Dodge Viper GTS | FerrariChat

Dodge Viper GTS

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 355dreamer, May 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Does anyone own an early Viper GTS? Can you provide some driving impressions, things to look for when buying, years to avoid, and pricing opinions please?

I have been thinking of adding another fun car, and for less than 40k, these look like a no brainer...

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    1996 was the launch year, any color you like, as long as it was Blue/White. All years have 450 hp and all are very robust - the car gets slightly more civilized each year. By 2001-2 it had ABS, electric adjusting mirros and remote hatch release - none of these were on the early cars. Forged pistons ended in 1999 or 2000 I think, but the later pistons have held up fine even with a supercharger in my 2001.

I think the 1996 may be the most long-term valuable, but I did not like the little detail problems with mine, such as weatherstrip that fell apart and trim that wore out adjacent to seat belt buckle, but that is all detail stuff.

My 2001 has been flawless and IMO is better looking than the GEN 3 cars (20030-7).

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    96-99 cars are the ones to have. Particularly the 97s as they had a slightly rowdier cam.

avoid 2000s. They should be the cheapest. They are known as creampuffs because they got the hyper-pathetic pistons and missed out on abs.

98s had a goofy recall on the front subframe... make sure that wasn't hacked.
    If you you aren't going to mod the car and aren't a person who enjoys a crude car... go for an 2001 and up since the other cars will bite your head off and when they do you won't have abs to stop it. IF you haven't owned a car without abs in a long time, you forget what its like to not have it. It takes much more from the driver.

I prefer, and personally would only do a 96-99. The 98s got a little nicer with a textured dash as well as 99s got updated interior trim for the door handles window switchers were no longer from a neon... or maybe they were from a new neon... who knows... interior wise the 99s are the nicest of the rowdy cars. Each year is really color dependent so it depends on what color you want. Blacks are very tough to come by an typically bring a little more.

06s are much much much nicer cars. they are probably 20 degrees cooler inside and the pedals wont melt the sole of your shoe. The brakes will pull your eyes out of your socket. but the car is a little slower id say. Personally... id stick with the 96-99s

to me the 97 is the one to have. Best pistons, best cam, and the worst emissions system ever... you can pull the cats off the car which make the car much faster, as well as 20 degrees cooler in the cabin, and get this... the car will not throw an emissions light... so that means that it is pretty much impossible for a 97 to fail emissions. Also, you will pass visual inspection because the cats are hidden behind the side sills. speaking of which do not damage these sills... they are like 3k...

hope that helps

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Had one for over 3 years.. a 2000 cream puff, as they say.. but still fast.. real fast... solid built.. never had one problem..

Just changed the oil that was it..

I only lost control once.. Into oncoming traffic.. But my expert skillzz pulled me out.. (actually blind luck)

Nice car buy one..

If you want ruffer (?) feeling 96-99. Nicer quieter. 2000-up..

But they are right above.. If you go 2000+ go 2001 for abs..

5. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I agree that ABS is "safer", but if someone wants to track the car, or is used to and likes non-ABS cars the pre-ABS Vipers are cool as heck. I love how non-ABS cars have a much better braking "feel", but yes, it takes some skill to master them.

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #6 kverges, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    A little-known fact is that the ABS cars got different rear calipers that improves the front/rear brake bias. IMO the "feel" is better in an ABS car, since there is more rear bias. The earlier cars lock the fronts more easily than the later cars will trigger ABS. The 2001-02 brakes are the best in every way as far as I am concerned.

As for the much-maligned hypereutectic pistons, like I said, I own a 2001 that has been supercharged for at least 6 years or so with about 600 rwhp and will pull 130 mph in the 1/4 on street tires, so the pistons are fine by me.

But the consensus is that they are all excellent cars - in the $40K range you may need to go higher mileage, but that is no problem, either.

IMO the Gen I & II Vipers are destined to be classics and have the bonus of being very easy and inexpensive to maintain except for body parts. Side sills are horribly expensive and the hood is even worse (probaby over $15K for a hood now).

