painted the hood black, just like that photo.