News

Does anyone use a MaxJax lift to service their car and do you recomend it?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ferrari Fix, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Ferrari Fix

Ferrari Fix Rookie

Mar 13, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Full Name:
    Matt D
    I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a MaxJax M6 lift. It's portable and stows away so it looks ideal for my cramped garage. Do you think the lift is useful and safe?

2. cls

cls Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had one and it was both useful and safe. You need a min. 4" reinforced slab or you have to pour concrete pads.

3. jeffdavison

jeffdavison Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I have one on order, should be delivered in August. BendPak now makes them and they are improved over the original ones. YouTube is full of videos.

4. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    I have had a Maxjack M6 now for a year and a half and I use it with my Ferrari F430 Spider. I love it, however, couple things I wanted to point out that I learned.
    Make sure the distance between the posts is wide enough for your car. I put my posts at about 95% that maximum recommended distance and found that the arms can still touch the car unless it is positioned just right. I end up having to drive up onto 1 inch panels of particle board to get it off the ground enough as there is no margin for error, because the car is too low to put any spacers on the arms unless you drive it up on something and the arms by themselves without some rubber spacers are very likely to touch the car.

It is only with my Ferrari I have this problem, all other cars are fine. It is because the Ferrari is low and wide, two things that MaxJack needs help with when lifting.
    I have a procedure now, so it is OK, but I scrapped the paint on my car and had to repaint the bottom because the lift touched once before I learned.

By the way, the other cars that work fine, Mercedes SL63, Corvette C6 Z06, BMW 745Li, Toyota Camry, Dodge Daytona, Toyota Sienna Van, Toyota Tundra, Ford Flex, Mercedes SL500.

I did not want to place them too far apart because I was concerned, since my concrete was just thick enough it would put to much stress on it, as the wider apart they are the more stress on the flooring. And besides, all my other cars which I work on more frequently fit fine. But If I had to do it over, I might have gone 10 more inches wider which would make the ferrari fit easier.

Overall, the lift has been great and i am glad I bought it. I have done tons of work in my shop (personal shop at my house) and I love it.

Good luck with your lift I think you will love it if you buy one. It was the only one I could find that allowed me to remove it from the floor, which is why I got it.

Of course I have never removed it LOL

5. Ferrari Fix

Ferrari Fix Rookie

Mar 13, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Full Name:
    Matt D
    What's a good width to place the posts?

I just placed an order for one. They are offering a discount of $150 if you order before August. Bendpak is shipping the lifts starting in August...I can't wait but I'll have to.

6. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    I have had.a MaxJax for several years now. I have used it on a 360, 456, 308 and several non F-cars. When I put it in I sized the spacing to fit several cars. I had not considered a 308 which is considerably narrower than most modern cars. It not only is narrower, but the jacking points are far inboard on the 308, so the arms would not reach. I wound up drilling another set of holes in the floor to accommodate the 308. It works fine for all of these cars. I do not have to drive it up on blocks in order to get clearance. I can look up my dimensions and let you know how far apart I put the posts. I used the epoxy anchors for extra safety. They were extra cost.

7. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    stupid question:

why not use 4 high quality jack stands and a 2 1/2T floor jack of = reputation? i was raised on them.
    i can confidently raise my 328 up to 19"aff. and can get them out of the way with ease, when not needed.

i have radiant heat in the garage floor, so lifts are out of the question.

8. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    The MaxJax lift will lift the car about 48", so you don't have to lay on your back to do work. Also, the posts are removable. They can be unbolted from the floor and moved out of the way when not in use. Granted, moving them is not as easy as moving a jack stand, but they do have wheels on them.

9. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #9 itsablurr, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    I've had a MaxJax 2 post portable lift for about 4 years now. I've done various suspension, brake jobs etc across our household vehicles, as well as an engine-out service on the Ferrari. It does the trick, however if I were to do it again, I would recommend going in a different direction for a nominal $ amount more and end up with something a bit nicer and more robustly designed. There is much better value out there for not much more.

A couple of observations that would drive that decision...
    - It is not a ratcheting safety-catch design. Instead, the posts have a handful of holes to stick a steel rod through to act as a 'catch'. These holes are few and widely spaced up the length of the posts.
    - Hydraulic rams do not lift at an even rate between sides on a fully bled system.
    - Though on the more qualitative side, when compared side-by-side to similar options at a nominally higher price point, the MaxJax percieved quality of build (size, heft of materials, fit/finish, is noticeably less, whereas others are more confidence-inspiring.
    - Though it is removable, I haven't removed mine since the initial install so it's primary benefit hasn't been realized in my case, despite initial intentions. YMMV.

10. INRange

INRange F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    JD

I agree with the observations. However, at a $2k price point delivered ......it is hard not to appreciate the value. I ended up replacing the crap hydraulic connectors on the lifting rams with these:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Additionally, you must grease the heck out of the sliding mechanism. Any binding shows up scary quick if the hydraulic carriage assembly binds or drags on the lifting post. I'm fine with the slot safety holes and bars. Both positions are ideal for me.

Even after tuning and bleeding.....one side always seem to lift quicker than the other side. It is in MaxJax tolerance of 2". Not a big deal since the safety stops are level and I always rest the lift on the safety stops when I'm doing work under the car.

11. jeffdavison

jeffdavison Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #11 jeffdavison, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when BendPak took over, that they designed in a safety ratcheting system and did a few other upgrades as well. Video comparison, old vs new .

INRange likes this.
  12. INRange

INRange F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    JD
    I would rather drill safety bar holes (MaxJax) than use that ratchet (BendPak) mechanism. I do like the beefy Bend Pak arms.....if they were two inches longer. The same length doesn't help.

13. jeffdavison

jeffdavison Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I'm sure BendPak's are designed with as much safety as can be engineered, as a product liability lawsuit could be devastating and reputation probably irrecoverable.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The lack of a newer 4 inch thick garage floor forced me into a 4 post lift and I have not regretted it at all.