488 - Does this happen when buying used? | FerrariChat

488 Does this happen when buying used?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AD211, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looking to trade in my ‘10 Cali (purchased in 2017) on a one owner 2017 488 GTB with 2100 miles. From reading other threads I’m thinking the first owner got a miniature scale version of the car and a key box? Is that correct? If so, I’d certainly like to get my hands on them and I have asked the dealer to inquire about them (consignment sale). Do owners that run through multiple cars typically hold on to these items?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    The owner may or may not have received but, IMHO, I wouldn't let it influence the decision-making too much if you dig the 488.
    You can always just buy a model and boxes come up for sale from time to time.
    Good luck with the hunt and be sure to post pics

Mighty Joe likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Owners hold on to them. Zero chance you will
    Get it purchasing used.

sampelligrino, mkraft3003 and IloveGT like this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    As a first owner ( I specced my car ) I would keep all the goodies if I were to sell her as reminder :)

But if I was selling privately if the new owner demanded them I would give them up provided they didnt screw me on the price.

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    screw it! i keep all the toy cars.

ScottS and MANDALAY like this.
  6. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Funny, I just bought a 2017 488 GTB (first exotic - proper intro post and photos to follow), and I had no idea that new owners received this. Then again, I'm in Korea, so the model car gift may not apply here.

Most important thing is that you find the car with the right spec and history, at a price that's acceptable to you. I pulled the trigger two weeks ago and have been on cloud nine ever since. It is an incredible car.

MANDALAY and LVP488 like this.
  7. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray

The 1:43 painted models come from MR collection so, you could custom order one to match your car. Here is the link,

https://atelier-mrcollection.com/atelier/

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks for posting that. Sent an inquiry to see what it would cost to get a replica of my Speciale (bought used)

9. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I bought my car last Summer and I wished I would have known that these items were given to the original purchaser of the cars. Having this information I would have at least asked the owner to include them in the sale of his car. He could have said no but at least I would have tied to get them.....
    I don't get why people who but multiple cars from Ferrari don't include them with the sale of the cars. Do the owners have a closet full of them just as trophies?
    My wife calls me a hoarder with the things I collect and can't let go of but I can't see the joy of having something from a car that I don't own anymore. Kind of like keeping 1 of the 2 keys to the car and saying the new owner will be ok as they only need 1 and i want to keep the other as a memento.....

Maybe it is just me but let the flames begin if I am in the wrong......

Thanks, Gene Greer

10. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    I got a scale model in a see through display case, as well three or so build pictures from production line. dont remember a key box. dealer also threw in some goodies like travel cup, cap, etc...

11. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Traded in my 488 and gave the dealer the box and litho to pass on to the new owner. I received a very nice message from the new owner that made my day. Pay it forward...

LARRYH, Regular Guy 01 and gmo28 like this.
  12. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for the insight guys. Nothing like ‘zero chance’ to fire me up. I spoke with the seller today and he agreed to send in the replica. So....we’ll see. I fly to Miami in the morning to see the car in person and take a test drive.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, ScottS, Coincid and 3 others like this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I received all the goodies.
    Carbon Fibre box with the key holder and silver 488 GTB.
    3 PRODUCTION PICTURES
    100% REPLICA OF THE 488 GTB even with the correct paint RCM in Perspex box
    Lithograph
    Leather pouch with a congratulations letter
    And a telephone call from Italy :)
    plus the dealers presents , wines , assorted mixes etc

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    yes and why not, didn't you get the car at far less than MSRP?

JohnTz and Shadowfax like this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I agree with you wrs. As the original owners we keep these things as mementos of what was. No need to surrender them to pad up an already cheap deal for the used buyer. I'm not giving any of mine back. Forget it. If they want these then it will cost - big.

16. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer

Congrats on getting this to happen and I hope you have a safe flight.
    I hope the car is everything you are looking for and it is the one for you.
    Please let us know how this works out and your purchasing experience.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

tomc likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t know about anyone else but on my bar I have a replica of every exotic car I’ve purchased over the years. Most are just cheap models but when I get my Pista, It will be the nicest of the bunch and no I’m
    Not giving it up whenever I sell the car I the future.

18. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    The value of the models depends on the person. Most owners seem to want to keep them, which makes sense since the person that specs the car generally has the greatest sentimental attachment to it.

But if you are getting a standard spec car (ie. resale red on tan), then there will be tons of mass produced high quality car models that you can purchase.

19. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks Gene. In ATL headed to SC shortly. Surprised how packed the airport is. MIA was a ghost town.

Loved the 488. Should be shipping to me next week as my Cali will be shipping south. Only issue I found was the CF shield was scratched slightly due to the Cavallino being loose. Knew they were offered aftermarket (Ricambi) but didn’t know they were not from the factory. I guess only yellow shields are factory? It will be repaired/replaced. But, crazy fast as compared to the Cali and my daily (Suburban!). Inside and out were perfect otherwise. Books, keys, trickle charger, cover, and soon the mini model all included.

View attachment 2967527

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice new ride Andy!
    Congrats and enjoy the new F-car!
    T

AD211 likes this.
  21. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Yup, no factory carbon shields, just center caps for the wheels. As for the model, some get them some don't (apparently they go through the dealer first and are frequently "lost" in the mail). Many times, they show up 1-2 years AFTER you get your car so it is not unusual for the original buyer to get the model after you have already sold the car! As for the carbon box, I didn't get one until I had bought my third new Ferrari. Who knows. I have gotten two models and I kept both as others said, as a memento (I don't delete pictures of my car off of my computer either:cool:). I've had my Pista almost 8 months, so far no model.

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I've kept mine and no one's ever asked for them; but if they did, I think I would say no. First, they're a memento of my ownership and specific spec and they mean more to me than most anyone else. Second, most buyers are just going to pass the car on to another owner in a year or three, and it's just going to get lost somewhere along the chain of ownership. However, if I ever learned that a future owner thought of the car as a "keeper for life", then I would consider passing it on to them.

23. Regular Guy 01

Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hi Andy,

I am glad to hear that your trip went well and that the car was the one.
    Congrats on the purchase and I am sure that you will enjoy and drive your new car like crazy.
    Getting all the items in the purchase is a plus (including the model) but if the car is "the one" I doubt that not getting a model would keep you from buying it.

Stay safe and have fun,
    Gene Greer

24. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  25. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The first owner can have the box and the mini car! LOL I purchased a 2016 488 GTB early this year and the car just knocks me out! It is amazing and its not my first F-car. I've owned a 360 and two (2) F430 Spiders....Drove a few 458's, but when I finally drove the 488 it was something ultra special and it checked all my box's..... Buy the car...you'll be amazed!!!

SoCal to az, johnr265 and AD211 like this.