Does anyone know how to relieve the fuel pressure in a GDI motor? | FerrariChat

Does anyone know how to relieve the fuel pressure in a GDI motor?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gobble, Apr 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I need to pull my injectors to send them away for cleaning and inspection. The dealer told me I have a failed injector after sitting over the winter.

Does anyone know how to release the high fuel pressure in a GDI motor? The service manual says there is a procedure for this in the diagnostic tool, but I'm sure there's another way to do it.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What car are you working on? Honestly it doesn't matter but I was just curious.

Locate the fuse for the lift pump in the tank..fuel pump fuse. Pull it. Start the car and let it run until it stalls out..you now have zero fuel pressure in the system. Do your thing.

I will warn you. Direct fuel injectors can be very difficult to remove in many cases a specific puller will be needed to get them out of the head. It is not a fun job.

3. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Thanks. That's exactly what the Bosch instructions for GM say. For BMW and MINI Bosch says tap an injector with a spanner wrench to remove pressure, which seems crazy.

The WSM just says "remove the rail with injectors complete from its seat." That sounds easy but maybe not. I guess for backup my buddy is a Mercedes tech and use to be Lotus and Lamborghini. He says he deals with the Mercedes GDI system which I'm guessing uses Bosch parts?

They just pull straight out but are stuck in there pretty good?

It's a 458 with a cylinder 3 misfire.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ok..458 is not so bad to remove..however access is a bugger coupe or spider?

5. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    It's a coupe. I'm 90% of the way there. I'm at the step in the WSM where the two harness brackets on the front of the intake need to be removed. I decided I needed to order a magnetic 5MM ball hex bit before removing the bottom bolts. Tops are out. I've also removed 15 of the 16 bolts holding the intake down. Just the front right remains but I need to remove that bracket to access it.

Plan is to send both injector rails to Injector Rx for inspection and cleaning. Good idea?

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lucky you dont have a spider..oh my..totally different animal to work on.

Anyhow..to be honest, I have never tried to have the injectors repaired. I have only replaced with new units. For me it's just not worth the risk of having to do the job twice if the repair fails. Last time I replaced them, you could only buy a complete set per bank which included the rail. Not sure if that has changed.

Once you have the intake off, shine a good light down the intake ports. Check for carbon build up on the back of the valves. Well known issue on any direct injected car.

7. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    They say they can now replace individual injectors as Ferrari has supplied the tools needed to do that. I was quoted $500-600 for an injector or $4,800 for the entire rail. I know the price is around $2,000 from Eurospares.

Do you have the Ferrari DEIS software? I was told they need to input numbers off the individual injectors when they change them, although the WSM is silent on this. My Mercedes friend told me their diagnostic software has the same procedure. This is why I was going the cleaning/testing route first.

Injector Rx told me they do this all the time for the race teams and Ferrari of Houston and my problem sounds familiar. Seems odd for a 2,500 mile car though.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When you replace the injectors for new units, you must enter the new injector number into the ecu. That resets the the quantity value etc. Which effect the ion spark control and other parameters. They all talk to each other.

I have in the past just slapped a set in and reset the adaptations. The car will eventually relearn on it's own. But the thing will be a bugger to drive for a bit..

9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Interesting. Sorry what do you mean by "reset the adaptations?" Is that something you can do with my Launch diagnostic tool?

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's possible..although I have not used that particular tool. So I cannot comment.

11. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Ok thanks. If you ever need fob programming or PIN retrieval for the 90's through 2000's cars I owe you....

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was thinking the same thing Mark that your injectors should not be bad yet on a direct injected car but I guess if everyone is saying its common it likely is.

13. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    It's really only the dealer that's saying it. My car ran perfect before winter storage. I only drove it maybe 50 miles but it was amazing. It then sat at a detailer waiting for clear bra and we had an unexpected snowfall and salt on the roads, so I told them just to keep it there for the winter because they had space. When the dealer came to pick it up a month ago for the annual maintenance I got a call that there was a CEL and misfire on cylinder 3. They diagnosed it to a sticking fuel injector. I took the car back wanting to run some fresh gas through it first but so far that hasn't cleared the issue.