A very visceral experience that is quintessentially American and exotic at the same time.

You need to know how to drive, however, as this car does not coddle fools - anecdotally I bet more Vipers have been wrecked on the owner's first drive than any other car

7. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I pulled out of the dealership, and floored it.. My Ferrari didn't do the same thing when I floored it...

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    the part on the drive home is actually a fact.

The hood has a wholesale price of over 19k... my buddy had to buy one for his ACR about 3 years ago and worked at the dodge store!!!!

I agree with you regarding the brake issue... Many people say that the abs cars don't have as good of feel... but thats a crock that people GENERALLY say when they actually haven't experienced it. People think that ABS actually changes the pedal feel... it really doesn't. It does when its working... but otherwise they are pretty damn close. The reason why they are close in feel??? well, because a group of engineers did everything they could to get the best pedal feel when they designed the car originally and then also when they added abs.

As far as the hyper pistons... 600rwhp is no big deal for those pistons and if thats the power level you want... no probs... if you think you wanna get closer to 900hp you will want the forged units.

But to be honest... the stock engine with headers exhaust and rockers is more than enough to kill yourself as well as beat ANY other car on the road this side of a million dollar veyron or enzo... bring on a 599... a turbo... a gt2... it doesn't matter... they will be in the rearview mirror.

Also, the number one upgrade when you first get the car is put Kumho V710s on it any of the sticky kumhos in fact. Best upgrade by far and they get the car to hook and do pretty well in the rain.

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I never took a test drive. Ordered mine from Woodbridge and when it arrived I took it for a spin.

Within 5 minutes I had spun out in the middle of the street. Luckily it was a Sunday and traffic was light.

What a beast. My fav car.

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I haven't driven both kinds of Vipers, but I have driven many non-ABS cars. Some were truly a track only car too. A non-ABS car offers better feel, no doubt. Hence why many race cars do not have ABS. I can't speak for Vipers, but overall I can. And non-ABS just "feels" better. Anyone who doesn't agree IMO hasn't driven enough performance cars without ABS.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #11 rob lay, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a friend with a 1996, great looking car. I have only driven it once, impressed me how raw it was, felt like you were in a fighter cockpit when driving.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    rt/10 before 1997 had 400 hp.
    gts 1996 and later had 450 hp.
    ed

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Id have to say I completely disagree... and thats ok.

We are talking about something subjective.

For that matter throw out power brakes then too! I loved my lotus!

Also, most people will be faster with ABS.

Also, abs is banned in many serious forms of motorsport... its not a feel thing

14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    America's Forty!

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Just FYI, the pic Rob posted is an RT/10, not GTS. 1996 was a sort of bridge year for RT/10 with rear exhaust and interior parts from GTS, but it did not get the 450 hp engine. Also GTS had new hood with functional NACA duct for air intake

And no GTS's other than short commemorative run of cars after Le Mans win have wings.

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    also, the chassis were very different.

People have sworn off vipers after driving a GEN1 car (cars up to 96 RT/10s) once they drove a gen 2 car... they were sold. Gen2 cars are 96-02 GTSs and 97-02 RT-10s

17. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    I hate to gum up the works but can we talk a little gen III?

Are the any more forgiving then a gen II? Ive also heard is considerably more refined etc...

can anyone speak to this?

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    gen 3, buy only the 600 hp version not the 505 hp version that started in 2003.
    ed

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I heard from someone who heard from a guy who knows a dude who said that his uncle saw on TV that

Viper has the #1 accident rate, followed closely by the Carrera GT.

20. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    It's cool. On my old spec Miata the feel w/o the ABS was so much better.
    And I too love not having power brakes, it is more work, but rewards the driver.
    Yes, most average drivers will be faster with ABS, most good driver will be faster without as it let's you trail brake deeper. Most ABS kicks in way too soon IMO.

21. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I didn't have a "voucher" when the '96 GTS was announced. I spotted it live at the auto show and had to have it. Called one of my customers(I am an automotive artist), Dan Fitzgerald and he hooked me up. The car was drop shipped to vegas and I drove it from there to laguna. A memorable drive to say the least. Folks were hanging out of their cars to wave and give thumbs up. The car drove fast and true and I was impressed with it's speed.
    Over the years I added headers, injectors, bigger radiator and brakes, gears and other mods performed at Claude Short Dodge. Car was brutally fast and I enjoyed laying waste to pompous fools in their new Turbo Porsches during track sessions. I loved that car and the only problem I ever had with it was havin the window seals replaced under warranty. Sold it to pick up another F-car years ago. I miss it.

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ive owned both.

The GenIII is nice. I would never own the roadster... but thats just me.

I had an 06 black coupe which is somewhat rare.

I like the way the car looked. But not nearly as much as the original GTS. The body became much much more generic.

The car was more comfortable. The SEATS are KILLER. some of the best chairs I have sat in in my opinion. I really liked the sueded in the middle of the seat. The gear shift was nicer. The pedals were placed more in front of you (you get used to it in like 2 days on the GENII). The radio is infinitely better. The interior is cooler inside due to more insulation and slight rerouting of the exhaust. However you can still burn your leg since it exits at the side... but that burn is to be worn with viper pride. LOL. I live in AZ, and the AC is simply not up to the task. You had to keep the revs up at a stop in order for the ac to keep from breathing on you like a panting dog.

Performance... it was good. Allegedly more power than the GENII. I don't think it had as much as my 97. I do believe it has as much and possibly more than the 2001s and above. Since they have non forged pistons milder cams, and a little less aggressive overall. The car certainly feels slower than the gen 2 cars but that might be due to the refinement. The longer gearing also plays into effect. I can't remember but i think redline in first on the gen2 car is about 45-47mph... on the Gen3 car its 62mph. So you are doing much less work to break the speed-limit. LOL. The brakes were amazing on the Gen3 car. On the Gen 2 car, repeated slow downs from 140ish would find the pedal mushy, but to be honest, I never did anything about it and perhaps a fluid change could have help/cured it.

Overall... I regret selling the gen2 and wish I owned one today. I will get another, and I will keep it forever. To me the Gen 3 car is just another fast piece of transportation. The Z06 doesn it better... and I hate to say it. I love love love the viper... but when you soften the badass sports car... it loses the point... it gets lost in translation and doesn't quite make it into the keeper pile. Its a very good car... but other cars do it better. Nothing does brutal speed like a gen2 viper. NOTHING. The car handles SO damn well it has such high levels of grip, it communicates so well, and if you aren't listening its going to hit you in the ego with a baseball bat. Its a car that always demands respect and will always be remembered for exactly what it is. It is not supposed to be comfortable, it is not supposed to be refined. It is supposed to have brutal pace. It is as sophisticated as a hammer... but guess what nothing does a better job at hammering than a hammer... thats why it has been around for thousands of years... its a classic to be cherished for ages... just like the viper

(ok... i got a lil out of hand on the last part)

I do love the 08 vipers though. The extra power and chassis tuning has assured me that the spirit of the Gen2 car is back!

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #23 leead1, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
    I own a 2009 viper. This is the 600 hp version. Someone said the corvette does it better and I agree. The viper is close to the Z06 performance. The vette handles better, especially the 2008 and newer vettes.

I think the viper looks better and it is unique. My freinds call my ZR1 vette a "belly button" car meaning everybody owns one. That may be true but the ZR1 is a very well bult, refined and very fast car. I wish the handling was a little more taut, but still a good car.

Lee

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    i said the z06 does the gen 3 car thing better... but your gen 4 car in my opinion does it better than the z06. just my opinion

25. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have owned a 93 R/T, a 97 GTS and a 00 GTS. If I wanted one of them back, I'd take the 97.

PM me if you have any questions.

Steve