Does anyone know this 575M for sale at Rardley in the UK? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Does anyone know this 575M for sale at Rardley in the UK?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 21ATS, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ha! Thank you for the reminder of the article. They are both fabulous cars and of course pretty similar. But mine, anyway, are not as similar as some might think. I tend to think the 550 is a bit more fun and chuckable, and the 575 a bit more grown up - faster when you want it to be, more laid back when you want it to be. More layers.

The steering on the 575 is much better - I was amazed by the numb steering at low speed on the 550, part of Luca's reaction against the F512M and preceding cars which were too heavy at low speeds. But the 550 enjoys being whipped around corners and twisty roads, probably more than the 575.

I like the dash of the 550 better - those 3 extra dials - but the interior quality and design of the 575 is better.

550 sounds better on a standard exhaust (you can actually hear the engine making a whir of mechanical noises, like a muted version of a 275 or 250) but my 575 has Tubi back boxes and sounds wondrous.

My only gripe about both is that neither has the beauty of a 275 or Daytona and neither has the drama of a F512M or even a F12. But being subtle has its advantages, and they are not ugly, just not among Ferrari's top designs. A bit muted.

Fantastic cars and what unites them also is how different they are to anything that preceded them or succeeded them.

And finally, speaking of two-seater front-engined cars with around 500 hp, transaxles, and long bonnets, that are around £100-£120k on the used market, I have been reviewing this over the weekend. I expected some similarities, despite having reviewed the coupe version a couple of years ago, but actually it's a totally different kind of car. Great, great fun, but if you're worried about ride, this one rides like a roller skate with two bricks tied on top.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21ATS likes this.
  2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I don't know about the part about maranellos not being as good looking as a daytona. Yes the 275 I will give you that, thats probably the most beautiful Ferrari ever made, but the maranello(550/575) is in my humble opinion the best looking ferrari of the last 30 years since the testarossa. It's just timeless,elegant, and a throwback to its early ancestors. The daytona is a nice car car, but the maranellos just look better in my opinion, not mention they drive a hell of a lot better. When I look back at front engine 12 cylinder cars ferrari has ever produced, the only one I could say is more beautiful than a maranello is the 275, thats it.

Chupacabra likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All a matter of taste. I never liked the 275 GTB, except for the competition versions, and loved the Daytona. When I bought the Daytona, 275 GTBs were much less expensive. Who knew what was going to happen?

-K1- likes this.
  4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I could not disagree more. :) Great article, though!

5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Fair enough, whats the most beautiful Ferrari in your opinion? Im going out on a limb and guessing 575 maranello?

The maranellos just combine so many aesthetic features with the legendary cars the 250 gto, the 275 gtb, they have a gorgeous rear end and a beautiful nose. I really do believe that the maranellos could go down as the most beautiful modern Ferrari. They really are just unloved by the market today but its hard to ignore their beauty for much longer. I still can't believe my good fortunes to walk into the garage and look at those beautiful lines everyday.

greg246 likes this.
  6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    250 LM

Attached Files:

greg246 and Bluebottle like this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    There are many contenders among the Ferraris of the '60s - a golden era in bodywork design, and not just for Ferrari either - and it really is difficult to compare them with a design from a very different era, 30 years apart.

Of one thing I am sure, however, none of its successors has come close to the elegance of the 550/575 and I offer this by way of evidence:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ewright and greg246 like this.
  8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Correct, my issue with the new cars is the really lack distinguishable features which allow the average person to know what they are. What I mean is I've had people come up to me at gas stations, parking lots, etc and say "gorgeous maranello" or "the maranello was my dream car". To me the california,the 599,the california T, the F12 unless you're really a fan of Ferrari like most of us here, they're just too similar in design especially if the cali's have the roof up. The maranellos from the side and from the front, you are not going to confuse them with any other model and when you're paying the price of these new V12 ferraris, I feel like that should be part of the experience. Regardless when we come back in 30 more years I don't think the maranello will be as unloved as it is today, I think people will begin to see its link to the heritage of the early Ferraris and it will drive its demand. All these new cars are like space ships, they're amazing to drive and have the sharpest lines but the maranellos both have this driving feel that no cars today or in the future can replicate.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Folks criticized the 250GT Lusso for being too bland, as well. Do not hear much of that any more.

Jürgen Geisler likes this.
  10. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Although my first contact came in a different scale (Matchbox) I did, and still do prefer the shape of the 250 GT/E. Too bad I did not buy one in good time. But it's only because at the time I bought another "unliked" car, a Series 1 E-type 2+2. Had and enjoyed it for 16 years (then the kids had outgrown that car) and then got a V12 roadster, and very soon after that the 456 GT, agan partly because they were too cheap not to buy! :)

11. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    It seems to tick your boxes; why only your mild interest? What is your level of driving experience? Have you raced or auto-crossed? are you likely to be driving this car aggressively on public roads? If not, IMHO you will not miss the FHP. If the answers are yes, then you might notice the difference when comparative driving 575M's with and without FHP. In all events, you will be acquiring what in my view is the most flawless design of any road Ferrari since the 365GTB4 Daytona.

and she is blu Tour de France! (see my avatar and my signature below)

johngtc likes this.
  12. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Mild interest because I've never owned a Ferrari, I generally buy new cars and this will be my first V12 and first supercar.

I can't afford a new Ferrari and I find the modern ones just too powerful even if I could afford them.

You're right though, it would probably suit me to have a non FHP car and I think that's the way I'm leaning.

