Does anyone know this 575M for sale at Rardley in the UK? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Does anyone know this 575M for sale at Rardley in the UK?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 21ATS, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The independent had a couple of snaps of it he emailed across this morning, but I'm not sure where it is right now:-

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Looks good. But you'd get a smoother ride in the Meridien car...and (though these pix are hard to see) the interior of the Meridien car looks like it might be in better condition?

3. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Yeah, the Meridien car just looks tidy and the explanations of FHP on this forum points to it not being appropriate for what I want to use the car for.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Wow, I just did the conversion and that's close to $150k US! I had no idea 575's are commanding that much over there - RHD is a rarity, I suppose?

Still totally worth it, and I think that car looks fantastic. 18's and no FHP is probably just what you're after ride-wise.

5. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  6. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
  7. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    See post #44 for actual spec.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  9. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Today I test drove both the Rardley and Meridien cars.

Before I report my findings, understand I am probably the least qualified person to pass judgement on these cars. I have never owned a supercar, never mind a Ferrari and I’m generally a new car buyer as I just don’t enjoy the bartering and headaches that go hand in hand with older vehicles. But I’m open to change!

So the following are the findings of the least knowledgeable Ferrari test driver on the forum.

Rardley first,
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/575/ferrari-575-f1-one-of-168-2002/6612032

We met with a well presented clean 575 in the showroom at Rardley (just large enough to fit this single car only).

The car is a commission sale on behalf of the owner.

A clutch life printout was presented showing a little over 56% worn and there appeared to be no evidence it had ever been replaced.

We took the car for a reasonable drive over local countryside and a little dual carriageway. I drove it in both auto and manual modes. The gear change was jerky particularly from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, in both manual and auto, but not uncomfortably so. The higher the revs/faster you were driving the smoother the gear change.

There was a check engine light on throughout the drive, the air conditioning was not blowing cold and the radio didn’t operate (looks like it needed a code).

Rubber seals around both headlights didn’t fit particularly well at the leading edge and evidence of overspray on them.

There was surface corrosion in one spot on the drivers side rear panel were the boot lid meets the rear screen.

The Crema interior was in pretty good condition considering the car is 16 years old.

No sticky buttons, but the vent surrounds were sticky.

The dealer was pleasant and straightforward, he’s valuing my part ex and we’ll be in touch this week.

I realised after I left I hadn’t asked about warranty.

The Meridien Car
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/575/ferrari-575-maranello-f1--2004-04/8525184

First impression is this car was very well cared for with extensive main dealer service history from day one. I preferred the Beige interior to the Crema and I liked the leather trimmed parcel shelf (which was carpet in the Rardley car), it was also in very good condition inside.

Everything in this car worked, the aircon blew cold, the radio worked, in fact the only error I could find was a non working tyre pressure monitor.

Right from the very first moment we pulled out of the showroom it was clear the gear changes in this car were far smoother than the Rardley car in both manual and Auto. It actually felt like a different car. It had a new clutch 4000 miles ago.

It also sounded like a different car and it turns out it’s fitted with Tubi back boxes. So the sound was rich but not overly loud or droning when you pressed on. I also found the suspension slightly more firm than the Rardley car. This is not an FHP car.

When I asked about warranty the dealer explained Ferrari don’t offer warranties for cars over 15 years old and what would be offered is a 12 month RAC warranty which covers a maximum of £4000 per claim with no limit on the number of claims.

The dealer was open, straightforward and accommodating.

So, the Meridien car is clearly the better car by quite some margin, less miles, newer, better condition, a more preferable colour combination (for me). But all this comes at a premium which is understandable, particularly as it’s being offered by a Ferrari dealer and one that’s known for being at the pricey end of the market at that.

What I’d assumed was that premium price came with a premium Ferrari warranty, but as it doesn’t that negates the premium being asked (unless I’m missing something more fundamental).

Did I like it? I’ve never driven a V12 Ferrari. Yes it was an event driving the car. It’s not something I’d want to drive daily, I have an Audi for that but for something to drive at the weekend on a sunny day as an event it was lovely.

Is it worth GBP100,000 I’m not sure with a standard aftermarket warranty.

10. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    The warranty is comforting for the year you have it but if you plan on owning the car over any period of time you need to be comfortable with the reality of owning a Ferrari sans warranty.
    Thankfully they are pretty reliable...

21ATS likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I believe the limit for the Ferrari Approved Warranty in the UK is 12 years, increased in 2017 from 10 years. This would mean no 575 qualifies for one.
    If you can find a car like the Meridien one via a private seller, get a dealer to do a PPI, and get a warranty yourself, you'd save a fair bit of money, but the challenge is to find one like that, and the time and money it takes to do that.
    Definitely don't buy one that's not as good as you can find - I would walk way from the Rardley car, from how you described it.
    My 575 has been the most reliable of all my Ferraris.

