Does anybody have a Vertu? | FerrariChat

Does anybody have a Vertu?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by enzoz, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Can anybody recommend them? Is the service really worth it?

Thanks.

2. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    My boss has a Vertu. I don't know if the service is worth it, but the phone's quality is exceptional. The materials and fit and finish are certainly jewel-like.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The main benefit is that they are unblocked (for international use). Phone-wise, they are pretty basic (no internet, etc).The cost lies in the fact that the phone comes in SS, gold or platinum. $5,200 for stainless up to $21,000 for platinum.

DL

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Maybe there site might have some more info about there service.

Vertu

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You really have to be lacking to spend that kind of dough on a throw away item.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I've seen these (someone I know had one), didn't pay much attention. Thought it was a nokia with some kind of "kit."

Are they GSM? If so, all 4 bands? Unless they've got satellite-phone kind of service and access, I don't see the point. I do agree that someone needs to make a phone that is *just* a phone and not going to start my car too.

--Dan

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    You mean spending tens of thousands of dollars on a cell phone won't bring me eternal happiness?

Well, will it at least impress the other members of F-Chat to ask about the phone? If not, what's the point?

8. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Why spend the money?

These phones are actually quite basic, and lack many (actually, most) of the features of a good $500 phone. (Or even $200 phone) So what if they are world phones? There are plenty of good world phones out there.

Plus, most people arn't going to see it and go "OMG! He has a Vertu phone!" Most people have never even heard of them before.

Verdict: Pass on it.

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Really does not seem worth it to me. Seriously overpriced for the thing.

DrS

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well an actor friend of mine has one, and swears that the concierge button is worth it eventhough his assistant uses it for him. I myself don't think anything will touch it for service, so if you want to have one phone for the next 5 years, go for it.

The price is not the issue, because if you are willing to even shop for a $5k phone, everything else factorwise goes away.

Ask if it is function, or bragging rights? if your answer is neither, buy it.

11. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    But if you can afford a $5,000 phone, couldn't you afford proper concierge service from one of those "lifestyle management" companies or from American Express (with the black card)?

12. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    a customer of mine had one. it was nice and well built with a solid feel to it. but and this is a big but it did not seem worth 5g's. money can be spent better in other places. if it is your thing to spend that much on a phone have fun, i would rather do something more fun with the money.

thad

13. charlie_ludden

charlie_ludden F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Charles
    a friend of mine has one he spent 32,000k on it after being customized, he says with the platinum and all, he gets better signal on his razor

14. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    Is this the phone you were talking to me about Charlie the other day? Wow, pretty pricey, and I thought I paid too much for the Iphone :p