Does fear of breakdown ruin your enjoyment of driving your F-car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Does fear of breakdown ruin your enjoyment of driving your F-car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rascalif, May 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Funny, that's precisely the reason why I DID buy a new one - because it has a 3 year warranty and I never have to worry about repair costs.

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Coyote,

I can appreciate where you are coming from.......really like your red/tan 360. Buying new does eliminate potential problems.......however, brakes, clutches and major services are not included repairs under warrantee.

I buy my cars on the basis of enjoyment, likeing the car, and the monetary principle of "time value money".

I bought my 88 TR six years ago, for $55K. I have driven it 30K miles, spent about $2K in maintanence, and still have a car that is valued at about $50K. I did not include items such as tires, brakes, clutch, or major service, since these are items that are not included in your warrantee, either. It is the depreciation that really throws things off.

The 360 coupes where going for about $200K.........a difference of $150K, compared to my purchase of the TR. At 10% (the historical average of the DOW), that new car is costing $15K per year to keep. Add the depreciation, over the years, and the extra insurance cost, and one has a substantial loss!!!!!!!!! These cars are going down in value.

We have seen 456's and 550's losing $100K in value, with the owner only putting on 10K miles. While the 360 is still in demand, what is it worth with 30K miles on it? I would guess about $50K less, plus the $15K per year to own it. These are still staggering numbers, to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, all of this is predicated on the fact that one does his own repairs, as I do, since it is my hobby.

As I have stated, if I had to rely on a dealer, for all repairs, I would not own a Ferrari, even a new one........with a warrantee!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad that repairing a Ferrari is a hobby, since, this is the only way I would own one.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Past 48 hours... 500 miles. What? Me worry?

Just buckle up and hold on!!!!!

4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    And speaking of gas prices I hope they stay up, Find it much better to spend an extra $20-30 a week to make sure gas is readily available. Not sure how many here drove during the two Oil crisis's in the 70's but I first started driving during the late 70's one, and my 68 Pontiac GTO sucked down gas real fast. Can remember many time I could not drive as no gas available or would have to wait for days I was allowed to get and then wait in line for an hour. So hopefully these high gas prices will bring down the demand for gas and get others to buy more fuel efficient cars so I can hog up more gas for myself. Is funny had that ELF group tag my SUV which gets about 14 MPG while that probably would not look twice at my ittsy bittsy spyder that is averaging about 9 MPG

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    In my experience, most Italian cars can be reliable, if you put the money into comprehensive routine maintenance. If you skimp on the major/minor services, you get more roadside issues.

However; this is conditional on finding a really really good mechanic for your car.

I think the 3x8 series may be a victim of its own reliability. Any Ferrari wrench can fix a V12/Webber -- they see them a lot. But few Ferrari mechanics have encountered CIS or multiplex issues (so far).

You can't recognize common problems when the problems aren't "common". ;)

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My TC isn't THAT bad; LOL it's helped that I've replaced all the ignition components and the carbs are always in top shape. My master cylinder is new as well and I check all the fluids a lot. Still, things can and do go wrong and I completely agree that any Europa will not be as reliable as any Ferrari, all things being equal. But both cars can be made reliable with a lot of work. My car has not stranded me in a year and a half, and I drive it several times a week all year, so I feel like the bugs are finally out.

Ken

7. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Henryk, You have some very good points and I don't disagree with the basic premise of your argument but in my case I simply wouldn't want a car (ANY car) older than maybe 5 years old. The only exception would be for an F40. I wouldn't dream of spending US$50K on a 16 year old car.

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    this is a great topic and yes worry of breakdown has hindered my overall experience. i am not currently tracking my car even though it is running well b/c i would be more upset at another engine blow than i would enjoy the track. however i have no fear of local street driving and use the car every day its not raining. i am not sure this is endemic to ferrari though. just any expensive to repair out of warantee car.

9. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    thought i was the only one with this problem. i got this hang up with my first car a '62 TR 3. never could shake it. i've owned many new cars, old cars,trucks and motorcycles and it follows me still.

10. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    I can totally relate. The worst part is that sometimes while I'm driving, this hang up would come out of nowhere and ruin everything. For instance, the brakes on my old 308 used to lock up due to a faulty master cylinder, stranding me on the side of the road. It did this a couple of times even after I had them serviced. Long after it had been finally fixed, every time I would step on the brake I would still check the tach to see if they were locking up again.

Thankfully, it's been less of a problem with the Mondial.

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    There are many different approaches to car ownership.

When I was young, I bought inexpensive older cars, and spent more time working on them than driving them. But the totaly outlay was appropriate to someone saving for college.

I had a friend that would buy older Italian cars, immediately put a ton of money into getting them fixed up, and then enjoy years of relatively trouble-free driving.

I've bought new cars, maintained them religiously, and kept them as long as I could get service for them. (I still have the Alfa I bought new in 1979. I only sold my 15 year old Celica AllTrac when the dealer's shop was making it worse instead of better.)

Instead of looking for a "just serviced, like new" (yah, right) Ferrari, I bought a realistic "driver" example, put a large service into getting it fixed up, then used it as a daily driver.

When people at work scoff at the costs of servicing an older Italian car, I point out:
    (a) The car is still worth about what I paid for it, four-plus years ago. (given another dot-com era, and it could go up.)
    (b) How much do people lose in depreciation by replacing their "normal" cars every two or three years?
    (c) Meanwhile, I'm driving a Ferrari. ;)

12. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    I can only tell you my experiences.

I bought the Mondial t to be an almost daily driver.

Therefore I was very concerned about reliability.

I flew to Atlanta to pick it up. I knew the battery was weak so I packed a battery jump box (the airlines did not give me any trouble).

Then drove it from Atlanta to Salt Lake City.
    No problems except I did have to jump it.

Replaced the battery and a few wires that I did not like the looks of.
    Also replaced the tires.

Since then it has been totally reliable.
    It does run better when used.

Before I was very concerned about reliability. Now I take 1,000 + mile trips in it without even thinking about reliability.

Last winter I got delayed and the car sat outdoors in –20 F weather.
    I pumped the gas twice. Cracked the accelerator a hair. Started on first revolution.

The Mondials are suppose to be designed for everyday use.
    This might be a factor.
    I might have gotten a good one.

For whatever reason, it has been totally reliable.

13. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    I have also driven the Mondial t at 100+ F - no problems.

I broke my rule of not buying a Ferrari without a pre-purchase.
    Bought on eBay without a pre-purchase.

However, I talked to the seller over several conversations.
    Realizied he was a car lover and it appeared that proper maintenance had been done.

I also asked questions on things like the exhaust. He said it had a sports exhaust. I asked if it was a Tubi. He said he was not for sure since it was at his Atlanta home. If he was dishonest, the answer would probably have been somthing else. Got it for about $22,000 under book. Figured I could pay for a few repairs with that amount.

Went with my gut feeling.
    Seller was a true gentleman.

Only problem has been my initial fear of breaking down.

Also I need to replace one of the roof fasterners due to my heavy handness (it is a cab).
    What are the good sources?

14. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Do I fear a breakdown every time I use my car?
    A definite YES on that one. I'm scared every time I put the key in that ithe car won't start - but, on the other hand, even when the **** hits the fan, the cars usually manage to carry me home without leaving me standed.

Is a newer Ferrari more reliable?
    HELL NO!!! Not in my experience at least. I bought a 98' 355 in 2000, and have been regretting that day ever since - the car has spent more time in the shop or in storage awaiting repair than anything else. So far, the bill is up to $35K in repairs and 11K miles on the odometer... and worst of all is that the dealerships won't stand behind their work and neither will FNA.
    --calm down David, no venting-- (I think I need therapy on this one guys)

OK, well that's my $0.02

David

15. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    David,

Feel for you. Hopefully it will finally work out for you.

This brings up another question - why the large variance in Ferraris?

Although mainly hand made, I find it hard to believe that Ferrari quality control is that bad.

Using it is important, but I again find it hard to believe that this alone could cause the wide variance.

On mine, the previous owner was a car lover, so this helped since he tried to make it better than new.

So what else could cause this wide range of experiences?