Does Originality Matter for Corvettes? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Does Originality Matter for Corvettes?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Texas Forever, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    While what you say is 100% true driving a C2 just isn't that great. I don't even want to be down wind of the tailpipe at a stop light! I pass on racing vintage because to me old cars just suck on track. With a restomod you can drive cross country with A/C blasting and cup holder, get parts in any town, and don't care where you park it.

2. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    Would Greatly depend on the year & horsepower optioning of the engine as an example...a 1963 Split Window Coupe with the fuelie option code L-84 which was a $430.40 option & only 2,610 produced vs the standard 250hp 327 engine.

The Split window missing the original 327/250 hp not a huge factor in valuation lose vs the HUGE lose in valuation of a missing "Fuelie" engine.

LOTS of "1" year only parts on a 1963 Split Window!

3. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #103 threepedal, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Everything in regards to vintage racing must be placed in context, one with any degree of rationale would not confuse the superiority of a modern sport car to one of yesteryear, just as one would not confuse a kite to a space shuttle.

I own a number of sports cars, from a 1959 Austin Healy BN6 to a 1991 Ferrari Testarossa & find & appreciate the various nuances that come from the myriad of driving experiences that the advancement of modernization brings.

I would rather have a 1954 Alloyed bodied Gullwing Mercedes than an Enzo, even though the Enzo being light years technologically & driving capabilities ahead of the Gullwing.

4. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My 67 has all of those things(less the AC that I just removed as I never used it). Electronic ignition is an inexpensive, common upgrade.

I enjoy my 67 every bit as much as my modded C6ZO6. With upgrades by Global West to my C2 chassis and a pro built SBC, it's fast, handles well and is still a C2 Corvette, not a cartoon.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You are 100% correct. I just like the feel of racing and how a chassis responds on the track. I just don't like flying kites. That is just me. Others love real vintage stuff with drum brakes and all.

I actually sold some older "vintage" cars because they were low and dangerous. My head was at bumper level to SUV's. If I own them I drive them. I sold them because I did not want to die in one. Modern safety systems are just another consideration that are intact in a restomod. Remember the thread about John who got hit in the 59 porsche IIRC?? Doesn't the C2 have the fuel filler neck issue right behind the driver that spills all the gas out and catches on fire if you get hit? I guess if you survive the lapbelts you burn in the fire?

Mid Year Rear Crash Fire Hazard? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Some would say, "you race and are a wimp about driving a vintage corvette?" Well yeah you should see my racecar safety system...I am a wimp.

6. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    To each their own. You do track days and like the safety of a new car. Fine.
    I enjoy both vintage and modern sport cars and have never in my life purchased a car that I was planning on crash testing. If I thought that way I'd never bomb a trail in my mountain bike, take any car on track, do high speed open road events, spar in the dojo, fly or tell anyone that asks that I voted to Make America great Again. ;)

7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    To be fair, this whole thread got started on a C5Z that could be a track car/driver for low costs and went all over the place. Go back and look. There is absolutely no freaking way you can compare a C5Z stock to even a resto mod C2 that will be able to do both track days and drive cross country. I am with fatbillybob on this. I would take (and have owned two btw) the C5Z and do both. We have gone from looking at mid $20k C5Z to a mid $60k C2 that I would never take on the track. Maybe Dale can help us help him here by trying to narrow things down. What is most important?

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, no, no, no track car. This would be a cruising fun car. I really like the way the C2 Stingrays look. Frankly, I think the other versions just don't have the same, I dunno, the same pull as a Stingray. It is an instantly recognizable American sports car.

Also I have no intention of having a show car. Like your C4, I once had a car that was perfect. It was a 1973.5 911T with less than 15k miles on the car. Great car, but I drive em, I don't polish em. I don't care if the car gets rock chips. I don't care if the floor mats get a little dirty. But I was ruining that car. I took it to a show once, and the Porsche nuts went, well, nuts. So I sold it and moved on.

Also, my Ferrari experiences ruined me. My 1998 Maranello cost me $3 a mile. I drove it 25,000 miles and lost $50,000 in depreciation and $25,000 in out of pocket costs. So spending $60k on a Vette any shade tree mechanic can fix looks like one helluva deal to me.

Plus, I have forgotten why I used to go to titty bars. I also go to bed early, so late night cruising is out. Plus, I kinda like the idea of driving a Stingray around Europe. I'd have to have some muffler cutouts to let those eurotrash types know what an American V8 sounds like.

But I'm not interesting in driving a '60s era tank. Drum brakes, skinny tires, lousy suspension, ah, no thank you.

