Does any Porsche have a back seat? | FerrariChat

Does any Porsche have a back seat?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Husker, May 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I was considering a "sport-ish" type car for my wife to knock around in some this summer. But she needs a backseat that can hold two car seats for the kiddos. Aren't there 911 varieties that have back seats? What about the Jaguar XKR? Others? I'm looking for something to buy at wholesale and drive free all summer.

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I believe all 911's have back seats - got a friend that puts car seats in his...

Also all XK's have back seats as well.

3. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Seats in the XKR are basically just there, I don't think you could even get a carseat in one. The 911 seems like it may have a little more room but not much. A CLK may have some more room, although not as sporty.

4. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I think the XKR coupe has more room than the convertible.

I too have went through this process in my mind recently, what 2+2 would be both fun and somewhat practical. If you are looking in the $30k-ish range there are many fun used cars you could find, just a few would be:
    Ferrari Mondial
    Ferrari 400/400i
    Jaguar XKR coupe
    Pontiac GTO (new)
    Ford Mustang (new)
    Porsche 911
    Porsche 928
    BMW M3
    M-B C32 AMG
    M-B CLK

Don't laugh about the GTO. 400hp/$33,000 is a pretty good ratio. I looked at a black/red one yesterday and was fully expecting to be unimpressed. It has a lot of plastic of course, but was nice in person. I would definitely take one over a Caddy CTS-V considering the $17k price difference. I haven't liked most of the new Mustangs I've seen, but if the upcoming GT500 looks anywhere near as good in the flesh as the pictures I will be in love.

5. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Every variety of the 911 except the GT3 and GT2 have backseats. Cars.com seems to claim that the 911 convertible seats 4 as well...

Anyway the rear seats are for kids age 13 and under. Once they hit their teenage growth spurt the backseats are 'useable' only by contortionists or someone who really wants a ride.

6. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    At a lower level compared to Porsches and Jaguars XKR, the Infiniti G35 and the Mazda RX-8 are 2+2 and a lot of fun. The suicide doors on the Mazda make it very good for children in car seats. You can pick either wholesale, both are way cheaper than a Porsche 911 and still have a decent performance.

7. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    Cayenne has a back seat , so does the GT2 and GT3 if u wanna ride shotgun on the spoiler

8. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I once sat in the back of a 911. Max 10minutes, then you start to get severe ceamps. For kids under 8 only.

9. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Try the 928GT or the newer 928GTS, you'll love the car. A forgotten Porsche.
    I sat on 928 back seats many times in college. Not as good as a 300CE (W124) Mercs but OK for a short trip, much better the the back seats of my roommate's 911 (964).

10. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    once did it to a girl in the back of a 911, not much room to move had to tell her to put her feet in the side pockets---lucky it was a convertible

11. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    You da' man...

12. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    If you simply must have a P-Car with a backseat, go with a 944, 968, or 928. They all have more backseat room than a 911, although IT CAN BE DONE in a 911!

I have had my 911 for a couple of years and let me tell you, the shape and size of the bottom cushion in the backseat of a 911 is not really conducive to the use of a carseat. If your heart is really set on a 911, I highly recommend taking your carseat with you and trying it out in the back of the car.

I have a younger cousin (just turned 5) who follows me everywhere. It was a real PITA to get him in and out of the car with the low, sloping roofline (even when he was much smaller) and it was just plain tight getting him back there (but it can be done). I constantly had to be careful not to bump his head. Once he was back there, the space was fine.

Ultimately, the only carseat that would fit satisfactorily in the backseat was this special one his mother used for him when they took a trip on a plane. So when you are looking, bring the carseat that you are going to use and your wife (assuming the car is for her) and see what works.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

P.S. - I seem to recall that Porsche produces special carseats for its cars, you might want to look into this...

13. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Buy a 911 cabrio. That is the only porsche I can think of that you might be able to get a baby seat in there. The RX-8 is good, but it being a rotary engine there is a lack of tourqe. The GTO would be a good buy, 400hp - 30+K.
    A new mustang might work. Buy a differant car used.

14. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    Get yourself a Maserati Coupe. You won't regret it. It's got nicely sized rear seats. The SC430/XK/911 have HORRIBLE back seats.

Or, do like my mom did, but a Cayenne Turbo!

15. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    #15 lukek, May 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, a Maserati works just fine. Women love it. Men pretend not to notice that it has 400hp - "But honey, I bought a family car !"
    Show her this pic:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I thought ALL road Porsches had a back seat except for the new Boxster?

17. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'd go for a refurbished 944. I think this car has extremely nice lines (OK, timeless) and is very fun to drive at a decent price point.

18. PapaiK

PapaiK Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I've ridden in the back seat of a 996 C2, its actualy not THAT bad, but obviously, it wouldnt be nice for a long trip. It's fine for kiddies.

19. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Are you sure with two toddlers your wife wants to work her way to the back seat with the kiddies? In a two door coupe like a 911 its really more suited to someone who is really an enthusiasts...

If it were for you, I'd say go for it...but for my better half? I wouldn't propose this as a great car...

Too much work to get them in and out...

Buy a 300C with a hemi and make her life easy. (unless she really wants and understands the compromises involved with using a 2 + 2 sport coupe for hauling around 2 toddlers)

JMO

20. de993

de993 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    As a mom of a 3 year old, I had this discussion with myself a while back. I have a 993. The front seat of the newer models have an airbag turn off switch, mine does not (1996). My choices were to have the airbag permanatly turned off or try for the back seat. I will tell you first hand, that baby seat ain't gonna fit in the back! And even if you are able to find one that fits, good luck getting the kid in and out of it.

My solution, I turned the 993 into a track car and bought an M5 for daily driving. Plenty of power, 4 doors, and a trunk. For a daily driver I love my M5.

21. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    6 series. My classic 6 has a usable and very comfortable seat. The new one should too (in theory)