Does anyone know this 575M for sale at Rardley in the UK? | FerrariChat

Does anyone know this 575M for sale at Rardley in the UK?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 21ATS, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/575/ferrari-575-f1-one-of-168-2002/6612032

I quite like the fact it has no shields, has aluminium calipers and is otherwise quite low key. Plus the colour combination is just what I like (as does my wife which makes life easier!)

The mileage doesn't bother me as I'm not looking for an investment/show piece, I'm looking for something to drive maybe 3000 miles a year in good weather that won't depreciate horrendously (at least not as much as the 2015 Mercedes SL it will potentially replace).

I've been reading as much of this forum as possible and I understand the FHP is desirable, but I wonder how much it would effect the ride on a car being used on poor English roads in and around Kent/Surrey.

From what I've read Rardley seem to have a good reputation, I just wondered if anyone happened to know the car and potentially what should I be looking at if I were to take my mild interest any further?

2. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Wow, nice car! that amount of mileage is not important, in fact I've been told that having the car run some over it's age is better than not run.

21ATS likes this.
  3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    While I am considering adding FHP parts to my 575 (or to just have them...because I'm like that), I must admit to finding no fault with the car's dynamics. In fact, I think it handles remarkably well for a near-as-makes-little-difference-to 4,000lb machine. Beautifully poised, and that's exactly what it's all about. If I want to grip and rip, I'll take the 348 or the 911 :)

21ATS likes this.
  4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Your experience is similar with mine. You get all these guys on here who say ignorant stuff like

1. Without the FHP the 575 is too tame...LOL
    2. The F1 system is mediocre.....LOL

I could go on and on, but even a normal, non FHP 575 is an awesome car even by today's standards 16 years later. That in itself is a remarkable feat.

21ATS likes this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #5 greyboxer, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Mike is a sensible chap and 40 000 miles is just run in for that engine - FHP is unnecessary in the UK although if you ever get the option for the FHP steering ecu its worth a try but may not convince - there must be a buyers guide somewhere here (at the top maybe?) - unless you are very confident the usual ppi advice applies and get a computer readout

21ATS likes this.
  6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I read a few reviews prior to purchasing that had me convinced the first thing I would do is add the FHP stuff. Then I got the car, put it through a few of my favorite tight corners around here and thought, "Err, wait a minute..." :) I was expecting noticeable dive and roll, both of which are yet to expose themselves in any unacceptable measure. Also, being a dyed in the wool manual guy, I was really taking a big leap of faith buying an F1-equipped car and, while I told myself I'd give it a fair shake, I was nearly certain I'd be looking to convert the car once I got it. Don't tell anyone, but...I'm really enjoying this thing the way it is! At least for now :)

Anyway - OP, the car looks very nice! That interior spec is gorgeous. I agree that if you are not looking for a concours queen, the mileage is of little concern.

21ATS likes this.
  7. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    $100-120k you should be able to get a good one. I just paid $104k in november, 20k miles red/tan with a fresh belt service. I see plenty on ebay asking 120ish that can be had for less.

9. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The UK market for these is a bit of an oddity at the moment. Lots of £100k asking prices but seemingly not much selling.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    21ATS, the second car will ride more firmly than the first one on its 19 inch wheels, if you are not going for FHP because of ride concerns.

The first one does seem to ride higher than my 575 - see the images attached - but mine is a FHP car. (My one is the darker blue, TDF).

I tried FHP and non FHP cars and I came down firmly for FHP, which makes the car much sharper when pressing on. I wouldn’t say non FHP is soft, but it’s more of a GT car.

Ride is definitely firmer and bumpier on potholes etc (though the 19 inchers wont like potholes either). But generally good, for a 200mph Ferrari.

Horses for courses..and it’s a buyer’s market now. Good luck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21ATS likes this.
  11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I tried several UK 575s last summer before finally buying a 550. With the 575 in the UK there seems to be a lot of puffed up asking prices on the basis of perceived rarity. I heard a lot of "this is a RHD/manual/FHP/built on a Tuesday/etc, so rarer than a 250GTO" type marketing. Like you I was after a driver's car, so in the end having decided that all these "features" were mainly investment rather than performance focused, a standard 575 F1 was just fine. But then I saw a 550 with Rardley, and that was it.

They were very decent people to deal with.

That car looks very nice. Good luck.