21ATS likes this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The reason the Meridien car feels like it has a different suspension is that she has a steering position sensor that sends a signal to the shock ECU to stiffen up the outside shocks as soon as the steering wheel is moved. She also has an updated shock ECU, which also helps. One problem with early 360s and 575Ms has been a 30 amp F1 pump relay that tends to burn up. At the same time they put in the steering position sensor (AN 52556), they also upgraded that relay to a 50 amp one that was already being used in the engine compartment. Just having a post-AN 52556 575M would be worth a reasonable premium to me. Mine is 52428, so I just missed it, but mine has FHP, so not as big a deal.

21ATS likes this.
  13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Offer submitted to Meridien this morning and declined.

They aren't taking offers. it's full price only.

They did offer to thoroughly clean the car and cover the first years Road Tax for a full asking price offer.

So I'll keep looking.

However if anyone is looking for a clean well maintained RHD 575 and is happy to pay £100,000 this is worth looking at.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I offered £10k below asking on a Ferrari from Meridien a couple of years back. They declined, then called back a week later suggesting to meet me halfway. But I found a better car..and you might, also!
    Having said that, the Meridien car looks really nice and Taz's facts add to that.
    But it has no Ferrari warranty..tough one.

15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I offered £90k expecting a counter offer, but nothing was forthcoming.

It's the second car I've viewed at Meridien (previous was a 2013 FF) and they didn't want to deal on that either. I get the feeling they can ask what they like and aren't that concerned with volume. I respect that, it's how I run my business.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hang in there. I have never made an offer on a car that was refused where they did not come back later, like Darius noted. Most of the time, I had found something else, but if you really like this one...

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would wager you a pint of best New Forest ale that they would take £95k for it next week. £90k, not so sure. Do you know if it’s a commission sale or is it their car?

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    ...and if they do come back with a price tempting for you, but higher than your bid, you could ask them to throw in something that costs less for them than for you. Next minor service for free, or (what I’m getting done now on my 575) a machine polish and clear film application..

19. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    It did cross my mind after I'd left that it could be a commission sale. I didn't ask at the time.

Let's see what happens, not many of these seem to be selling at all at the present time. I'm in no rush and sometimes the right deal just presents itself.

20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    The Meridien car used to belong to a friend (who would have been the second or third owner). I believe it is on six owners now. Dick Lovett's had it for sale in July-September 2014 (25,803 miles) asking £74,990 and sold it to the penultimate owner. Meridien then sold it to the last owner (with 29k miles) having it for sale in March 2016 at £124,995, after a couple of weeks reduced to £119,995, then in November 2016 reduced to £109,995 and in mid-December 2016 reduced to £99,995. It sold in January 2017. Now listed again this month with 29,400 miles and again at £99,995. So the last owner has driven 400 miles in 15 months and is presumably looking for that not to have cost them too much.

Jonathan

21ATS and Themaven like this.
  21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Really informative thank you. This forum is excellent for things like this. Yes it's on 6 owners currently.

I now realise that when I went to view an FF at Meridien in November 2016 (that was still there 18 months later) it would have been this very car sat next to it in the showroom. Even then I remember looking at the car and thinking how clean it was and what a lovely colour it is.

I'm still comfortable with my offer and what will be, will be.

22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    "The quality will be remembered long after the price has been forgotten" - buy the best car you can find and enjoy it. You can't drive money in the bank!

NE550 and Chupacabra like this.
  23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    So my search has gone on hold for the time being. I've been browsing for about 6 months but seriously looking for only about 4 months. During that time very little has sold (if any) 575M's from dealers in the UK. The odd 550's seem to be selling but they aren't exactly rolling out the door.

The issue is price. Here's an example of the anomaly of the UK market at present.

2003 575M F1 - 19,000 miles - Ferrari Main Dealer - £98,990

2003 575M F1 - 65,000 miles - Independent Dealer - £94,995

Now I'm not looking for a perfect vehicle to add to a collection of hundreds of cars, this would be my first Ferrari and I wouldn't be unhappy at all to buy something with 65,000 miles (as long as it's in working order) as I'd actually like to drive it. But the asking prices need to be somewhat realistic.

I made an offer of £90,000 on this car:- https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/575/ferrari-575-maranello-f1--2004-04/8525184

I was expecting a counter offer but the response was "we're not talking offers of that nature, good luck with your search".

So if anyone in the UK is thinking of selling their 575M F1 and is actually interested in selling at a realistic price rather than the current dream values being advertised then I'm interested in buying.

I prefer Green or Blue (yes I know green is rare) and I like light interiors, particularly beige. I'm not a fan of red on the 575.

I don't really want or need a car with FHP.

Later would be preferable (2003 onwards).

24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Pretty sure one will come up for auction this year. It might sound odd, but you could sound out the auction houses directly, between sales. The good ones are aware of a lot of owners with cars - they know what I have, for example, even though I've never consigned. They might be able to negotiate a private treaty sale.
    I'm sure you've registered interest with the likes of Ferrari Centre, Foskers, and the other good independents. Who knows, you may get an owner who actually needs to sell, off market.
    Good luck!

21ATS likes this.
  25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    ...or you could bite the bullet, pay close to asking for the TdF car, and get a summer driving a Ferrari 575 where previously you would have none. And how many more Ferrari driving summers do we all have to lose?

johngtc and 21ATS like this.