Does this make any sense?

9. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    #109 threepedal, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

Here's a Corvette website I belong to...

C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

LOTS of Corvettes for sale & A LOT of experts very willing to give their guidance

10. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Dear Lord you need and intervention if you forgot why we go to titty bars. Your worse off than I thought.

Without going back to the beginning I could have swore you mentioned maybe a track day too. Doesn't really matter anyway. I get exactly what you are saying and understand what your experiences have been. I would put my money on your not being happy with a stock C2. One that has been resto modded, yes. But we are talking $100k to get those which is not what your wanting to spend. (CLARIFICATION: THERE MAYBE ONE CHEAPER THAN $100K BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND IT, NOR REALLY LOOKED FOR IT) You need to put this thing to bed and go drive a C5Z right now. They are everywhere so you can get a test drive in. This is the only way you will know which way you want to go. The C5/6 platform is so close that you could even do a C6 and know which way you want to go. Test driving a C2 is going to be more difficult. You can drive either of my ZR1's if you want.

11. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #111 ForzaV12, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    C5Z's are the best value in track cars-period. That being said, it's ridiculous to state that C2 Corvettes cannot do both track sessions and cross country drives. My 67 has run at Laguna Seca, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs and a few other tracks. It has also successfully completed the last three Targa California rallys(nearly 4000 miles of spirited driving). It was one of the quickest cars in the event and was also very competent in the mountains and canyons-just ask my friends in their 911s.
    It is still a 67 Corvette with the stock chassis, stock suspension design, Muncie trans and old school small block Chevy with a carb. The difference is that I had each of those components optimized by the best in their fields. The engine is a stroked, low compression 350 with alloy heads. It makes about 500HP on crappy California pump gas. It's completely tractable, runs quickly up to redline and will handle extended higher RPM running. The suspension is the latest negative roll, anti-dive set up from Global West and the brakes are the factory hi-po set up with proper pads, fluids and lines. The tires are V-Rated Pirellis or vintage racing Dunlops. With 500HP and a sub 3000lb weight I have little difficulty running with modern iron. The car is well balanced on track and has a decent ride on the street.
    As I have stated, I have also run a C6 ZO6 on the street and track. It has been modded and is one of the quickest cars when it participates in track sessions. The cost to mod the modern Corvette was MORE expensive than the comparable mods to the C2.
    True, the C2 buy in can be more expensive, but with careful shopping it can be pretty close.
    While my C6 is faster around the racetrack, its no more fun to drive on the street and its a car that is seen on every corner. Some of us like to build the extra skill needed to drive a vintage Corvette enthusiastically and enjoy the rarity of the classic design.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Where did I ever say you cannot track a C2? Never. Knowing what Dale does with his free time (I have been to the track with him once) I think he would be disappointed. I too can post pics of my cars and wax poetic about my experience but I won't. Its not the point plus he has stated that no tracking will be done. So all this track stuff can be dropped now.

He asked about a C5Z to start. I have extensive experience with these over the years and daily drove one too for seven years. I offered my opinion. Then the C2 came up somehow and it is a great car. I wish I owned one of the 427/435 models. Would I want to drive one cross country? Probably not. My C5Z sure did and it was great too. My vote, new over old for cross country drives (unless its resto modded to hell but then his budget is blown) but to each his own. You have to keep in mind that this isn't C2 vs C5 only but with a budget to boot. Now to help this thread get back to what was asked.

13. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oh, settle down. You guys brought up the track prowess of the C5 and claimed the C2 would be lost on track. You also stated that a C2 would be awful to drive long distances. I disagree. He brought up the C2. I currently own 8 Corvettes and have entered them in a variety of events. It is entirely possible to build a C2 to meet his needs based on what he's offered up.

14. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    GREAT LOOKING Stance on your #33 car Steve!

I see a Jaguar XKE convertible in the background with it's bonnet up & a big $$$ Porsche Carrera, you are in good company!

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I guess I need a new drug. I know FBB is right. These '60s cars are death traps. I did the Ferrari thing and have no regrets. But, I have never owned a Vette. I'm thinking it might be about time.

Happy new year, everybody.

16. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks-the #33 had all of them covered.

17. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Steve, obviously your not hearing what I have said previously. You keep saying he can build one to suit but at what cost. IF he is willing to spend money then anything can be done. However, originally we were dealing with a mid $20k budget. Get it? Now I will settle down and move on. Dale your in great hands here evidently so you know where I am at if you want to go look at something.