21ATS likes this.
  12. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    This is very helpful actually. I bought a Mercedes SL new and it's sitting in my garage as I find the suspension too hard. I live in Kent and I wince every time it hits a pot hole - one wince for my back, second wince for the wheels/tyres/car.

My daily it a 2017 Audi S6 Avant and it's been a revelation. It's comfortable with a great turn of speed but a bit of a wallowy hector. But hey, it's an estate car what do i expect.

So approaching 50 my days of firm handling sports cars are over. I'm firmly in the GT camp now. It sounds like non FHP would suit me down to the ground.

13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    There certainly seem to be some quite speculative asking prices being thrown out there to see if anyone bites.

I'm currently caught between the 550 (for a manual) and the 575 (for an F1). I think my choice, like yours, will come down to when the right car presents itself.

Honestly I'd like a green/beige combination which is very rare, but I'd be equally happy with TDF/light interior.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I know the feeling about the potholes!

I think if an SL is too firm, I would definitely avoid FHP. 18 inch wheels with Michelins would give the most compliant ride.

Interestingly the new generation of super sports can sometimes ride quite compliantly - 488, McLarens, etc - on their softer modes. So your racing days may not be behind you.

The 650S I reviewed a couple of years back rode better than my C63 AMG estate..

The 550 rides much more firmly than a non FHP 575. My 550 is probably bumpier than my FHP 575. Taz pointed out this is partly to do with the metal shock mounts (? May have that wrong) which can be swapped out. But 575 non FHP much more GT.

21ATS likes this.
  15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    It's this kind of feedback you just don't get from magazines and reviews.

I was initially mildly obsessed with FF's and even made offers on a couple, but having driven one it was simply too much for me. More than 600hp and insane levels of performance. I've figured out 450-500 hp is more than enough. Plus I've always liked the 550/575, it's just an attractive car.

I'd already figured out Taz is the oracle when it comes to 575's.

All of the mid engined stuff you mention looks fantastic, but I'd never want to own one. Drive it round a track for half an hour then hand it back would be my idea of fun. but not own one.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It’s true, the 575 is a car you’d never want to sell..

If you’re in Kent, you should speak to Roger Collingwood at The Ferrari Centre, if you don’t know him already. Great people. They look after my 550. He may know of some 575s.

17. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    A friend of mine owns a yellow 575 and has also recommended The Ferrari Centre. So yes I'll certainly be going there for advice and maintenance.

I'm getting the feeling that as many of these cars change hands privately (or through word of mouth via good independents) as they do through national media. So making it known I'm looking for one seems to be way forward now I think.

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How do you know the Rardley car is not perfect for you ? My point is there are very few of these cars and so you could be in for a long wait before either of your above criteria are fulfilled

19. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    It could indeed be the one.

20. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I did chuckle at the dash shrinkage reduction. I know they are rare, but you'd buy a 550 if you want manual right?

Unless you're making up a collection never to be driven I suppose.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    That was certainly my thinking, and how I ended up buying a 550 vs 575 manual. And if you are going to drive it in the intended manner (as a GT and not chuck it around like a sports car) then, for me, paying a 75%-ish premium for a 575 manual FHP over a good 550 makes zero sense.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The percentage of 575s with 3 pedals was much higher for UK RHD than for the ROW. 69 of 251 for 27.5%. ROW was only 9.8%. So finding a RHD 3 pedal is not as difficult as it is for everybody else. Has not done much for saving you guys any money, though.

24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    So was I - in my case it was a 550 that came along. I love it to bits, including playing with the gearbox, but I am sure I should have been equally happy if I had bought a 575.

Not necessarily. Darius owns both and seems very clear that the 575 is superior overall:

"We thought this would be a difficult, entirely subjective battle. But in the end, the 575’s one significant advantage over the 550 – the steering – plus the numerous small improvements in performance, ride, refinement, interior quality and sophistication, cancel out the 550’s trump card, its joy at the limits of handling. If you are buying a car to drive at its limits every day, then perhaps this trump card would be the killer app to swing your modern classic decision towards the 550. We also think that, from the outside, the 550 looks just a little cleaner and better. But overall, as a Ferrari for fast, real-world driving, combining speed, luxury, handling, refinement and utter aristo-Italian factor, the 575M manual with Fiorano Handling Pack beats the 550, and by a quite distinct margin. With only 69 made like ours, it’s also a true modern classic."​

For the full article, see https://www.lux-mag.com/2017/05/04/best-modern-classic-ferrari/

He's wrong, of course ;)