Does anyone have an Elise on order? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Does anyone have an Elise on order?

Discussion in 'British' started by damcgee, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Goofy looking?? Come on, please. The car looks sweet. Last years Elise looks just about the same as this years U.S. spec with some minor changes/adjustmants. The whole chassis on the Elise ways only 100 pounds. There were a few delays with some parts but Lotus is ramping up and some customer cars should get to them by mid july. There is already a ship with several demo cars for each dealer that is here now and a few lucky customer cars are on that ship to but its a small shipment so far for customers. Lotus wants every dealer to have the real U.S. demo car each at the same time. As far as wider wheels it does not need them, thats because the handling is so good already. But if you order the sport package you will get slightly wider wheels and wider stickier tires among a few other options.

2. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have a feeling that this thing is going to dominate SOLO2.

As far as the looks, none of that matters to me. It's all about the performance.

Craig

3. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  4. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    I second that. People that are complaining about its looks and tire size just don't get it, and that's fine. Get yourselves something pretty that you can put some 'phat shoes' on, and enjoy it. Bottom line, the Elise is not a poseur car.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You're just jealous! :D Where have you BEEN?? I thought of calling you today.

--Dan

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yeah. That's why Car & Driver said it "looks like a fishing lure".

Gary

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the car is ugly!!!!!!agreed...i am sure with it s light weight and stiff suspension, the car will be fun to drive.... really more of a go cart....iwouldnt take it on a freeway or anywhere near any suvs..more of a toy...i agree with the previous post that a used m3 or e46 wouldgive you perf. and a real car.... how about a z06, used ,?with more than 2x the horsepower and 5-10k less?

8. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I'm thinking about one. I really like small, light cars that handle well- I drove a Series I back in 96 over in the UK and fell in love with it. It is indeed a go-kart and this Series promises to have much more power and greater reliability.

One of my bigger problems is the local dealer (Criswell Chevrolet/Lamborghini/Lotus) has been, in my experience, real scumbags. They could never, ever, fix my Corvettes (yes I owned a few in my time) correctly and seem to take real delight in screwing their customers. My wife refuses to set foot on their property and that's another hurdle. I nearly got in fistfight with the GM zone-rep and still will not buy GM because of them.

I also will wait until the hoopla dies down- I think the car is overpriced as it is- and I sure as hell won't pay a premium. They'll be discounting by this time next year I bet.

I would also like to know what the warranty is- and I pray the car will perform more reliably than the Lotus website.

BTW I don't mind the styling- but I thought the original series was much prettier and greatly resembled the Dino 246.

I can afford to wait- we're also going to look at the new SLK and the new Boxster.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

10. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I assume you're in the MD/DC area then? There is one very skilled mechanic that went independent down there somewhere.

If you're interested, check out the Turboesprit or Elise list on yahoogroups. Some good info on our cars there.

Agree with you on the pricing issue, I think low $30's would have been the ideal base price for this car instead of the high $30's. Probably looking at about $42K by the time you're all said and done which will buy you a lot of car these days.

11. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Doubt it. I sat in a US version and it was difficult for me to get in and out of and I'm only 5'9" 160 lbs.

It's a very bare bones car too, passenger seat doesn't adjust, no real luxuries, etc...It really is a race car/go kart for the street.

12. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Oh excuse me, This is what car and driver said so therefore i should just listen, follow and believe it as my own.
    I really don't think the price is far off. Its a hand built car, if you want more luxuries then this car isnt for you.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's why I'm waiting for the special Rapala Edition, with the ultra-quiet cruise feature. Plate: "BSSMSTR"

14. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Where would you say it is vs. S2000, Miata, SLK or Z3/4 as far as driver's seat space?

15. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

I'll tell ya its a tighter fit than all of those.

16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's too bad. The Z's and the SLK I fit, Miata too snug for comfort and S2000 not at all. If it's smaller than that I'm out of luck on the Elise then.

17. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    how big are you? I am 6ft tall about 195 and I still fit. there is just some close quarters when it comes time to shift and having your arm lean in the middle.

18. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Of course not. But it pays to be somewhat aware of what the industry is thinking about your car. Sometimes it affects things like resale value and perception. Not too many enthusiasts are going to be of the opinion that this is a great looking car. Great performing, yes, great looking, I don't think so. But hey, it's a free country, buy whatever you want. And I'm sure it's a car I would have fun with on a track day.

Gary

19. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    #44 lotustt, Jun 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #45 EspritSE, Jun 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Holy pickle, Batman! We definitely have different definitions of the word "sweet"!!

Gary

22. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

Enough, I do not really care to argue over your opinion of the definition of sweet or good looking. This thread was not about if the car is ugly or not and why. Thanks

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Just good-natured joshin', I hope I didn't offend you. Like I said, my brother is buying one, and I'm looking forward to driving it on the track. A lot of people don't like the looks of the 360, either, you just have to trust your own judgment. Enjoy!

Gary

24. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I'd say tighter than an S2000 but similar. It's deceiving because it looks roomier than it is. There is a wide door sill that you have to step over and plop down into the seat, which is quite low. My thoughts getting into the car were, "Oh please don't slip on the diamond plate floors and crack your nuts on the steering wheel in front of everyone." It's even comparable to climbing into a go kart.

25. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Agree, it's tight to get into, but I'm sure if I had spent a few more minutes in the car I would've adjusted and gotten a bit more used to it.