I'm going to view the Rardley car this coming Saturday. This will be the first one I'll have viewed with anything other than a passing interest so I'm on a learning curve. Fortunately I have a friend who owns one so I've been given some pointers and important questions to ask.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just get the best one you can afford, FHP or not. The only 575Ms with porpoising problems were early ones with shock ECU 183960. Swap that out and they are fine. This document will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about shock ECUs.

Attached Files:

21ATS likes this.
  14. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Crap, I have a 3xxxx production #. So...Ricambi, I suppose? :)

15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Thanks Taz, I'll certainly be running any questions past you as it's clear you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the 575M.

I've had information today on a 05/2005, Black/Crema 22K miles at GBP 99,950 (not currently advertised to open market).

Black isn't my first colour choice (particularly in the UK), but the model year and mileage are drawing my interest.

16. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Funnily enough that's the one I'd pick, even over all other super valuable exotica. There's something so right about the form and it's purpose it was perfect in it's time.

It also happens to make the most beautiful mechanical noise I've ever heard. (Well second maybe to a Supercharged Merlin 27 Litre V12 - but that's another conversation altogether).

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Late 05s had a completely different set of shocks, half of which also went on the HGTC. They also had the steering position sensor introduced in Nov/Dec 2003 (AN 52556) that sends a signal to the shock ECU as soon as the steering wheel is moved. Earlier ones relied completely on the accelerometers for that lead into turn signal, and accelerometers lag. So post AN 52556 575Ms work fine without FHP.

That 05/2005 575M references the first registration date, so ask the dealer for the assembly number next to the engine and you can decipher what factory updates she has with this document.

Attached Files:

21ATS likes this.
  18. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I'm an idiot, I'm actually #49232. Carry on :)

19. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Going to see the Rardley car on Saturday. Still no information on clutch wear or if it's had a replacement, so I assume it's going to need one.

The Black 05/2005 that popped up off grid has the following spec and was being offered at GBP 99,950. It has 19" Modulars, FHP, Sabbia and 22k Miles.

Quite a desirable spec and a decent asking price compared to other cars with lower spec and nearly double the mileage. So I said I was interested and at that point it went a little strange.

I was told the car had just been traded to a Ferrari dealer, it was with them but they were yet to pay for it. Would I like to be put in touch with the Ferrari dealer?

I've expressed an interest and I'm currently waiting to find out where the car is and who is the current "owner". I fully expect this to pop up for sale on the market at a lot more than the 99,950 that was mentioned when I enquired.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

There is now a third option.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/575/ferrari-575-maranello-f1--2004-04/8525184

I'd discounted this car simply because when I went to view it on the Meridien website it shows as sold and has done for a couple of weeks. It was still being advertised in the usual places though which seemed odd, they normally pull the adverts as soon as their cars sell. So I called them today and they said it was still available and the sold thing was a glitch on their website. I asked for the cars history which is as follows:-

The car was originally supplied by HR Owen on 23/07/2004 and it has had a total of six owners with a full Ferrari main dealer service history which I have listed below, we supplied the car as a Pre-Owned car 31/12/2016.We also have the original bill of sale from HR Owen all the service invoices as below and a few other invoices for other work carried out.

The current mot expires February 2019 which we performed at the last service.

1. HR Owen-25/08/2005@3963 miles
    2. HR Owen-20/04/2006@4886 miles
    3. HR Owen-14/06/2007@9755 miles
    4. Dick Lovett-10/02/2008@10062 miles
    5. Dick Lovett-11/02/2009@14719 miles
    6. Graypaul-27/01/2010@18037 miles - Cambelts
    7. Graypaul-04/03/2011@19400 miles
    8. Graypaul-08/03/2012@23192 miles
    9. Graypaul-12/12/2012@24314 miles - Cambelts
    10. Graypaul-23/01/2014@25315 miles -New Clutch
    11. Dick Lovett-27/02/2015@27315 miles
    12. Meridien Modena-27/01/2017@29050 miles - Cambelts
    13. Meridien Modena-22/02/2018@29316 miles

The car will come with 12 months warranty and a Sales check over and it also has the Ferrari cover, battery conditioner and all the books including the Ferrari torch which usually go missing over time!

I like this a lot, the photography is a bit dark but it's TDF and Beige which is as good as gets (for me) unless one of the handful for Verde Zeltweg/Beige cars come to market (unlikely).

It looks clean and tidy, no FHP and standard 18" wheels which means it's going to be a comfortable ride. Plus the 4000 mile old clutch and a Ferrari warranty.

I'm trying to move things around so I can drive down and see this one on Sunday. I think this is now option one.

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    But its twenty grand more expensive ! A quarter might be clutch and another quarter warranty but the rest ?

21. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Even among official dealers, Meridien are not cheap but good people to deal with. I see they have a 550 with 19k miles for £130k. I bought a similar one last summer for £103k (admittedly it was private but prices are softer now). Even if you assume 10% off the ask, they come across as 10-15% more expensive in general.

Based on my back to back driving the 550 and 575, if you are planning to use it like a GT, the FHP hardly matters. It might make sense on a track but these cars are too heavy to be thrown around like that.

Good luck with the viewings.

21ATS likes this.
  22. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    I think both Rardley and Meridien are good to deal with
    Rardley seem to be very realistic in their pricing in the present market
    Both cars look lovely.

23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I agree the Rardley car has a realistic price attached to it.

Anything I've ever looked at with Meridien has been top money.

24. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    And that is something that can only be assessed by viewing both cars. However I agree the Meridien car is priced at the top end. I'll be pitching in at 90 and see what happens if I feel it's the right one. They don't seem to do much in the way of deals and seem happy to sit on stock until someone pays what they want.

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The Meridien car looks very nice. Would be interesting to see your Nero one and know what kind of warranty you'll get with that. Not all warranties are the same..equally with follow up care.