Does the 246GT transaxle have any hypoid bevel gears? | FerrariChat

Does the 246GT transaxle have any hypoid bevel gears?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Pantdino, Aug 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The most recent Pantera club newsletter describes the ZF transaxle in the car as having spiral-bevel as opposed to hypoid bevel gears.

The difference is that hypoid bevel gears have some sliding as part of their contact and thus need GL5 oils, whereas if there are no hypoid bevel gears you shouldn't need GL5 and can stick with GL4 oil, which is kinder to brass and aluminum.

Does the 246GT transaxle have hypoid or spiral-bevel gears?

Thank you,

Jim Oddie

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    #2 Ferrari Tech, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Forgive me for going all technical ticky-tack, but a 246GT transaxle has neither hypoid nor spiral-bevel gears as Wade indicated. This is a spiral bevel gear set (the pinion axis and the ring gear axis intersect):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The gear set Wade posted (and what is used in a 246/308 transaxle and transfer gears) is a helical spur gear -- but the discussion still applies (helical spur gear or spiral bevel gear = no sliding = GL4 OK; hypoid bevel gear = some sliding = GL5 best).

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If this Q is ending up asking for transaxle oil recommendations, there is only one; RedLine 75-90NS

PS - after recently changing from Swepco 201, I no longer think these two oils are equal in a Dino transaxle

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #5 finnerty, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is a further distinction that differentiates a hypoid gearing from a spiral bevel gearing as well ---- The hypoid is a refined type of spiral bevel gear whose axis does not intersect with the axis of the meshing gear (in other words, there is an axial offset). The shape of a hypoid gear "tooth" is a revolved hyperboloid (that is, the pitch surface of the hypoid gear is a hyperbolic surface), whereas the shape of a spiral bevel gear surface is normally conical.

Here is the configuration of a hypoid gearing --- it is readily identifiable at a lay-person's glance just by the relative 90 degree angles and the offset of the axes --- no other system has both characteristics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have been using RedLine 75-90NS in the Dino and Pantera, but it is a GL 5 oil

Why wouldn't RedLine MT 90, which is a 75W-90 GL 4, be a better choice if GL 5s are inherently bad for softer metals?

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Redline MTL or MT90 is the transmission oil recommended by Brian Crall, aka Rifledriver.

I switched to MTL (75W80 GL4) this spring from Redline 75W90NS GL5 in my 308 GTS QV, and the MTL made a significant improvement with shifting to second gear when cold.

8. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's what one would expect based on the viscosity at cold temps. These trannys are stiff when cold bec the oil is thicker when cold. After it warms up it is thinner and hence the car shifts better.

I suppose if you tracked your car or drove the snot out of it for long periods you might want the thicker oil in there, but for most of us the MTL is probably a better choice. I think I'll change.